Hall of Fame returns

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, The African said:

I'm guessing he made their Hall of Fame on the back of being part of the squad which won the Premier League.

He also scored their first ever European goal. So he certainly contributed to their success during that period. Just not a contender at Fir Park.

8 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Thanks. Its understandable that the inductees, so far tend to be from recent times but we really must recognise giants from our past - the Ferriers, McFadyens, Ellises, and Fergusons for example.

The club launched its official Hall of Fame in 2019, with five inaugural members announced at a dinner on 23 November. Four of the names were confirmed prior to the event with a fifth, a special fans vote, announced on the night as Phil O’Donnell.[59] The 2020 event was postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, with only three names, Hunter, Paton and Cooper having been confirmed. On 9 September 2021, the club announced the event was returning with the two remaining 2020 inductees to be named alongside the previous three, together with a whole new class of five names for 2021.[60]

13 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

I would love to see Charlie Aitken be enrolled next time around. I know a lot of you on here will not have seen Charlie play, but he was an inspirational player, who helped those around him.

As I say maybe next time.

They are about to announce the 2021 intake, so who knows?

12 hours ago, The African said:

The only thing I find surprising is the fact that it has taken this long for Joe Work to be inducted. I have been a 'well supporter for near enough fifty years and of all the players who have worn the claret and amber in that period, he would have been the first name on the list. Maybe not the best  player in terms of talent or ability, but the complete professional in terms of attitude and commitment. Just absolute class, week in, week out, and an absolute privilege to watch.

Don't get me started on how he was never capped for Scotland!

I absolutely agree with this. On top of this he was an absolute gentleman and a fantastic ambassador for the club. He should have been the first person inducted into the hall of fame.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

I would love to see Charlie Aitken be enrolled next time around. I know a lot of you on here will not have seen Charlie play, but he was an inspirational player, who helped those around him.

As I say maybe next time.

Best player to have ever played for the 'well according to my papa  who would be 100 this year

Given that we've only had 2 rounds of inductees and we've had to balance fan votes vs old time legends vs players who are still around to attend the event, I think the mix has been pretty good so far.

One of the motivations behind these things is to get the fans talking, arguing and reminiscing about favourite players - and that has been pretty successful too.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Best player to have ever played for the 'well according to my papa  who would be 100 this year

I’m only 65 but Charlie was playing when I first started going to games. Where as Joe Wark had rubber legs, Charlie’s super power was that he seemed to just hang in the air when he went up for a header. Both from the same mold though, gentlemen of the highest order, terrific talented players and model professionals. Perfect examples for any young budding player to follow. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I’m only 65 but Charlie was playing when I first started going to games. Where as Joe Wark had rubber legs, Charlie’s super power was that he seemed to just hang in the air when he went up for a header. Both from the same mold though, gentlemen of the highest order, terrific talented players and model professionals. Perfect examples for any young budding player to follow. 

Yes, as a kid, I always looked for his blond hair at corners and expected him to score. Mind you, he often had Andy Weir taking them, and he was a magician who could even  score directly  from the flag.

As far as Joe is concerned, his great talents have been admirably listed above but my last memory  is of him standing a few rows back from me at the 2011 final and talking to the fans. He was Motherwell through and through.

Good old Joe.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Yes, as a kid, I always looked for his blond hair at corners and expected him to score. Mind you, he often had Andy Weir taking them, and he was a magician who could even  score directly  from the flag.

As far as Joe is concerned, his great talents have been admirably listed above but my last memory  is of him standing a few rows back from me at the 2011 final and talking to the fans. He was Motherwell through and through.

Good old Joe.

My memory of Andy Weir is him scoring the winning goal at Fir Park in a cup tie against stenhousemuir for a 3-2 victory. Reported in in the motherwell times as a banana shot. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Obvious to say it, but Bobby Ferrier is a most worthy addition to the Hall of Fame. I am just a little surprised that he was not inducted at the same time as George Stevenson, seeing as the pair were famed as a combination as much as for their individual abilities, but that obviously isn't how these things work and his inclusion is no less deserving because of that.

The piece on the official website is excellent and well worth a read, but if you get the chance, look out for the obituary written by Bobby Ferrier's son which was included in the book written for our centenary by John Swinburne.

• Like 3

He and George Stevenson were the legendary 'Well left wing pairing in the early Thirties and the story is that Herbert Chapman, the Arsenal chairman, offered Sailor Hunter a blank cheque for the duo, which was refused. 

Unfortunately, Bobby was born in Sheffield of Scottish parents and so could not wear the dark blue as rules stood at the time.

I actually worked with a man who had seen them play and watched the league-winning team as a very young boy.

And so we go on......

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...