Hall of Fame returns

SteelmaninOZ

The five inductees for 2021 to be announced soon.

John Hunter, Andy Paton and Davie Cooper+ 2 others were inducted for the 2020 event but Covid 19 said stop.

They join the inaugural inductees of 2019

George Stevenson, Ally  Maxwell, Phil O’Donnell, James McFadden and Willie Pettigrew.

On 9/10/2021 at 4:47 PM, SteelmaninOZ said:

The five inductees for 2021 to be announced soon.

John Hunter, Andy Paton and Davie Cooper+ 2 others were inducted for the 2020 event but Covid 19 said stop.

They join the inaugural inductees of 2019

George Stevenson, Ally  Maxwell, Phil O’Donnell, James McFadden and Willie Pettigrew.

Any member of the 91 cup winning team will always be remembered but I have never been fully convinced of considering Davie Cooper as a Motherwell legend.

I'm on the same fence about Davie Cooper. Great player for us no doubt, but for me, more of a Hall of Famer for Clydebank and Rangers.

I understand the balance the club is trying to achieve though. They need to honour past legends, the cup winners and living legends (who can make appearances/speeches at the dinners etc).

17 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Any member of the 91 cup winning team will always be remembered but I have never been fully convinced of considering Davie Cooper as a Motherwell legend.

he played over 130 games for us in his 4 years. Incredibly more than Maxwell played in his 8 years.

I get your point re legend - he'll be remembered first and foremast as a Rangers legend, feels counter intuitive that someone could be a legend at multiple clubs. 

Legend or not I've never seen or had as much joy from watching any individual player as I did with Cooper.  (sadly I'm a couple years too young to have seen Pettigrew, St.John etc) 

15 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Left for so called better things before being found out and returned. Now Joe Wark, that's a left back a club legend and would be a 1st class recipient. 

Perhaps but for us he was always an excellent stalwart and played over 300 games for us in some very good Motherwell sides and also some very poor ones, but he was always a crucial player for us.

I would certainly consider Steven Hammell as a club legend before I would consider James McFadden.

3 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Perhaps but for us he was always an excellent stalwart and played over 300 games for us in some very good Motherwell sides and also some very poor ones, but he was always a crucial player for us.

I would certainly consider Steven Hammell as a club legend before I would consider James McFadden.

Closer to 500 games I think 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Left for so called better things before being found out and returned. Now Joe Wark, that's a left back a club legend and would be a 1st class recipient. 

Was he ‘found out’ was he not close to an ever present where he went?

29 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Just think there are more deserving of the honour. 

He's due his place but yes, of course, you are right. Just natural  that today's younger fans focus only on players that they've seen, to the exclusion of greats of the past. I can't recall now who exactly is in our Hall of Fame but you'd imagine that the likes of Willie McFadyen, Hughie Ferguson, Willie Kilmarnock and Archie Shaw should be top of the list, or thereabouts. All a matter of opinion of course

Stevie Hammell is absolutely deserving of a place in the Motherwell FC Hall of Fame 500 appearances should dictate that. But Joe Wark should certainly be in there as well, if not before him. Not sure how entrants are determined, but there always seems to be a spread of "eras".

27 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Stevie Hammell is absolutely deserving of a place in the Motherwell FC Hall of Fame 500 appearances should dictate that. But Joe Wark should certainly be in there as well, if not before him. Not sure how entrants are determined, but there always seems to be a spread of "eras".

I think the approach is the spread of eras as you say but also to make it an annual event, the idea is not to put everyone in on day one.

It's an annual thing, so for these to be interesting there needs to be a marquee inductee each year, then a mix of legends from different eras. As said above, you also need people that can turn up and accept the award. As such, these inductions aren't in any kind of order, and it gets discussion going.

Hammell is more than worthy of a spot, and I'm sure everyone that's deserving will find their way in there.