International Players Thread

GazzyB

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Absolutely frightening that SOD could have been the Scotland RB in an WC playoff game.

He was the right back in the euro finals against the host nation so why not in a world cup play off. I think he is a safer bet at this time than Paterson although the real talent is the young man from Italy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David said:

There's been whispers of him not getting on with the manager after daring to challenge his tactics and approach? Could be a lot of nonsense, of course, but there's clearly a reason why he looks solid at international level, and why he also looked solid enough for us up to a certain point, only to fall away as he has. 

GA has a reputation of being overly single minded  - a bit of a Jim Gannon about him.  Can't help but suspect this is why Slattery/SOD got dropped and part of the reason Watt was so keen to leave.

As for S'OD I like and rate him.  He has his flaws as do all our team but can't ever recall a time so many of our fans were against a player with Scottish Caps.   He quickly became a man many loved to critique and doubted would ever resign for us  - we could do a lot worse than having Scottish intonational squad players. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David said:

Could be a confidence problem? There's been whispers of him not getting on with the manager after daring to challenge his tactics and approach? Could be a lot of nonsense, of course, but there's clearly a reason why he looks solid at international level, and why he also looked solid enough for us up to a certain point, only to fall away as he has. 

Not getting consistent game time won't help, and neither will getting dogs abuse from the stands when he does play. Bad enough that players get that from the opposition, but he gets it from his own clubs fans. 

Regardless, he's clearly capable of so much more than he's currently showing with us, for whatever reason. But for me, if a player is rubbish, he's rubbish. You don't go from being technically amateur as you suggest, to being good enough to hold your own against the eventual finalists at an international tournament. 

Very true, maybe getting cups full of coke launched at his face affects him a wee bit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Very true, maybe getting cups full of coke launched at his face affects him a wee bit.

Dingwall? That’s a non story regardless what you believe. Without getting into the rights and wrongs of it, not the intended target & unfortunately was in close proximity.

O'Donnell looks to me like he's not that interested.

I don't seem him busting a gut or making the extra effort.  He is the captain as well.  

Instead I seeing him making a lot of basic errors and not looking that fussed about getting on the end of things.

When you can't hold down right back position for a far from good Motherwell side should you be playing for Scotland?  

OK, he will be playing in a different environment with better players with Scotland but honestly I'd be looking to replace him for next season.

Our full backs this season have been god awful.

There seems to be a myth that O'Donnell turns into a different player when he is with Scotland. 

He makes the same basic technical mistakes, runs like he's towing a tractor but there is maybe a bit of better understanding of his ability from Clarke.

On 3/16/2022 at 2:49 PM, David said:

There's been whispers of him not getting on with the manager after daring to challenge his tactics and approach? Could be a lot of nonsense, of course

He's not the only player that has those rumours are floating around.

On 3/17/2022 at 12:35 AM, Onthefringes said:

Dingwall? That’s a non story regardless what you believe. Without getting into the rights and wrongs of it, not the intended target & unfortunately was in close proximity.

Shouldn't have been a target full stop, if not for SOD then was aimed at someone else which still makes it wrong.  Has happened far too often and needs to be stopped.  That's it.......said my peace....lol

14 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Shouldn't have been a target full stop, if not for SOD then was aimed at someone else which still makes it wrong.  Has happened far too often and needs to be stopped.  That's it.......said my peace....lol

Like I said, without getting into the rights and wrongs of it - story was done to death at the time. Lad (has held his hands up) aimed it at those hogging the perimeter rather taking a seat which was problematic for those around them including our disabled supporters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Like I said, without getting into the rights and wrongs of it - story was done to death at the time. Lad (has held his hands up) aimed it at those hogging the perimeter rather taking a seat which was problematic for those around them including our disabled supporters.

Fair do's , hopefully lesson learned. COYW

Ireland U21s away to Sweden live on RTE Player. Free to all.

Tierney with a smart finish to put Ireland one up. Amazing what he can do when he gets a chance to play. Time to trust him.   He needs a decent run in our team to see what he can do. Playing just behind the main striker. Having a good game so far.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Tierney with a smart finish to put Ireland one up. Amazing what he can do when he gets a chance to play. Time to trust him.   He needs a decent run in our team to see what he can do. Playing just behind the main striker. Having a good game so far.

Problem is very few players get a run in our first team!

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

completely with you - he's been dangerous ever time on the park.  Sadly he can't play anywhere in the front 3 which I suspect is the reason he doesn't get a game .   

He'd be straight in my starting 11  - offers a spark that we otherwise don't have. 

Finished 2-0. Ireland scored the second goal after a break away in the last few minutes. Sweden must wonder how they lost to be honest. Irish goalie was superb. Our boy played the full game and never stopped working up and down the pitch..

Odd that neither Kelly or Clark were given debuts over the two fixtures. Either the manager holds such store in keeping the unbeaten run going and having some momentum and confidence going into key qualifying matches, though you wonder what two draws where we lose late goals to give up a winning position does for that, or he really just doesn't rate either option as a viable replacement for a 39 year old.

Say what you like about Stephen O’Donnell but since he arrived at FP he’s been a model professional. He doesn’t moan or bad mouth the club or manager if he gets dropped and always puts 100% in when called on to play.  Refreshing in this day and age.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The African said:

Odd that neither Kelly or Clark were given debuts over the two fixtures. Either the manager holds such store in keeping the unbeaten run going and having some momentum and confidence going into key qualifying matches, though you wonder what two draws where we lose late goals to give up a winning position does for that, or he really just doesn't rate either option as a viable replacement for a 39 year old.

As steelboy has said, Gordon has kept us in it. While he plays like that you cannot change the goalie no matter what if you dont have to.

48 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

As steelboy has said, Gordon has kept us in it. While he plays like that you cannot change the goalie no matter what if you dont have to.

Gordon kept us in it.....It was a friendly  ffs the result does not matter these matches are all about getting players game time, and having a look at the new faces brought into the squad.  Clarke brought Kelly into the squad as he obviously thought he was up to the standard required and then does not play him its a nonsense, over the 2 games he should have had some game time.

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Gordon kept us in it.....It was a friendly  ffs the result does not matter these matches are all about getting players game time, and having a look at the new faces brought into the squad.  Clarke brought Kelly into the squad as he obviously thought he was up to the standard required and then does not play him its a nonsense, over the 2 games he should have had some game time.

Friendly or not, Clarke will want to win. There werent many changes in his two teams from his best team. Dont get me wrong I was hoping Kelly would play too but I understand why he didnt.  ffs as you say.