Motherwell v Aberdeen 11/09/21

SteelmaninOZ

3 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

That does seem to be how it works at the moment but may change as time goes by or maybe depend on the opposition. As Alexander mentioned in his after match interview, it’s work in progress but you have to pick up points along the way. At this point in time I think he sees our best option being to shut up shop. Hopefully that will change as the season progresses. Certainly a lot more entertaining to kill a game off by scoring more goals. 

Much as I like free flowing exciting football its not going to win us any trophies. If we go toe to toe with the bigger clubs we're going to come off worst. I think GA's approach is right and realistic if we want to do well. OK its work in progress of course and we're nowhere near the finished article but its the right direction to go in as St Johnstone have proved.  As long as we can defend strongly and soak up pressure successfully then its ok to sit back and defend. We've not been able to do that for years now though. Thats not to say we can't add a more exciting element to our game but perhaps yesterday's match shows were GA is planning to take us. Our FennoScandinavian shieldwall was solid yesterday and even proved to have an offensive aspect to it. Maybe we should sign a modern day Bjorn Ironside or Ragnar Lodbrok to complete the trio  ^_^

6 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It was a mixed bag.

But I actually applauded him at one point when he booked an Aberdeen player (Ferguson I think) for pulling on Woolery's shirt. 

That's a big bugbear for me and I think referee's need to clamp down on it.  If you are obstructing a players movement by jersey pulling why is that different than chopping him down?

I've yet to see it back but at the time I thought the yellow card given on Woolery was one of the most ridiculous bookings I've ever seen.

The highlights will tell I suppose.

17 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think GA is getting closer but there are still a couple of questionmarks. Goss may comed in but for who? O'Hara or Grimshaw. Woolery is in pole position up front but may have to see off competition from Roberts? Playing devil's advocate here. Will Mugbai challenge O'Donnell (on the basis of one good game) and will McGinley challenge Carroll?

As you say good to have real options from the bench.

I’m going to say Goss comes in for Grimshaw however I think we still need another midfielder, the Irish lad being talked about may be it. I can see Roberts nailing down a place if he’s anything like he was in his short spell with us last season. O’Donnell is our first choice right back and I don’t see that changing, Mugabi is really just filling in. I think McGinley is a real challenge for Carroll who needs to settle down at times but does offer plenty of offensive attributes. For me the defence is now more than strong enough and only going to get better as the two Scandinavians get used to playing together, with choices on the left and right along with Lamie and Mugabi as back up in the centre and one of the best goalkeepers in the league behind them we’re in a good place. Up front we also have options now, hopefully the young lad signed from Queen of the south pushes the others for a place in the starting line up. However Slattery needs support and that’s not happening at the moment, sort that out and we look like a very strong unit.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think GA is getting closer but there are still a couple of questionmarks.

Yesterday was the first game played after the transfer window closed, and even then we still had a few players out for various reasons.

GA keeps saying there is a lot to improve, and now we have our squad confirmed I expect to see that improvement over the coming weeks. The positive is that we have picked up a decent number of points while we've been building the squad.

I was very wary at the start of the season but holy moly, organised, drilled, committed, fit, game management, threat and a bit of gallus (Van Veen), Tony Watt has finally found a club that fits and is loved. Added with a top class goalie and 2 CH who read the game and defend for their life's, Ojala will be a 7/10 minimum every week, I have not seen him sprint yet as he reads the game so well and is a massive upgrade on Gallagher.  Long may it continue and let's not get hung up with possession stats as Jose in his Chelsea glory days didn't. Three massive games coming up which we will be quietly confident about. What a difference three results make, onwards and upwards.   

