Hall of Fame returns

SteelmaninOZ

20 hours ago, weeyin said:

I never understood that. Stevie was one of my favourite players from Day 1. He wasn't always brilliant, but he was usually entertaining.

Mair and Murray on the other hand...

I've said this before but when I was a school kid Stevie used to go to the same chippie at lunch time and he always got a bag of fritters!

Must be some correlation between fritters and tap ins at the North Terrace end.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I've said this before but when I was a school kid Stevie used to go to the same chippie at lunch time and he always got a bag of fritters!

Old school! Training in the morning, fritters for lunch then down the snooker club for a couple of beers and a smoke.

• Haha 2

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Impossible to compare players from different eras,  but Willie's record speaks for itself. My Dear Old Dad, an incorrigible Accies fan, grudgingly told me he missed as many as he scored but an old work colleague from the 80s who saw 'Well win the league  said he was a brave and irrepressible forward.

Just look at the stats.....

5 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Impossible to compare players from different eras,  but Willie's record speaks for itself. My Dear Old Dad, an incorrigible Accies fan, grudgingly told me he missed as many as he scored but an old work colleague from the 80s who saw 'Well win the league  said he was a brave and irrepressible forward.

Just look at the stats.....

He should have been in the Hall of Fame long before now. Better late than never though. My late dad and uncles said that he would miss the easiest of sitters but then score an impossible goal. His record will never be beaten and his role in the Championship winning side speaks for itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Tommy Coyne was class and I do believe we got some of the best football of his career

My favourite memory will always be the 1-0 cup win in 1994 ,  Can still hear Jock Brown in my head because I have watched it on YouTube so many times , Motherwell undefeated in 1994 against Celtic who have still to win a match in the new year , the double at Hampden later that year was another great day

Was brilliant up along with the  legend who is Dougie Arnott 

My favourite well forward of all time. He had a touch and awareness barely seen at our club in my lifetime. Very much the focal point of a team that played terrific football with no end of heart too (we were fortunate to have him and cooper not far apart).

Still haunted by his miss in Dortmund however when we were more than a match in that game. Doubt we will ever see or say that again.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bobby Graham the latest inductee.

I loved watching him as a kid - Graham/Pettigrew, what's not to love?

Fantastic player, but it wasn't until I was much older I discovered what an impressive record he had at Liverpool despite a restricted number of appearance thanks to the St. John and Hunt partnership.

As well has his time at Fir Park, one of my other memories was seeing him after he moved to Accies. I was in the supermarket in Hamilton (Fine Fare probably) and spotted him, cigar in hand, gold bracelet and 1970's issue shearling coat.

• Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Bobby Graham the latest inductee.

I loved watching him as a kid - Graham/Pettigrew, what's not to love?

Fantastic player, but it wasn't until I was much older I discovered what an impressive record he had at Liverpool despite a restricted number of appearance thanks to the St. John and Hunt partnership.

As well has his time at Fir Park, one of my other memories was seeing him after he moved to Accies. I was in the supermarket in Hamilton (Fine Fare probably) and spotted him, cigar in hand, gold bracelet and 1970's issue shearling coat.

We must be of a similar vintage. The early to mid seventies side with the likes of Wark, Graham, Pettigrew, McRae, Bobby Watson, were my childhood heroes. Graham is a worthy inductee and, looking at his career, the only question I can ask is did we let him go too early? Of course, back in those days you were classed as over the hill by the time you were thirty.

Regarding Graham’s playing style and ability, I remember watching the World Cup with my late father and him comparing one of the stars on display with Graham. He remarked that the star player always looked like he had time on the ball because of his great first touch and control, and that his eye for a “slide rule” pass to put a teammate into a goal scoring position was very reminiscent of Graham at his best. The player in question was Carlos Valderrama.

• Like 1

The great thing about Graham and Pettigrew is that when you watch some of their highlights today on Youtube, they are as good as you remember. Which can't be said about a lot of players.

They did set my expectations way too high in my formative footballing years, though. I thought players like that were just how it always worked. Give them the ball and they score. Easy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The African said:

the only question I can ask is did we let him go too early? Of course, back in those days you were classed as over the hill by the time you were thirty.

I remember I was gutted when we let him go. Letting him go to Accies was just rubbing salt into the wound.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

The great thing about Graham and Pettigrew is that when you watch some of their highlights today on Youtube, they are as good as you remember. Which can't be said about a lot of players.

They did set my expectations way too high in my formative footballing years, though. I thought players like that were just how it always worked. Give them the ball and they score. Easy.

Undoubtedly gave us a false impressions of how we thought things would always be. Still, I consider self lucky to have had my early loyalty cemented by such classy players. When things are dire and we are on the wrong end of a series of results, playing so badly that you wonder where the next win or even goal is coming from, there is solace in wondering where the next hero is coming from. It may be fanciful, but perhaps the purpose of our club is to provide the opportunities for the next St John, Pettigrew or the next Bobby Graham.