Tony Watt

SteelmaninOZ

24 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

So if you support Motherwell but don't follow the national team or particularly care if they win or lose your not interested in football, don't talk shite.

Unless your French, Belgian, German,Spanish, English, Italian, Brazilian or any other top side, most international football is turgid shite and not worth watching which is exactly the category the Scotland game fell into on Wednesday.

Club football is more exciting, and entertaining than the predictable dross served up every 2 years or so for Euro or World Cup qualifying. 

So if you want to wear your kilt, cat boots and a  daft Tartan hat and  follow Scotland  and  Motherwell then go for it but don't slag off or talk shite about those football fans who are not interested in all the Tartan Army stuff.

Wasnt talking shite or slagging off or have ever worn kilt cat boots etc or in tartan army. I'll leave it at my 1st point. That is majority of football fans love seeing their national team do well . Your obviously the uber well fan and well done you but it's you that talks load of shite. I love both personally and have nothing in common with the so called tartan army other than being Scottish and wanting a team that I am associated with from heritage doing well.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gaz7 said:

"absolute moronic patter"  very funny but my point is if your a football fan and scottish and dont enjoy scotland playing in euros or world cups then in my view you are not really interested in football its maybe just something you do. Do you enjoy watching euros or world cups without us in it?  Maybe just me but world cup is pinnacle of football.

I don’t really bother that much about international football, be that qualifiers, Euros or World Cup finals regardless of who’s in it. Obviously as a Scot if Scotland are involved then my interest increases to an extent but to nowhere near the same extent as when Motherwell are involved, in any competition.

Each to their own, but I would consider Motherwell winning a League Cup group match against the likes of Annan or Stranraer as being better than Scotland winning any match in any competition.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, gaz7 said:

my point is if your a football fan and scottish and dont enjoy scotland playing in euros or world cups then in my view you are not really interested in football its maybe just something you do. Do you enjoy watching euros or world cups without us in it? 

A bit harsh and judgemental. I always like Scotland to do well, but I'm not an international fan. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in football per se. You could equally say that to be a football fan you have to have a wider interest in lower league football, but that would be equally wrong and unfair. Each to their own I say. 

2 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Wasnt talking shite or slagging off or have ever worn kilt cat boots etc or in tartan army. I'll leave it at my 1st point. That is majority of football fans love seeing their national team do well . Your obviously the uber well fan and well done you but it's you that talks load of shite. I love both personally and have nothing in common with the so called tartan army other than being Scottish and wanting a team that I am associated with from heritage doing well.  

So classing me as a religious bigot for not being like you and having an interest in how well Scotland do is not slagging off......OK then.

As for me talking shite.. does expressing a different opinion to yours, or not having any interest in how Scotland  perform qualify, I think not.  But you fill your boots being the perfect patriot and football fan the rest of us will just be ordinary fans.

4 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

So if you support Motherwell but don't follow the national team or particularly care if they win or lose your not interested in football, don't talk shite.

Unless your French, Belgian, German,Spanish, English, Italian, Brazilian or any other top side, most international football is turgid shite and not worth watching which is exactly the category the Scotland game fell into on Wednesday.

Club football is more exciting, and entertaining than the predictable dross served up every 2 years or so for Euro or World Cup qualifying. 

So if you want to wear your kilt, cat boots and a  daft Tartan hat and  follow Scotland  and  Motherwell then go for it but don't slag off or talk shite about those football fans who are not interested in all the Tartan Army stuff.

Seriously dude. Do you ever read your posts back? Your having a go at a guy for questioning how you support football, by having a go at how others support football? 

Ive watched Motherwell for the best part of 50 years and Ive seen plenty of turgid shite. Same with Scotland. But I dont do it to be spoiled with silky flowing football. I do it because its in my blood and its who I am.

If Scotlands not for you thats fair enough, bit dont try and pretend that its because watching Motherwell is more entertaining. Its just not true.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Completely agree, the Euros/World Cup is absolutely not 'turgid shite', as Weeyin has pointed out it's the St Mirren vs Ross County's of this world that would make your eyes bleed.

Also, England being 1-0 up at home against Italy after 3  minutes of a major final and eventually losing on penalties after being ahead in the shoot out isn't entertaining?!? It's one of the most entertaining things I've ever seen!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

That’s why I made a point of saying no disrespect to the genuine Scotland fans who follow Scotland in order to support the team first and foremost.

The ones I was having a dig at are those who only seem to be interested in going along for the piss up (nae Scotland, nae party etc) then tell everyone that was just great to be there. In my opinion that is a big, big part of Scotland’s problem when it comes to sport in general. There’s too much emphasis on celebrating failure and too many are more interested in booze more than anything else. Is it any wonder then that Scotland don’t qualify for tournaments/perform well at that level in that case?

Were you at any of Motherwells European adventures? Plenty on them falling foul on the 'he's only here for the party and booze' rule that you invoke.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Were you at any of Motherwells European adventures? Plenty on them falling foul on the 'he's only here for the party and booze' rule that you invoke.

