Hall of Fame returns

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I think the approach is the spread of eras as you say but also to make it an annual event, the idea is not to put everyone in on day one.

Its a fair enough way of doing it. Im just biased as I think he is probably our greatest ever player and should have been in it from day one. Every year that passes without his induction is a travesty for me.  But others will undoubtedly think the same about their own favourite players.

9 hours ago, ropy said:

Motherwell bought him back 

Possibly one of our finest bits of business back then. If I recall correctly it was the last day of the window too? Jim Paterson moved to Plymouth I think for a 1/4 of a Million and we spent half of that on twice the player of Paterson. No disrespect to Jim Paterson who served us well. 

Hammell is well worthy of his place here, I’ll be surprised if his appearance record will ever be broken in my life time. And people of my generation can definitely talk about him in the same way my old mans generation talks about Joe Wark. 

On 9/17/2021 at 8:20 PM, GawnUpBy? said:

Possibly one of our finest bits of business back then. If I recall correctly it was the last day of the window too? Jim Paterson moved to Plymouth I think for a 1/4 of a Million and we spent half of that on twice the player of Paterson. No disrespect to Jim Paterson who served us well. 

Hammell is well worthy of his place here, I’ll be surprised if his appearance record will ever be broken in my life time. And people of my generation can definitely talk about him in the same way my old mans generation talks about Joe Wark. 

Stevie Hammell never played in goals, never played left wing or CF, Joe Wark's feats on the field are somewhat overshadowed by his length of service,  Stevie Hammell doesn't know my father either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2021 at 8:20 PM, GawnUpBy? said:

Nonsense!  Hammell is worthy but Joe Wark was in a different league and I saw them both many times.

• Like 5

On 9/17/2021 at 9:56 AM, Robbos boy said:

Matter of opinion, left on a 'Free' to that top class English side Southend United. Returned on a 'Free' after season and a half. Just think there are more deserving of the honour. 

He was injured in pre-season, which ruled him out until October, after which he was virtually an ever present until he joined us in January, for £110k (not a free). So you're not even half right.

12 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

Nonsense!  Hammell is worthy but Joe Wark was in a different league and I saw them both many times.

If you've never seen Joe play it's difficult to explain just how good he was. His timing of a tackle was unequaled, his passing was excellent and he was running up and down the wing before wing-backs were a thing.

Despite never shirking  tackle, he managed to avoid picking up a yellow card for about 20 years (until some jobsworth ref booked him when we were in the First Division).

Also, unusually for full backs in those days, he had great ball skills and used to entertain us during stoppages with a few keepie-uppies and catching the ball on the back of his neck.

Most impressive of all, though, was his consistency. He was on top form almost every game for his entire career and his mistakes were incredibly rare.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, weeyin said:

If you've never seen Joe play it's difficult to explain just how good he was. His timing of a tackle was unequaled, his passing was excellent and he running up and down the wing before wing-backs were a thing.

Despite never shirking  tackle, he managed to avoid picking up a yellow card for about 20 years (until some jobsworth ref booked him when we were in the First Division).

Also, unusually for full backs in those days, he had great ball skills and used to entertain us during stoppages with a few keepie-uppies and catching the ball on the back of his neck.

Most impressive of all, though, was his consistency. He was on top form almost every game for his entire career and his mistakes were incredibly rare.

Well said!

22 minutes ago, weeyin said:

If you've never seen Joe play it's difficult to explain just how good he was. His timing of a tackle was unequaled, his passing was excellent and he running up and down the wing before wing-backs were a thing.

Wark and Hammel were both great players and deserve to be in the hall of fame but comparing players from different generations is nigh on impossible as the game Joe Wark played, matches, tactics, training , lifestyle,football boots, balls etc is totally  different from what modern day players experience so you are not comparing like for like.

35 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Trapping a ball on his chest was an oft used skill

33 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Wark and Hammel were both great players and deserve to be in the hall of fame but comparing players from different generations is nigh on impossible as the game Joe Wark played, matches, tactics, training , lifestyle,football boots, balls etc is totally  different from what modern day players experience so you are not comparing like for like.

I agree they both deserve a place and I also agree it's often difficult and pointless to compare players from different eras.

I'd say guys like Wark are the exception, though. Particularly as he thrived across different eras in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

11 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I agree they both deserve a place and I also agree it's often difficult and pointless to compare players from different eras.

I'd say guys like Wark are the exception, though. Particularly as he thrived across different eras in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Exactly this. Well said. Spot on.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Spot on mate 

7 hours ago, weeyin said:

This^^^^^^

My hero!   :wub:

The only thing I find surprising is the fact that it has taken this long for Joe Work to be inducted. I have been a 'well supporter for near enough fifty years and of all the players who have worn the claret and amber in that period, he would have been the first name on the list. Maybe not the best  player in terms of talent or ability, but the complete professional in terms of attitude and commitment. Just absolute class, week in, week out, and an absolute privilege to watch.

Don't get me started on how he was never capped for Scotland!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The African said:

Already in the Dundee United hall of Fame. Often maligned, but not the worst I've seen for us.

He was good for Dundee Utd.

He never regained his form for us post-injury and was pretty bad for most of his Motherwell career.

13 minutes ago, weeyin said:

He was good for Dundee Utd.

He never regained his form for us post-injury and was pretty bad for most of his Motherwell career.

I'm guessing he made their Hall of Fame on the back of being part of the squad which won the Premier League. They only used something like thirteen players in thirty six games.

As I get older, I think I tend to be less critical. It could not have been easy trying to play up front for some of those Tommy Mc Lean sides of the mid to late eighties. He certainly believed in the principal of building a side from the back, and trying to be hard to beat, rather than exciting to watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The African said:

The only thing I find surprising is the fact that it has taken this long for Joe Work to be inducted. I have been a 'well supporter for near enough fifty years and of all the players who have worn the claret and amber in that period, he would have been the first name on the list. Maybe not the best  player in terms of talent or ability, but the complete professional in terms of attitude and commitment. Just absolute class, week in, week out, and an absolute privilege to watch.

Don't get me started on how he was never capped for Scotland!

This is only the second year of inductees