International Players Thread

GazzyB

On 11/2/2021 at 1:57 PM, wellsince75 said:

Watt will need to prove himself over a more sustained period of time before being considered for Scotland.  

Like Jacob Brown has over the past two seasons?

On last night's performance, O'Donnell was superb. The only thing that really prevents him playing at a level above us is consistency at club level.

Happy for O'Donnell, he was solid last night. Patterson is the future, no doubt about it, but a lot of his play is still dodgy, he gets clamped on the half way line far too much for my liking and It puts a lot of strain on the centre backs. Going forward, his delivery is obviously great. 

The witch hunt O'Donnell has been subjected to over the last few months, at both club and country level, has been embarrassing. Even the amount of time the pundits spent on it before the England game was a joke, he took even more flak than Marshall in that opening game. It's no wonder his confidence might've taken a dive. 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

SOD and Liam Kelly make the squad for the upcoming friendly vs Poland.

O'Donnell's form has been up and down this season, playing very well at Ibrox and 2nd half vs Hibs, and Clarke rates him highly so not surprised he's there. Some interesting comments from Clarke re his direct competition...

"Nathan Patterson got a fantastic move to Everton that hasn't quite worked out for him. It would have been difficult to pick Nathan for a competitive game being honest but going into a friendly situation it might be a chance for us to get minutes into Nathan's legs.

...and some indirect competition for him in the form of Aaron Hickey who is by trade a LB but can play RB too.

Pleasing for them both.

It's always good to see any of our players get international recognition.im not odonnells biggest fan but he hasn't let scotland down so deserves to be in the squad.hes a better player than what he has shown for us,it's just a pity we don't get more out of him.

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

S'OD has been solid for Scotland. Very dependable. Often plays further up the park which suits his strengths.   I can see why he's included. 

Aye, he obviously has history with Steve Clarke, and Clarke knows exactly what he can get out of him when he needs it. Depending on the tactics for the game, O'Donnell and Patterson offer different options, and that's never a bad thing.

Players from "lesser" teams often do better at international level because they are playing alongside better players.

It's always a positive when our players get international recognition as we can use it as an additional selling point when we're trying to recruit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

I think Kelly is above Marshall in the pecking order and think both will shate a game at least.

Clarke is a fairly safety first pragmatic manager. He goes with experience and who he can trust. Both Gordon and Marshall have cash in the bank in that regard (much like O'Donnell). It would he a good opportunity to give Kelly a debut in one of the games, so its out the way should he find himself suddenly thrust into the position, but in reality, I dont thinknhe is likely to get much game time if any as Clarke will want to maintain momentum for the play offs. Id be delighted to be proved wrong though.

18 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Wild that O'Donnell makes the squad given he struggles to start for us.

I actually think O'Donnell's problems with us say more about us than it does him. He's a different player when he plays for Scotland, which may be because Scotland's manager knows how to better utilise him.

14 minutes ago, David said:

I actually think O'Donnell's problems with us say more about us than it does him. He's a different player when he plays for Scotland, which may be because Scotland's manager knows how to better utilise him.

I understand why you might think that, but some of O'Donnell's worst moments lately have been down to things like horrendous technical mistakes or poor positioning. Was it the St Mirren game where he had about 4 first touches that were genuinely the level of the amateurs? He was honking that night and it was nothing to do with how the manager utilised him.

48 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I understand why you might think that, but some of O'Donnell's worst moments lately have been down to things like horrendous technical mistakes or poor positioning. Was it the St Mirren game where he had about 4 first touches that were genuinely the level of the amateurs? He was honking that night and it was nothing to do with how the manager utilised him.

Could be a confidence problem? There's been whispers of him not getting on with the manager after daring to challenge his tactics and approach? Could be a lot of nonsense, of course, but there's clearly a reason why he looks solid at international level, and why he also looked solid enough for us up to a certain point, only to fall away as he has. 

Not getting consistent game time won't help, and neither will getting dogs abuse from the stands when he does play. Bad enough that players get that from the opposition, but he gets it from his own clubs fans. 

Regardless, he's clearly capable of so much more than he's currently showing with us, for whatever reason. But for me, if a player is rubbish, he's rubbish. You don't go from being technically amateur as you suggest, to being good enough to hold your own against the eventual finalists at an international tournament.