Tony Watt

SteelmaninOZ

20 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Nah I am as much a proud scot as anyone but I never could get into all the Tartan Army and "were on the march with Ally,s army " stuff  never been to a Scotland game in my life and have seen nothing in the current team that would encourage me to go and see them.

I put my efforts into following Motherwell and finishing off my bucket list item to watch a match at every league ground in the UK, all 134 of them, probably about 30% complete now.

The majority of us are not, and would never want to be, part of the Tartan Army stuff and as for Andy Cameron and 'were on the march with Ally's army - an old Rangers tune apparently- what a red neck. But it doesnt stop us from being proud Scotland supporters.

Dont let it stop your bucket list exertions though, sounds good too.

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2021 at 1:32 PM, Spiderpig said:

Nah I am as much a proud scot as anyone but I never could get into all the Tartan Army and "were on the march with Ally,s army " stuff  never been to a Scotland game in my life and have seen nothing in the current team that would encourage me to go and see them.

I put my efforts into following Motherwell and finishing off my bucket list item to watch a match at every league ground in the UK, all 134 of them, probably about 30% complete now.

Nothing to encourage you to watch Scotland play a few miles up the road but your happy enough to travel the long and winding road to absolute footballing hotshots like Crewe, Rochdale and Grimsby...ffs what a cracker

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Nothing to encourage you to watch Scotland play a few miles up the road but your happy enough to travel the long and winding road to absolute footballing hotshots like Crewe, Rochdale and Grimsby...ffs what a cracker

Correct, was at Barrow last week watching them play Orient, in League 2 great day out ex well player Craig Clay still looks a decent player for Orient. Each to their own and for me that's not going to international games, still loads of grounds to visit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Correct, was at Barrow last week watching them play Orient, in League 2 great day out ex well player Craig Clay still looks a decent player for Orient. Each to their own and for me that's not going to international games, still loads of grounds to visit.

Barrow v Leyton Orient watching Craig Clay sounds utterly horrendous 

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Barrow v Leyton Orient watching Craig Clay sounds utterly horrendous 

Aye the standard was not the best, on a par with Scotland  v Faroe Islands the other week, least I had a couple of decent goals to liven it up, oh and the steak pies were awesome.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

This pissing competition is enthralling to the neutral spectator.

I know it's childish and immature  but it's harmless fun life would be boring if we all liked the same things, but its stimulated a much more healthy debate than just talking about Tony Watt as per the thread title :nod:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Aye the standard was not the best, on a par with Scotland  v Faroe Islands the other week, least I had a couple of decent goals to liven it up, oh and the steak pies were awesome.

You can't preach to us all about how you don't care for Scotland and then blurt out that you actually watch the games! :lol:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Yassin said:

Fucking hell man, fair enough not watching Scotland games but spending international breaks following Craig Clay around the country? Jesus.

Aye I'm following Craig Clay around the country, ok then :doh:  eventually I'll see all of the ex well players at whatever club they're at now, so let me know your favourites and I'll keep you posted

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Aye I'm following Craig Clay around the country, ok then :doh:  eventually I'll see all of the ex well players at whatever club they're at now, so let me know your favourites and I'll keep you posted

Can you keep me up to date with the legend Jacob Blyth ?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwells-tony-watt-love-here-25290915

Motherwell's Tony Watt: I love it here but my next deal has to be the right one

The Steelmen's striker on his love for the club and his thoughts on his future with contract up at the end of the season

Tony Watt admits he's loving life at Motherwell but has warned he needs to strike the right deal if he is extend his stay at Fir Park when his contract expires at the end of the season.

The striker netted from the penalty spot in Saturday's 2-1 defeat away to Dundee United that took the Steelmen's losing streak in the Premiership to three games.

But he believes he is the most settled he has ever been in his career after taking his tally to 15 goals in 61 appearances since being signed by Stephen Robinson in February 2020.

The fans have warmed to Watt and under current gaffer Graham Alexander, the 27-year-old Coatbridge native has found some of the best form in his career.

His current deal is up in the summer and the former Celtic and Airdrie striker admits he has a big decision to make when the final whistle blows on this campaign in May.

Watt, who was voted the club's player of the year last season, said: “I love it here. It’s probably one of the happiest places I have ever been.

“I’ve been places where I wasn’t happy and some where I was. But this club is just different with the way they have taken to me, the way the fans are, the way the manager is.

“I am delighted and I want to be here. I'm really happy and you see that in my performances. I'm trying to doing everything I can to win and we'll give everything until the final whistle.

"They look after me, they push me to be a better person and a better player. My morals and my mindset align with the club’s.

“It’s two years I’ve been here and that’s probably the longest I’ve been at a club.

“It’s a club close to my heart and I can’t thank them enough.

“Money is obviously part and parcel of football. I need to retire eventually and I’m not going to be in the best of jobs afterwards unless it’s in football. I’m not skilled enough to be a plumber or an electrician, I'm not equipped.

“My next deal needs to be where I am happy.

"That’s not me saying I am leaving and there’s a head start here with how they have treated me.

"It’s opened my eyes to show you can be loved."

After suffering a third defeat on the bounce, Watt insists the Steelmen aren't panicking and can be relatively pleased with their start to the campaign.

They've enjoyed good wins over Aberdeen, Dundee, Livingston and Ross County and a draw against Rangers at Ibrox last month, leaving them nine points off the top of the table in sixth place.

He added: "We got beat off a good Dundee United side who are in a good vein of form.

"I think we are still a really good side. We've lost three games on the bounce but it's been against really good teams and some of the most form teams in the league, so we are happy enough with the way we played, but unhappy with what we go home with.

"We are in the top six after 10 games and if we can be top six after Wednesday night [against St Mirren] we'll give ourselves a pat on the back and go again.

"All the boys are happy and we are all together. We are having fun while we are doing it.

"We got beat this time, but there's a lot of positives we can take from this.

"We are not going to win every game of football, but we just need to keep going."

• Like 1

That’s a really good read that, honest and up front. He certainly looks to be enjoying his football here and has that rapport with the support.

Naturally though he will have one eye on his next deal and it’s going to be hard to keep him here if he maintains his form. Hopefully though his enjoyment at being at the club and the fact that he himself acknowledges that he wasn’t as happy or settled elsewhere will be a factor in in his decision, although we all know that money talks.

I reiterate, I hope he stays focussed and stays in form for us this season and what happens after that will take care of itself.

And I hope he remains below the national team’s radar, for now anyway.

I thought he would have been nothing more than a short term signing when he came but he's been brilliant for us,I've really taking to him and hope he stays.he is the fittest and most focused he has been in his career and obviously that's showing on the park,hopefully we can benefit from that beyond this season.hes honest enough to say money will be a factor in what he does next,fingers crossed we can come up with the right deal for him.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic