Rangers v Motherwell 19/9/21

Spiderpig

34 minutes ago, mio said:

Kent off for them now too. Excellent !! Keystone cops defending for Lyons second goal.

looking good for us to pump them on their marching celebration of orangeness on sunday…… sorry “flag day” 

I’m trying not to get my hopes up. Even with our abysmal record against them I’m always disappointed when we don’t win. Optimism grows exponentially the closer we get to the game and then its back to earth with a bang. So fed up with gallant defeats and piss poor displays, so really don’t care how we play if we can come away with 3 points. COYW!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I’m trying not to get my hopes up. Even with our abysmal record against them I’m always disappointed when we don’t win. Optimism grows exponentially the closer we get to the game and then its back to earth with a bang. So fed up with gallant defeats and piss poor displays, so really don’t care how we play if we can come away with 3 points. COYW!!

There is very little in football that I find more infuriating than the patronising guff about how “we were so brave, yet so unlucky” that we get all too often after a loss to Rangers especially.

Far too many times over the past 20 years many Motherwell sides, managers, players and some supporters seem to view anything less than a heavy defeat in these games as some sort of moral victory. Why I don’t know, because despite our dreadful record in this fixture, very rarely have Rangers actually hammered us by playing swashbuckling football and scoring great goals. Many of the games, particularly at Fir Park, have been relatively tight yet we have lost out by the odd goal after gifting them a couple through poor defending or a poor refereeing decision or us not taking chances. Even some of the games at Ibrox have followed a similar pattern.

I stand by what I said, if we score first on Sunday we have a chance of getting something.

• Like 1

I notice that the last time we beat Rangers in a League match Andy Goram was in goals - for Motherwell.

Rangers haven't started the season brilliantly; there was a three goal margin against a depleted Livingston side, a two goal margin against Ross County and the three other matches have been 1 goal margins (Celtic, St. Johnstone, Dundee Utd).

That says to me we should be capable of keeping the game tight if we are on our game.  We've defended quite well in the two matches I've seen in person but I do worry about our midfield and the Rangers full backs keeping us pinned back.  Barisic has apparently been poor this season though so perhaps that is an area we can exploit.  I also think you can cause Rangers problems by playing balls over their centre backs and making them turn.  They aren't great when they are facing their own goal.

Overall though you'd be delighted with a point.  The main thing is we go there and show some serious ambition to take something from the game.  If it turns out to be an unlucky defeat like St Johnstone's then I don't think too many people will be cross but let's ditch the inferiority complex please.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Dubourdeaux was in goals the last time we beat them in the league. 

He made a cracking save from Billy Dodds in the last minute too. 

A month or so later he got himself sent off at Rugby Park for elbowing a Killie player in the box and conceding a penalty into the bargain. 

On 9/14/2021 at 10:36 PM, CoF said:

Aye of course, I'm just wondering whats changed since they were able to offer Celtic 700 tickets a few weeks ago. 

The game was no doubt moved from Saturday to Sunday as 99% of their fans are out for a walk on Saturday, so no away fans means more hyped up bigots at their "Flag celebration weekend" giving the team a melody of old Irish folk tunes.

A complete disgrace of a club, the less other teams fans contribute to their finances the better.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Not to offer support to them, but I think it's pretty standard for the league to move a club's game to a Sunday when they play a Euro tie on a Thursday.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, in case we had all forgotten the UEFA rules, I'll stick with the conspiracy theory, it's more relevant. 

pedant

1. a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

We're set up better for winning games against Rangers and Celtic than we have been for a while. We're not reliant on having possession to score, we look to go front to back quickly, we've a threat from set pieces and we don't concede a lot. 

That said our defence hasn't come up against a team with rangers quality yet but still I can see it being a tight game tomorrow. Might see the "hammer throwers" patter getting dragged back out (it definitely will if we get a result).