International Players Thread

GazzyB

On 10/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, joewarkfanclub said:

I dont see Zander Clark every week so impossible to say. But by the same token, the elected member doesnt see Liam Kelly every week. He would have a point if he simply directed his fire at McLaughlin as he isnt playing every week for Rangers. But to say Clark isnt getting selected for Scotland because he plays for a provincial club is laughable given who Kelly plays for.  Overall though its just a pish story from The Sun to fill pages by trawling Twitter to find anything remotely contraversial.

Honestly I'd pick Clark over Kelly right now.

He's won trophies, he's more experienced in general but crucially he has more big game experience.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with McLaughlin at Rangers cos he has a much better record in goal this season than McGregor but generally I don't think you should be selected for internationals if you aren't playing club football.  Maybe goalkeeper is slightly different from outfield positions but overall I'm not keen.  

Given his record, I'm  always happy to give Clarke the benefit of the doubt with his formations and tactics - even when it comes to O'Donnell vs Patterson.

Playing McTominay in back 3, however, is a head-scratcher. He's tried a few times to squeeze him in there and apart from 1 game, he's always been the weak link - even more in a 3 vs a 4.

6 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

If that's the case, then his International career is over, if he can't be picked to play in front of his home crowd.

Was at my first Scotland match for years yesterday and disappointed that SOD was not selected. What pleased me though was that not one fan around me had a bad word for him. Those fans represented a wide range of clubs, although Rangers were not one of them. Their comments seemed to echo the reception he got at Wembley. 
To a man they questioned Patterson being selected ahead of him. That view was backed up by Patterson’s first half defending and his mistake which led to the first goal. Everybody was tearing into Patterson and McTominay at half time and expecting SOD to be brought on. 

In fairness to both those players they improved dramatically in the second half, and justified Clarke’s persistence. That said, Patterson frequently reminded us that he has a lot to learn defensively. In an attacking sense he was excellent second half. He is young though and likely will improve  his defensive qualities. He may well be the future. 

In short, I don’t think many fans who actually attend Scotland matches have an issue with SOD. That seems to be more of a media thing, who no doubt have their own Rangers focused agenda. And a few Motherwell fans who resented  his signing and will not be content until he moves on. Hopefully the player pays more attention to the fans and Managers, both Club and Country, who recognise his value rather than those with an axe to grind. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Will be interesting to see if O'Donnell starts in Moldova. He is a better defender than Patterson and we certainly don't want to find ourselves chasing the game there. The bigger issue might be who replaces the suspended Dykes.  Also not convinced we know our best central defender combination.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can completely understand why Zander Clark has been picked over Liam Kelly, going by both their recent form.

O’Donnell has been dismal for us but looks a different player in a Scotland jersey.

And, most importantly, Tony Watt isn’t selected :yahoo:

45 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I also see that fud  Clarke has ignored Tony Watt again to bring in some random pseudo Scotsman that nobody has heard of from Stoke.

I know Clarke picks guys he thinks he can trust,  but it doesnt send out a good message...tony watt looks a level above, odonnel shouldn't be in our starting 11...I dont know who else is in right back contention apart from Paterson but they must be scratching their head.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

I also see that fud  Clarke has ignored Tony Watt again to bring in some random pseudo Scotsman that nobody has heard of from Stoke.

" that fud Clarke" took Scotland to the EUROS and is on cusp of getting us to the WC play offs whilst on a 4 game unbeaten run.

Not bad in my book .

4 minutes ago, livivoice said:

" that fud Clarke" took Scotland to the EUROS and is on cusp of getting us to the WC play offs whilst on a 4 game unbeaten run.

Not bad in my book .

Whatever, but when you need a striker and ignore the joint top scorer in the Scottish premiership to bring in an unknown English player from the championship,  its not a good look.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Watt will need to prove himself over a more sustained period of time before being considered for Scotland.  

As for SOD - I think it's worth us comparing our approach to games v's Scotlands.  The national team play more to his strengths v's we boot the ball up the park and shout 'chase'

well his strengths were there for all to see on Sunday , that wasnt an isolated case either

if players are picked on merit for scotland , they're watching different players to me.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Whatever, but when you need a striker and ignore the joint top scorer in the Scottish premiership to bring in an unknown English player from the championship,  its not a good look.

This may be utter garbage I am spouting - BUT had we beaten or drawn with Rangers and both Kelly and Watt had very good games I would not be surprised if either or both were selected.  Truth is we conceded 6 in an awful display.  Also Kelly has had brain farts v Hearts and St Mirren.  His form has been iffy of late.

So not really surprised by this news.  Only surprise is SODs keeps his place.  I suspect if Calvin Ramsay of Aberdeen was fit his place may have been in jeopardy.  He also could have had no complaints based on recent performances. 

Pretty gutting for Watt on a personal level; with the absence of Christie and Dykes he would have never had a better chance to get involved. He won't get that opportunity again.

As for Motherwell fans actually happy that he hasn't been selected, what a dreadfully selfish mindset.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Pretty gutting for Watt on a personal level; with the absence of Christie and Dykes he would have never had a better chance to get involved. He won't get that opportunity again.

As for Motherwell fans actually happy that he hasn't been selected, what a dreadfully selfish mindset.

Agree totally and i must say despite how poor he has been recently it is still great seeing one of our players in the squad so well done SOD and hopefully he can start proving the doubters wrong

13 hours ago, GazzyB said:

He didn't exactly play out his skin on Sunday to impress Clarke.