Motherwell v Ross County 25/9/21

SteelmaninOZ

Two well taken goals and three hard earned points. Going into today, I had that all too familiar feeling we’d slip up. As the game progressed though, I fancied us to nick it despite Ross County being on top and looking the more threatening team in attack. That’s testament to Alexander having us in a really good place and the players buying into his methods. 

A far tougher challenge lies ahead next week and to get anything at Tynecastle we’ll need to be far better on the ball, starting with KVV who couldn’t make anything stick today.

39 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Three points move on but this hoof ball fitba Alexander is playing is as bad as Robinsons . Still short in the middle of the park of any quality  but no doubt GA has made us hard to beat 

It’s not great to watch and I agree that we are still short in midfield options but we’ve definitely improved under GA. We are a much better coached team now than we were under Robinson and unlike this time last year we have some fight and character in the side. We would not have won that game last year under Robinson, I’m almost certain of that and it’s more likely that we would have crumbled as soon as they equalised.

41 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

It’s not great to watch and I agree that we are still short in midfield options but we’ve definitely improved under GA. We are a much better coached team now than we were under Robinson and unlike this time last year we have some fight and character in the side. We would not have won that game last year under Robinson, I’m almost certain of that and it’s more likely that we would have crumbled as soon as they equalised.

Yes we’re a far better team under Alexander, the football is also better on the whole in my view. It’s also of course still a work in progress, half the team have only just arrived.

I thought Donnelly added a good bit of composure for us when he came on, we looked far more comfortable in possession then than with Grimmy in there.

What a ball from Lamie for Watts goal as well. When he won the ball, strolled up the park and then played that over the top, was beautiful for someone so maligned.

Great goal from Slattery as well.

All that being said we were poor today, barely won a second ball after 10 minutes in.

Still though, three points and that's what matters.

• Like 1

Everyone I spoke to in the ground before the game was  expecting a tough game and so it proved.  After a great goal we created little and, as in the Dundee and Aberdeen games, conceded possession. I was expecting a late sickener winner for the visitors as in previous seasons but a little bit of quality saw us through in the end.

We were reminded today, I  think, that Grimshaw  is back-up at best and KVV must be due a stormer at Tyney next week because he did nothing today. I'm presuming Goss is injured because I suspect he and Slattery would be  a good combination in midfield.

Once again, Lamie was excellent in central defence and his pass for TW to slot away convincingly was  perfect.

No chance to relax and enjoy the victory today but I suspect we're going to get a good few of these games at FP this season.

Great start, cracking goal and then went a bit flat and staggies came into it and wee better side, Kelly had more saves to make.  But you know what, it's 3pts and I am happy with that,  Grimmy can't be faulted for commitment but I defo feel Goss or Donnelly are an upgrade.  Woolery has improved as he knows Roberts ready to step in,  good to have competition for places, COYW

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

If we can get Goss and Slattery fit at the same time, that should give us some quality in the midfield.

Exactly that. I'm hoping that we'll see some more football played through rather than over the midfield at some point this season. 

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

I thought Donnelly added a good bit of composure for us when he came on, we looked far more comfortable in possession then than with Grimmy in there.

I'm not  a big fan of Donnelly, but he made a really big contribution when he came on. His composure and simple, accurate passing saw us start to get on the front foot a bit.

Good result, not so great performance, but points are what matters so I'll take it.

We could have had the game wrapped up in the first 15 minutes if we'd been a bit more clinical, as they looked rattled by how we started, however we let them back into the game too easily, and they were the better team for most of the game. They didn't carve out too many chances, but I felt like us keeping it to just one conceded was more down to County than us. Even their goal was an accident.

Grimshaw can run all day, but he seems genuinely surprised any time he ends up with the ball, and doesn't know what to do with it. There was also too many occasions today where he was beaten to second balls. Donnelly showed more composure when he came on, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start next week

I felt that Woolery was too negative, and avoided taking on his man any time he had the chance. Watt was excellent and would have been man of the match even if he hadn't scored. VV was kicked/marked out of the game and barely got involved.

Slattery is a quality player. He breaks up play well, knows how to take the pressure off by winning fouls and slowing the game down, and rarely wastes possession. He needs some solid support in there so that he can get the time and space to be more creative.

Our full backs were exposed for most of the game, and we are going to be in serious trouble against decent wingers who are more accomplished with their final ball and decision making.

I'm happy that we are accumulating points while we are changing the back 4 every week and still gelling. The day that front 3 clicks is going to be fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

If we can get Goss and Slattery fit at the same time, that should give us some quality in the midfield.

53 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

I’m interested in all the very positive views on Slattery, and I mean over the last few games not just today. I think he’s been decent, comfortable on the ball, tidy in general, added a goal today obviously…. But for me he’s not involved enough and seems to drift in and out of the action… what am I missing?

Same as u great goal today but not involved enough could be he's not up to speed yet of Scottish football 

• Confused 1

Great 3 points. Ross County were a tough opponent and will start picking up points before too long. Watt can do no wrong just now! Slattery goal was a cracker and he is slowly starting to show his quality. Midfield clearly still needs work. Donnelly has been building up slowly it seems after a long lay off but he brings much needed control and composure, won't be a shock to see him claim CDM role soon enough. Woolery needs to be more direct at times he can be a bigger threat. 7 games in and we are showing up to be a well coached team with good potential. Can't complain too much!

32 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Same as u great goal today but not involved enough could be he's not up to speed yet of Scottish football 

He's been involved every week. Works hard on and off the ball. Good tackler.  Never wastes a pass, has a footballing brain in his head and can take care of himself when things get physical. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Slattery is a quality player. He breaks up play well, knows how to take the pressure off by winning fouls and slowing the game down, and rarely wastes possession. He needs some solid support in there so that he can get the time and space to be more creative.

This is it for me when I'm heading praise on Slattery.

Between him breaking up attacks, buying fouls all day and most importantly knowing when and being able to put his foot on the ball and just move it on a simple pass when it's being ping pinging back and forth.  So many players would just continue the back and forth but he's always the one willing to take the sting out and actually move the ball.

Also when is the MOTM thread going up so we can all vote for Watt again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ohwulliewullie said:

I’m interested in all the very positive views on Slattery, and I mean over the last few games not just today. I think he’s been decent, comfortable on the ball, tidy in general, added a goal today obviously…. But for me he’s not involved enough and seems to drift in and out of the action… what am I missing?

I noticed early on that Slattery was being man marked by their No 8 Callachan for most of the game. Anywhere Slattery went this guy was on him in a flash. He looked a tidy player as well with the ball at feet and impressed me with his play. I would take him at Fir Park in a heart beat even if he is ex-accies

3 hours ago, fizoxy said:

I felt that Woolery was too negative, and avoided taking on his man any time he had the chance. Watt was excellent and would have been man of the match even if he hadn't scored. VV was kicked/marked out of the game and barely got involved.

Our full backs were exposed for most of the game, and we are going to be in serious trouble against decent wingers who are more accomplished with their final ball and decision making.

I'm happy that we are accumulating points while we are changing the back 4 every week and still gelling. The day that front 3 clicks is going to be fun.

Good post. I wouldn't be too hard on Woolery though.  He was constantly closed down by 2 or 3 defenders and given little room or time. In fact County had done their homework and targeted Slattery, Woolery, Watt and Van Veen from the off, not being too particular how they did it. A lax, inconsistent referee helped them in that regard. Slattery took his goal well and was motoring until his yellow card and that took the edge off his game. I still feel though that the midfield balance isn't right and have concerns about O'Hara and Grimshaw. Hopefully Goss will get fit and show us what he can do. Yes, our full backs were very exposed and it wouldn't have mattered who was playing there - they would still have been on a hiding to nothing.  To be fair we have still to field a settled back 4. 

I though Ojala played well, as did Slattery and the inspirational Watt. A good win in what was always going to be a tough game. County were energetic and closed us down very well but lacked a cutting edge and a bit of quality. 

I was to busy talking at the time so didn't see quite how good lamies ball through was for the winner.i was critical of him last season and was hoping we would move him on over the summer but he's been very dependable so far this season and I don't have the fear when I see his name on the team sheet and long may it continue.we have some really good options in general at centre back this season.

Really good 3 points from a tough fixture.

Ross County moved the ball about well, but similar to the Aberdeen game, we limited them mostly to chances from wide angles and Kellys saves were all ones youd expect him to make.

I think until Goss is fit or we stumble across some other combination in midfield we will just have to get used to this style of football. It is effective, if not overly easy on the eye at times.

Slattery was very good again today, he is carrying our midfield pretty much by himself every week. He is the only one in there with any composure ir ability to make a forward pass. With another decent player in there beside him he would look even better. Took his goal very well.

Tony Watt was outstanding though. His first touch is excellent and his ability to take the ball in and drag us up the field, dance round players or just buy us a foul is a joy to watch.

Bring on the Jambos!