Motherwell v Aberdeen 11/09/21

SteelmaninOZ

I don't mind international football, but the need to have a break from domestic action  can be a bit of a drag. Oh for the good old days of internationals on a Wednesday night with normal service resumed on the weekend.

As for this game, looks like a good chance to see where we currently stand in the great scheme of things. Hopefully we have had a productive few days, further bedding in the new arrivals. I am sure that a decent performance will see us pick up a point at least.

• Like 1

Likewise, I can’t stand international breaks during the season. All they do is get in the way of the real football. 

Tough one on Saturday, hopefully we are at or as near to full strength as we can be.

Can see this one either being a draw or a narrow loss.

2-2 or 1-2

McGinley deserves another chance. He was poor last season but I'm sure Alexander has told him what he wants to see from him. For me he was too passive as a defender and needs to stop backing off players and be more physical.

The last time we played Aberdeen with fans at Fir Park was nearly two years ago. Obviously both  clubs have new managers but even on the playing side there is only Grimmy and Maguire in contention for us and Lewis, Considine and McGinn for them.  That definitely makes the game more interesting and Gallagher and Brown in their team should add a good bit of spite to the atmosphere.

• Like 1

I thought McGinley was OK last season, but really struggled in his first few games this season. Hopfeully, that was just him taking a little longer after pre-season.

Doesn't appear to be much between the two teams at this point, and would not be suprised if we pick up all 3 points. The winner coming from a penalty when Gallagher fouls Watt.

I also hate the international breaks, and miss the days when players would play club football on Saturday, a Scotland game on a Wednesday and back to their club games the following Saturday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really looking forward to getting back to Fir Park for this one and finally getting to sit in my own seat with an unrestricted crowd. Absolutely no idea how this one is going to go due to the number of changes in both squads. Just hope we have been able to bed in some of our new players and we get a competitive performance from them.  I think McGinley gets a bad press on here. He is far from the worst defender we have ever had and would benefit from a run of games in his natural position.

Re the international break. That probably deserves a whole thread of its own. I love international football and playing for your country at the World Cup should be the pinnacle of every players career, but I understand the frustrations everyone has about the week of football which, lets face it, is entirely designed for tv audiences and makes it very tough for supporters who want to travel home and away.

Anyway 2-1 Motherwell based on absolutely nothing!

I think this could go in any direction. We certainly go into this with choices in attack, midfield, and defence. We could see a first 11 with over half the players being summer signings which is quite exciting, the two Scandinavians, Van Veen, Roberts, Slattery, Woolery, Goss all look in with a shout which would only leave 3 outfield players from last season, quite a turnaround. For me a game that should give an indication of just how the season may pan out. I like Carroll but still think McGinley has something about him if given a run in a settled team and O’Donnell is solid enough. Watt needs to start every game regardless and I’d like to see Donnelly given a run in the team although OHara is not without his merits.

• Like 1