Tony Watt

SteelmaninOZ

If Tony who’s so full of talent and potential keeps performing as he has been with Motherwell I’m sure he will get that call up.

I’’d agree agree with Middleastdave he’s as good as if not better than Nisbett, who I’ve always thought was over rated n was speechless when Hibs knocked back a £5m offer for him on the last day of the transfer window.

Im not saying TW is £5m rated..yet, but if someone offered us £5m in January I’m sure Tony and Burrows would accept, Dykes however plays a different game to Tony and would possibly compliment each other in a Scotland team, who knows, let’s hope if Tony keeps up his hard work n performances he gets a reward of a Scotland cap.

Well done Tony, keep it up!!! CMYW!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

I reckon he should be in the squad, he carries the ball so well and the finish yesterday is something that has been missing from his game, it really was a lovely hit.

Considering our struggles to find Scottish strikers to play at international level, he's definitely worth a look. He offers something different to Dykes and Adams, and that can be an advantage.

He needs to maintain his levels, though.

If I was Steve Clarke (I’m glad I’m not!) I’d have Tony Watt in the Scotland squad 100%. I believe that game at the weekend means he’s played more games for Motherwell than anyone of his previous clubs. 

He looks settled, he runs himself into the ground, wins us countless fouls & free kicks, links play, scores goals & he is well and truly loved by the fans! 

He could be just what Scotland need! 

Aye, if Lawrence Shankland is worth a call up then Watt (only 1 year older than Shankland) certainly is.

Looking them both up, Watt has 4 times as many top flight goals in his career than Shankland.

He's also much better than Brophy. If you're picking a Scotland team right now he's probably the 4th best striking option we have after Adams, Dykes and Nesbitt (who I think he's a better option than right now so he'd be my third pick).

I think people need to take the C&A tinted specs off for a bit. Watt has been excellent for us this season but he’s nowhere near a Scotland call up yet. He needs to show that he can maintain his levels of form before he’s seriously on the national side’s radar.

As a Motherwell fan I’d much prefer to keep him below the radar for as long as possible and hopefully he continues to get the goals and perform for us without the distraction of playing for Scotland just now. 

Obviously if he continues his form then he will rightly earn the chance for a call up and if/when that happens then good luck to him, but I’m in no rush to see that happen.

3 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

I think people need to take the C&A tinted specs off for a bit. Watt has been excellent for us this season but he’s nowhere near a Scotland call up yet. He needs to show that he can maintain his levels of form before he’s seriously on the national side’s radar.

As a Motherwell fan I’d much prefer to keep him below the radar for as long as possible and hopefully he continues to get the goals and perform for us without the distraction of playing for Scotland just now. 

Obviously if he continues his form then he will rightly earn the chance for a call up and if/when that happens then good luck to him, but I’m in no rush to see that happen.

He has been in this vein of form for over a year.

If he was challenging for a midfield berth I would agree with you, but we are really short of strikers and it would only take an injury to Adams, Dykes or Nesbitt to have him under consideration given our dearth of alternative options.

Much in the same way Gallagher got into the squad, you only need to be the right guy at the right time.

Sad and disappointed to see Tony Watt didn’t make the Scotland squad after a month  of super performances, goals and MOTM awards...meanwhile Clark reverts to type picking Nisbett who’s been anonymous with Hibs and Scotland, I may be biased but TW has more talent in his big toe than Nisbett will ever have. 
Upside is that Tony will be fit for our next game after the internationals against the Peados

Watt's heading in the right direction for another call up, but if there's one thing you can count on with Steve Clarke it's that he likes to stick with what he has. And given the result from the Austria game, he was never going to deviate far from that set of players.

While that's tougher on guys like Watt trying to get into the squad, it's better for guys like O'Donnell who Clarke trusts to execute his game plan (regardless of what some people on here think of him).

15 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

He was only going to get included if one of Adams, Dykes and Nesbitt wasn't available.

Might end up added to the squad if any of those three get a knock in the first game.

Never mind the first Scottish game, we will have the usual 3 or 4 players injured after Saturday’s league games…..sorry there might not be we are actually in a position of possibly getting into a qualification so everyone might be fit!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 10:50 AM, MJC_mkII said:

Are the other striking options for Scotland that good ? I would suggest not. He’s played consistently well in the top flight for way over a year now

• Like 1

I think in Watt’s case he’s seen as a ‘journeyman’ who’s struggled for form at several clubs before joining us and perhaps that counts against him in terms of national team selection.

But as I said, I hope he doesn’t get picked any time soon. I’m not a Scotland fan I’m a Motherwell fan and I want him fit and fully focussed for us without the distraction of international football and the exposure to other clubs that playing for Scotland would bring him. If he stays with us, below the radar, focussed and playing well it will benefit us and himself in the long term.

• Confused 2

52 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

The “distraction” of international football? Whit?

I know.

Who would want to play for their country and go on to represent them at a World Cup?

Mental.........

• David locked this topic