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Much as I like free flowing exciting football its not going to win us any trophies. If we go toe to toe with the bigger clubs we're going to come off worst. I think GA's approach is right and realistic if we want to do well. OK its work in progress of course and we're nowhere near the finished article but its the right direction to go in as St Johnstone have proved.  As long as we can defend strongly and soak up pressure successfully then its ok to sit back and defend. We've not been able to do that for years now though. Thats not to say we can't add a more exciting element to our game but perhaps yesterday's match shows were GA is planning to take us. Our FennoScandinavian shieldwall was solid yesterday and even proved to have an offensive aspect to it. Maybe we should sign a modern day Bjorn Ironside or Ragnar Lodbrok to complete the trio  ^_^

Id prefer Lagartha! Just as effective but a little easier on the eye!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richie said:

Very tall ask at Ibrox.
Very rare for us to get anything there.
Would be far more confident if it was at Fir Park.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It's Rangers in a league game, I'm convinced there's an obscure SPFL rule somewhere that states we can't beat them in league  games as much as I hope otherwise I can't see Sunday being any different. 

25 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

As good as it would be to beat them, look at the amount of chances Aberdeen had that went straight at Kelly.

Restricting the space a striker has and forcing them to shoot in areas that Kelly can easily cover is good defending. They had a couple of decent chances early in the first half, but after that I thought we were very solid.

Having said that, I have zero expectation that we'll beat them.

46 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Restricting the space a striker has and forcing them to shoot in areas that Kelly can easily cover is good defending. They had a couple of decent chances early in the first half, but after that I thought we were very solid.

I’m sure there will be more discussion once the thread is up for the Rangers game but have to agree with you. That’s not to say we shouldn’t try but being realistic, then odds are in favor of us getting beat. I’m hoping the players go in with a positive attitude and a good plan and I’m really hoping we can do a job so I’ll be cheering them on as normal. 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

I think it was a combination of good defending at times and poor finishing at times; from the highlights there were several chances that Aberdeen should have done much better with, only to shoot right down the throat of Kelly.

Throughly enjoyed the game on Saturday, I know Aberdeen have a new management team in place and lots of new faces but they didn't take long to change their ethos, Broon certainly put his stamp onto proceedings quite literally. 

Alexander setup in a similar way against Dundee, he just seems to be happy to let teams spray the ball around from side to side with chances more or less coming from well outside the box or acute angles. Delighted that we are a massive threat from set pieces these days. 

The Aberdeen full backs were going to ground quite easy from the get go, I couldn't see it clearly but it looked like that Ramsay went down easily just before our second goal, they obviously missed him as we stuck the ball down that channel as he was off the pitch and a delightful cross in led to the Ojala goal, nice to see their antics come back to bite them. 

3 hours ago, Kat said:

Throughly enjoyed the game on Saturday, I know Aberdeen have a new management team in place and lots of new faces but they didn't take long to change their ethos, Broon certainly put his stamp onto proceedings quite literally. 

Alexander setup in a similar way against Dundee, he just seems to be happy to let teams spray the ball around from side to side with chances more or less coming from well outside the box or acute angles. Delighted that we are a massive threat from set pieces these days. 

The Aberdeen full backs were going to ground quite easy from the get go, I couldn't see it clearly but it looked like that Ramsay went down easily just before our second goal, they obviously missed him as we stuck the ball down that channel as he was off the pitch and a delightful cross in led to the Ojala goal, nice to see their antics come back to bite them. 

It was dreadful the way they were falling over at the slightest touch. However, we then adopted the same tactic. Not sure if that is good or bad but either way the refs need to start ignoring the falling over and let play continue. Makes it harder for the refs but they need to start deciding if the player was pushed to the ground or they are just flopping over 

47 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

It was dreadful the way they were falling over at the slightest touch. However, we then adopted the same tactic. Not sure if that is good or bad but either way the refs need to start ignoring the falling over and let play continue. Makes it harder for the refs but they need to start deciding if the player was pushed to the ground or they are just flopping over 

Teams have been doing that for years against us, nice to see us finally becoming more street wise and using the same tactics especially when trying to see games out. I am not endorsing it all the time but sometimes it can be useful to break games up etc 

The way they have conducted themselves this week and the way stars appear to be aligning with other scores, a well known quote keeps popping into my head!

"I will tell you honestly, I will love it if we beat them, really love it......."

:P

• Haha 1