Motherwell v Aberdeen 11/09/21

SteelmaninOZ

4 hours ago, fizoxy said:

We showed again that pretty possession between the boxes is meaningless if you don't do anything with it. I can't fault a single player on our team, everyone put in a good shift and did exactly what needed to be done.

Three wins on the trot with Mugabi at right back and Grimshaw in midfield. Alexander murderball works.

How can you not love Van Veen? What's the chances of Aberdeen bidding for him in January?

Depends whether Alexander has taken over from Glass by then.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, parko66 said:

Am i correct that there was a red card after the final whistle? Don't know who it was for but sure i saw the ref flash the red card in the middle of the pitch?

One of the Aberdeen coaches got a red at the end.

Why the hell he was complaining to Beaton beats the F@$£ out of me.

38 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

We just look so physical up front and along the backline going to hussle and muscle alot of teams off the ball.This could turn out to be one of the best transfer windows in a long long while i really like what we are building here and with most of them on long term contracts its all clicking into place.

So the manager may actually have an idea what hes doing. Think he may have been our best signing for a while. Signed the right type of players.

Great performance from pretty much everyone today, and for all Aberdeen's possession, I was never too worried at any point. KVV was excellent but the back three were outstanding and Kelly dealt with anything that got past them with ease.

A special mention for John Beaton, how he managed to ignore that Brown challenge on KVV after some of the fouls he awarded against us takes a level of incompetence which even Collum can't achieve.

• Like 1

The brown challenge that everyone got riled up about was nothing, and Van Veen had two or three worse than that. Brown is still a dick though.

I thought woolery was unlucky with his yellow card, as they were just niggly fouls and nothing cynical. It's not his fault that he's a unit. Van Veen and O'Hara deserved theirs, with the latter coming from a pretty reckless aerial challenge. Grimmy had to work hard for his, with JET dragging him along for a bit after his attempted rugby tackle.

The best bit was Slattery being a wide-o (is that how you write it?) all game and coming out clean. He's a sneaky wee shite.

We know that GA will stick with a winning side, and that's fair enough. I think we will see SOD and Donnelly in as soon as we lose a game. Having both Donnelly and Slattery on the pitch with Van Veen will be some level of wideness, and I'd love to see it at Glasgow away game to generate some hate from those mobs.

Liam should have went for the drop kick when that chance bounced off his chest.

The 2nd was definitely Ojala's, it bounced behind the line after coming down off the bar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Clearly loads of people have paid a score to have an empty seat next to them. 

Always going to happen. 

No need to pay extra if its a free kids season ticket, I got one for my grand daughter she won't be at every game but I assume they are counting it in the total number

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fizoxy said:
The best bit was Slattery being a wide-o (is that how you write it?) all game and coming out clean. He's a sneaky wee 

Got it in one … … As I said in an earlier post Gorrin with brains.

The number of time today he drew fouls by just slowing down and let the Aberdeen player run into him then going down like a sack of potatoes was brilliant 

There really isn't much to add to what others have said. This was probably the best performance of the season so far. We do seem to take time to get up to speed in a match, but after the initial 20mins today we started to get a grip of the game which culminated in a superb goal. The second half was very much Motherwell being willing to give up territory while being dangerous in the counter. When the second came it looked like it could be more. However, Alexander isn't about to chase goals. He chose to protect what we had and Motherwell comfortably saw out the remainder of the game.

There were no failures on the pitch for Motherwell today. Special mention to Mugabi who is really starting to get to grips with the right back position, Solholm was absolutely solid, excellent considering this was his debut. Up front Van Veen, Watt and Woolery terrorised the Aberdeen back line any time that they got good possession in the mid to final third.

Let's hope that is the level of performance that we have to look forward to this season.

One final point, the atmosphere at Fir Park these days is electric. Let's keep it up through thick and thin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

All he had to do was head the ball into an empty net for a 2nd career goal, but he over complicated it and lost the chance.

A natural striker would have done that instinctively, but no real complaints for me on that miss. It came at chest height pretty quickly.

Really enjoyed that today.

There really is nothing better than a seething home crowd when the opposition come to dive, niggle and frustrate the life out of the game.

To be fair to our opponents, they did play the better football, but our defence was rock solid for the most part and our play was effective, even if it wasnt as easy on the eye.

Highlight of the match was Tony Watts substitution. Having bought a yellow card from Brown, the ruffle of the hair as he walked off inducing a seething death stare from Brown was absolutley class and proved the old addage, those who laugh last laugh longest!