No I’ve not and to be honest I don’t view us in Europe as anything more than playing a few glorified friendlies and the opportunity for the fans to go abroad for a jolly and a few days on the drink. A bit like the Tartan Army, funnily enough. :rolleyes:

Each to their own but I’m not overly fussed about Europe. I’d much rather see us reach the latter stages of the Cup competitions and maybe even win one, that would be the ultimate achievement for us.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I’ll probably be in the minority but European group stage football would be far more enjoyable for me than winning a cup. 

Lucrative? Yes. Enjoyable? No. If you would enjoy us getting a skelping off the likes of Dinamo Zagreb and Genk more than us winning a cup, I worry about you...

• Thanks 1

Personally I enjoy football regardless of the level and always want the home nations to do well. I’m often just as happy standing at an Albion Rovers game enjoying the banter as I am at Wembley or similar.  

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

I’ll probably be in the minority but European group stage football would be far more enjoyable for me than winning a cup. 

I reckon the hype that would be generated amongst fans would be greater than cup finals. Yes it could get messy if we were to get pumped in all games but if we were to play games v say a spurs or ac milan or somebody similar it would be amazing.  Watching football is all about experiences and a boring shit game for neutrals but us winning with an OG last minute v big gun would be legendary for us all.

34 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

I reckon the hype that would be generated amongst fans would be greater than cup finals. 

Not a chance it would be better than a cup final. Would there be weeks of build up, anticipation from club and fans alike? Would there be good luck messages in shop windows? C&A bunting hung up in the town? 

There would obviously be a fair bit of excitement if we got a good tie in Europe but nowhere near on the scale of a cup final. The home legs against Dortmund, Nancy and Panathanaikos are the obvious ones that spring to mind but did they generate the same anticipation and excitement of Cup Finals? Or do the majority of Motherwell fans look back on them like they do winning the Cup in ‘91?

Not on your nelly!

On 10/15/2021 at 10:57 PM, joewarkfanclub said:

Seriously dude. Do you ever read your posts back? Your having a go at a guy for questioning how you support football, by having a go at how others support football? 

Ive watched Motherwell for the best part of 50 years and Ive seen plenty of turgid shite. Same with Scotland. But I dont do it to be spoiled with silky flowing football. I do it because its in my blood and its who I am.

If Scotlands not for you thats fair enough, bit dont try and pretend that its because watching Motherwell is more entertaining. Its just not true.

Well said!

On 10/15/2021 at 9:59 PM, Spiderpig said:

As for me talking shite.. does expressing a different opinion to yours, or not having any interest in how Scotland  perform qualify, I think not.  But you fill your boots being the perfect patriot and football fan the rest of us will just be ordinary fans.

I think the thing is that you are being very dismissive of something you have no experience of.

I'm not a regular at Scotland games but I do support Scotland and any time I've been it's been an amazing experience.  It's different from club football.  Club football is all about agendas, factions, tribalism etc and that's fine.  Who doesn't like a bit of that abrasive side of football? 

However there is something really refreshing about going to a Scotland match and having pretty much everyone on the same side and behind one team.  When Scotland win or Scotland score at a packed Hampden there is nothing like it.  

There's different sides to football.  I've been following Motherwell home and away for nearly 40 years now, but I also go to Scotland matches for the reason above and I also like to pop along to random matches, usually lower league games, and just sit and watch as a neutral with no real stake in the game.  Last time I did that was Alloa v Partick and it was a great game with one of the best goalkeeping displays I've ever seen (Jamie McDonald had an incredible match).

I'm going to sound like a mum at tea time but 'just try it, you might like it'.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think the thing is that you are being very dismissive of something you have no experience of.

I'm not a regular at Scotland games but I do support Scotland and any time I've been it's been an amazing experience.  It's different from club football.  Club football is all about agendas, factions, tribalism etc and that's fine.  Who doesn't like a bit of that abrasive side of football? 

However there is something really refreshing about going to a Scotland match and having pretty much everyone on the same side and behind one team.  When Scotland win or Scotland score at a packed Hampden there is nothing like it.  

There's different sides to football.  I've been following Motherwell home and away for nearly 40 years now, but I also go to Scotland matches for the reason above and I also like to pop along to random matches, usually lower league games, and just sit and watch as a neutral with no real stake in the game.  Last time I did that was Alloa v Partick and it was a great game with one of the best goalkeeping displays I've ever seen (Jamie McDonald had an incredible match).

I'm going to sound like a mum at tea time but 'just try it, you might like it'.

Nah I am as much a proud scot as anyone but I never could get into all the Tartan Army and "were on the march with Ally,s army " stuff  never been to a Scotland game in my life and have seen nothing in the current team that would encourage me to go and see them.

I put my efforts into following Motherwell and finishing off my bucket list item to watch a match at every league ground in the UK, all 134 of them, probably about 30% complete now.

• Haha 1

• David locked this topic