Motherwell v Ross County 25/9/21

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

A good win from a close fought game. Not our best peformance so far.

Agree about the performance. It's a good sign, however, that GA has instilled a mindset (and a shape) that is getting results while we look for improvement.

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

A good win from a close fought game. Not our best peformance so far.

Yes, a few below par today. Certainly makes a difference when you have all 11 players playing well. Probably at least 4 players not having a good day. So all in all a good day to pickup 3 points with below par performance. 

Well that was a strange one.

Great that we won but honestly if it had ended 1-1 I would have thought we were a bit on the lucky side to get a point.

First ten minutes was great, scored a cracker and could have buried Ross County completely.  But then....we just slowly faded out of the game.  Ross County gained confidence and started passing it round us pretty well.  Liam Kelly was a lot busier than his fellow keeper up the other end and made a few really good saves.  When County scored the goal had been coming for a while.

Second half continued in the same vein with Ross County the dominate team but to be fair to us we defended relatively well and we looked dangerous going forward most of the time apart a little spell when it was going a bit Robbo long ball-ish.  The substitutes perked us up again.

Last 10 or 15 minutes you felt like someone was going to win it and thankfully it was us.  Watt, who had an excellent game, did the honours.

Probably the poorest overall performance I've seen this season. Slattery was good today however the limitations of our midfield was glaringly shown up. Still we hung in there and took our chances.

We needed Kelly and the bar but at the end of the day, we've got the three points and even if the overall play wasn't great today you have to credit the players professionalism and character.

Not the best of games and in truth I do have some sympathy for the ref because we know how to try and win a free kick these days, he was inconsistent but did have his work cut out. Too much possession given to the opposition again with Kelly having his work cut out and much of that was again down to only having one player in midfield, needs strengthening still in my view. I’ve not got a problem with the back or forward line who were solid yet again although I would still prefer Carroll over McGinley, Lamie was yet again pretty solid. Tony Watt man of the match for me yet again.

2 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Three points move on but this hoof ball fitba Alexander is playing is as bad as Robinsons . Still short in the middle of the park of any quality  but no doubt GA has made us hard to beat 

If we can get Goss and Slattery fit at the same time, that should give us some quality in the midfield.

1 hour ago, Coatsy said:

O’Donnell, mcginlay, grimshaw, o'hara rank rotten today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you are being a bit unfair on mcginlay here, he was up against Ross counties best player in either half with absolutely no help from midfield and grimshaw is a total waste of a shirt , he has nothing to offer. 

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

If we can get Goss and Slattery fit at the same time, that should give us some quality in the midfield.

You might be right but I don't think we have the players to play 4-3-3 think at the moment 4-4-2 is the way forward but u can't argue with the points total right now 

3 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Three points move on but this hoof ball fitba Alexander is playing is as bad as Robinsons . Still short in the middle of the park of any quality  but no doubt GA has made us hard to beat 

Nah.

Under Robinson we often looked like we could play all day and not score.

Even though we didn't play well today we always looked competitive.  When we go forward now we just look like we can score and the stat I just posted proves that.

There isn't a lot of quality in midfield but up front and at the back we are much better.

4 minutes ago, well_said said:

I think you are being a bit unfair on mcginlay here, he was up against Ross counties best player in either half with absolutely no help from midfield and grimshaw is a total waste of a shirt , he has nothing to offer. 

Biggest issue I have with McGinlay is going forward he gives you nothing.  

Maybe people getting behind him is a problem but defending with the ball in front of him he's OK, made a couple of good tackles today.