International Players Thread

GazzyB

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

A lot of people are spending way too much time analyzing O'donnell, and fair play to him for ignoring it and getting on with his career. No one can take those 20+ caps away from him.

Plus 12 of those caps were won while playing for Motherwell - which equals the record for a 'Well player, apparently.

I have been critical of sod in the past, but tonight bar one or two iffy crosses , he was very good..one part of a very good defensive line up.

sometimes feel he overthinks his final ball, it could be he is trying to be too precise , it's up to forwards to attack it.Look af Ailba last night , he fires it into good areas and it's up to the forwards.

We shouldn't be comparing the young lad Paterson to sod either, 2 different players , both with attributes and limitations. Its not his fault he plays with one of the old firm

Anyway long winded way of saying well played Sod.

He plays just fine for us too. It's just that when he joined the club, some fans immediately decided he was useless and will never change their mind.

Despite a few dodgy crosses last night, he often hits quality balls into the box and that is something that Grimmy (and Mugabi) don't offer.

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

He plays just fine for us too. It's just that when he joined the club, some fans immediately decided he was useless and will never change their mind.

Despite a few dodgy crosses last night, he often hits quality balls into the box and that is something that Grimmy (and Mugabi) don't offer.

Not really , he can switch off at times and his crossing is iffy , but he had a good game last night tbf.

as did jack hendry, who didn’t stand out for me before, so the old adage is true , you’re only as good or bad as your last game.

5 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

S'OD plays well for Scotland - who play a different formation to 'Well.    He's pushed further up and better protected by a central back 3.

He does receive a fair amount of stick - he was excellent again last night. 

In fairness and meaning no disrespect, he also plays alongside players of a far higher calibre with Scotland than he does for us.

You often hear the opposite side of that argument about Andy Robertson when he is criticised for not playing as well for Scotland as he does for Liverpool.

SO’D is a really good player with bags of ability but I think he is more suited to playing for Scotland and the way they play than he does for Motherwell.

Great performance from O'Donnell who continues to defy his critics. Nice to see him equal George Stevenstons club record. Just goes to show how hard it is to get capped playing for Motherwell that the record has lasted so long. Fully anticiapte SOD will break it during the next round of games if fit.

Donnelly not on the bench for Northern Ireland tonight. Hope that's not due to an injury concern.

O'Donnell is now the most capped Scotland player for us and for Killie, quite an achievement. 

I was going to ask how many of Craigens caps did he get while playing for us? But I'm assuming all of them as he wasn't exactly setting the heather alight when he was at Thistle.

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

In fairness and meaning no disrespect, he also plays alongside players of a far higher calibre with Scotland than he does for us.

Agree he plays with much higher calibre with Scotland  My thoughts are we don't help ourselves - other than S'OD what do we offer on the right hand side of the park - there's been no right midfield and any winger/front 3 player has been pretty poor on the right.

If we had a solid back 3 behind him or someone in right midfield I think we'd see more.

Putting that to the side I love seeing Well players in the national team - something we can be proud of. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

I was going to ask how many of Craigens caps did he get while playing for us? But I'm assuming all of them as he wasn't exactly setting the heather alight when he was at Thistle.

Not quite. 51 of his 54 caps were while he was at Motherwell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Not really , he can switch off at times and his crossing is iffy , but he had a good game last night tbf.

His crossing is better than any other right sided player in our team and something I think we've missed since he's been out. And he's got a decent shot on him too.

For Scotland, he's not as good as Robertson or Tierney, but he's much better than some make out.

I agree he switches off at times - that, however, can be applied to just about everyone in our team. My main point is he's not the useless numpty some make him out to be. And when we have players like Gallagher, O'Donnell and Kelly getting international recognition while playing at Fir Park, it can do us nothing but good when it comes to attracting new players.

26 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Cheers for that.

They must have been really struggling for centre halfs back then.

He was very much the SOD of his day (and country).  People thought he wasn’t good enough and played for an unfashionable club.

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

SOD and Kelly in the squad, no place for Watt. 

No place for Gallagher either, absolute fanny he is. 

Tbh I'd still rather have Gallagher over McKenna in that middle CB spot for Scotland. McKenna has to be one of the most overhyped players ever.

Ojala over either of the two of them for us. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Gallagher was very good but ever since all that nonsense last season, I’m not sure that he has done anything to merit inclusion in the squad. 

He was a classic example of a player getting too big for his boots after getting an International call up. He was superb for us during his first (3/4) season and thoroughly deserved his Scotland selection but his application last season for us was dreadful. He was the best defender at the club by a mile and he knew it, but in his mind he seemed to have decided he was already on to bigger and better things than us.

Shades of Mark McGhee in 2007/08 after he was linked with the Scotland managers job actually.

• Like 1