Hopefully now the squad is complete, we can now settle into a preferred starting 11 and formation. With that level of character shown every week we should win more than we lose.

Looking forward to the battles to come now!

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

The brown challenge that everyone got riled up about was nothing, and Van Veen had two or three worse than that. Brown is still a dick though.

I thought woolery was unlucky with his yellow card, as they were just niggly fouls and nothing cynical. It's not his fault that he's a unit. Van Veen and O'Hara deserved theirs, with the latter coming from a pretty reckless aerial challenge. Grimmy had to work hard for his, with JET dragging him along for a bit after his attempted rugby tackle.

The best bit was Slattery being a wide-o (is that how you write it?) all game and coming out clean. He's a sneaky wee shite.

We know that GA will stick with a winning side, and that's fair enough. I think we will see SOD and Donnelly in as soon as we lose a game. Having both Donnelly and Slattery on the pitch with Van Veen will be some level of wideness, and I'd love to see it at Glasgow away game to generate some hate from those mobs.

Liam should have went for the drop kick when that chance bounced off his chest.

The 2nd was definitely Ojala's, it bounced behind the line after coming down off the bar.

Your opinion, and you watched it on TV I presume, but from the Cooper stand, Brown looked way out of control and if Carrol's challenge against Dundee is a red card (and I think it was) then Brown's was absolutely identical (in my opinion).

All about opinions though.

Disregarding all opinions as I like to do when I jump in this forum I thought barring Aberdeen first booking John Beaton had an excellent game. If he was Willie Collum bye bye Van Veen. He was always up against a natural free flowing game as every single player that went down caught the ball on their hands giving him little other in modern day refereeing to give the foul in the direction of that play. 

other than that! Loved the new Norwegian and if I were I boy Tony Watt would be my hero. 

Not had that feeling at a game of football in what feels like years...I was still buzzing hours after the kick off, watched the game on Alba and watched the Sportscene highlights. The wife wasn't impressed at all.

It was said on sportscene that the sheep had 75% possession and it certainly felt that way. This looks like a clear instruction from the manager to allow the other team to have the ball, let them huff and puff and we attempt to hit on the counter. It was evident against both Hibs and Dundee too  At times its really difficult to watch, but who can argue with the results?

The defence was essentially 4 centre backs today, before Lamie came onto make it 5, and that is going to be difficult for any side to breakdown. Ojala was excellent, Solholm looks like a good capture and the two full backs did fine. While a special mention for Kelly, who done everything asked of him...to me, he looks like a keeper that shouldn't be at our level.

Midfield still really concerns me though, Slattery looks a top player but at times yesterday it looked like he was in Midfield himself with both OHara and Grimshaw, really chasing shadows and getting dragged out of position. Hopefully Goss, when up to speed will be the one to come in and help Slattery out.

Up front, I've said it for ages now but Watt is an absolute joy of a player, his work rate is 2nd to none in our team and he can play football as well, he is brilliant and we need to tie him down. His partnership with crazy Dutch bastard could be quite something. I'm yet to be convinced by Woolery, he has physique and pace but I'm not seeing that fitba brain that I like fitba players to have.

I'm in two minds on the shithousery thing...on one hand I quite enjoyed how obvious Alexander made it by whipping off his 3 forwards for 3 big units to help us defend against a side with no real know-how of how to break us done, but the constant dropping to the floor at the slightest touch and grabbing the ball on the way down is really tiresome, both teams were at it and the referee failed to nip it in the bud.

A few other things; when the son of Derek Ferguson isn't getting pelters from the East Stand because he is so far down the bawbag list, you know that you are up against a team of fannies. How good was it to be so comfortable in beating a team with top-class arseholes like Gallagher and Brown in their ranks?...a new one to add to the list is the little bawbag right  back, who seemed to take great delight in trying to rile up our fans when his own team were getting beat.

Tony Watt taking the Harry Hunt out of Brown was a joy to see...as was the Aberdeen fans punching each other about the South Stand. An absolutely brilliant 90 mins at Fir Park.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wunderwell said:

Disregarding all opinions as I like to do when I jump in this forum I thought barring Aberdeen first booking John Beaton had an excellent game. If he was Willie Collum bye bye Van Veen. He was always up against a natural free flowing game as every single player that went down caught the ball on their hands giving him little other in modern day refereeing to give the foul in the direction of that play. 

other than that! Loved the new Norwegian and if I were I boy Tony Watt would be my hero. 

100% agree with this, I cringe every time I see Collum is “in charge” for one of our games. I would rather have a ref that lets the game flow and realises it’s a contact sport than one who’s just unpredictable.