International Players Thread

GazzyB

6 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Just Googled it, Henri Anier still only 30...feels like he played for us about 10 year ago...was only back in 2014!

I think he's played for 9 clubs since he left us, Ojamaa seems to always be on the move as well. Nice transfer fee received from both back then. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Given how well Patterson played the other night the knives will be out for O'Donnell if he isn't anything other than his usual solid self.

Other than his involvement in the goal do you really think he played that  well?  From what I saw he ran about a lot but seldom passed to a Scotland player and his crossing was terrible. Admittedly though, he was not really tested from a defensive point of view.  All about opinions I know, but I was not overly impressed. Maybe he was just a bit rusty having played only once for Rangers this season but I did not think he was an upgrade on SOD.

5 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Other than his involvement in the goal do you really think he played that  well?  From what I saw he ran about a lot but seldom passed to a Scotland player and his crossing was terrible. Admittedly though, he was not really tested from a defensive point of view.  All about opinions I know, but I was not overly impressed. Maybe he was just a bit rusty having played only once for Rangers this season but I did not think he was an upgrade on SOD.

That was my thoughts also. I hope the young guy reaches the heights he is getting labelled at as we could do with more quality in the squad. I liked that he was running direct but he lost possession often if it wasn't a powderpuff cross and was getting it nicked off him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt due to lack of game time. 

That's the tough thing for O'Donnell he was keeping the only genuine contender for the Scotland squad from Govan out of the side and they'll not be having that. 

4 minutes ago, Kat said:

That was my thoughts also. I hope the young guy reaches the heights he is getting labelled at as we could do with more quality in the squad. I liked that he was running direct but he lost possession often if it wasn't a powderpuff cross and was getting it nicked off him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt due to lack of game time. 

That's the tough thing for O'Donnell he was keeping the only genuine contender for the Scotland squad from Govan out of the side and they'll not be having that. 

At present I really do think SOD should be first choice. If Patterson did not play for Rangers he would not be getting hyped up to the extent he is. Compare his media to that of Doig at Hibs who in my opinion is every bit as good, and has much more first team game time under his belt. Patterson may well turn out to be a top player but it is very early days.

Ironically the player who is keeping Patterson out of the Rangers team I think now also qualifies for Scotland. According to Fifa and Uefa that is. But we have a Home Nations agreement that none of the four countries will select players who qualify purely on residency, if that player was born in any of the other three countries.

I thought Patterson had a very shaky first 10 minutes but was very solid after that, more effective going forward than O'Donnell.

I think O'Donnell is the better option of the two but for weaker teams where we want our wing backs to get forward more Patterson would be my preferred choice.

Stephen O’Donnell represented his country and his club tonight with industry, integrity and a considerable amount of skilful enterprise and as Motherwell supporters we should be proud of him. He is a far more complete player than Patterson and 

, in the face of a media groomed to fawn over every emerging Old Firm prospect, Stephen played much better defensively and at least equally well in attack than young Patterson did - and against considerably better opposition. Maybe some of his passing was wayward but he busted a gut for the team, got into some great positions and represented a genuine threat going forward. So well done the Motherwell captain!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I thought SOD first half was very poor but settled down and unlucky with chance 2nd half.  I think long term Patterson will play there but would rather have him there than Ralston who was being touted....no way

I think that two poor crosses soured opinions against him.  Who got more crosses in (poor or otherwise), who got more shots away, who got more shots on target, who made more penetrating runs, who kept the Austrian main man away from our goal?

Clarke builds his teams on the basis of being difficult to beat. The fact that O'Donnell was his man at Kilmarnock and that he is better defensively than Patterson makes it likely he will continue to be first choice in most games.

To keep things in perspective, Patterson (who hasn't made a league appearance this season) had a decent game against a team that just lost to the Faroes. I don't doubt he'll be a key player in future squads, but not yet.

Rangers don't have anyone in the team, so Patterson is getting a lot of hype despite not playing for his club.  He was at best average the other night, which is fine, but SOD has pretty much done the same. We don't get hurt down that side any more than the side with our two big premiership players on it, but no other player/position gets the same scrutiny.

A lot of people are spending way too much time analyzing O'donnell, and fair play to him for ignoring it and getting on with his career. No one can take those 20+ caps away from him.

• Like 3