Motherwell v Ross County 25/9/21

SteelmaninOZ

12 hours ago, weeyin said:

He's been involved every week. Works hard on and off the ball. Good tackler.  Never wastes a pass, has a footballing brain in his head and can take care of himself when things get physical. 

Yes, but other than that, what have the Romans done for us?

A thought provoking post on the SIWY Facebook page about yesterday's referee.  In particular the comment about Stephen O'Donnell being pulled up for stealing yards at a throw in, and Ross County being awarded the throw in.

In general, stealing yards is something that really bugs me.  I'm not talking about the odd yard or two or measuring distances with a tape measure; but rather stealing 5 or 10 yards. Its years since I saw a player penalised, despite this happening frequently week in week out. In the course of a game the referee may occsionally speak to a player once and at random. Quite why the referee singled out O'Donnell yesterday, when there were worse offenders is totally beyond me.   Another instance of inconsistency in refereeing. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A thought provoking post on the SIWY Facebook page about yesterday's referee.  In particular the comment about Stephen O'Donnell being pulled up for stealing yards at a throw in, and Ross County being awarded the throw in.

In general, stealing yards is something that really bugs me.  I'm not talking about the odd yard or two or measuring distances with a tape measure; but rather stealing 5 or 10 yards. Its years since I saw a player penalised, despite this happening frequently week in week out. In the course of a game the referee may occsionally speak to a player once and at random. Quite why the referee singled out O'Donnell yesterday, when there were worse offenders is totally beyond me.   Another instance of inconsistency in refereeing. 

Refs in general the world over get stick, it is of course par for the course and not something I would ever have wanted to do. We have a couple of players now in Slattery and Van Veen that are a referees nightmare, they use every trick in the book between them and it’s very refreshing to finally see these type of players in a Motherwell shirt. Scott Brown has spent his footballing life taking advantage of the dreadful standard of Scottish referees and nothing changes I’m afraid, they are just so inconsistent it’s laughable at times and something that’s never been addressed. I honestly don’t’t know enough about the training that refs are given up here and if there are differences to that received down south, I’m guessing it’s the same and it’s simply a smaller pool of individuals wanting to do the job and as such we get refs up here that would be officiating in the lower leagues down in England.

59 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

That was the one that put the tin lid on it for me.

He had been horribly inconsistent all game and was lecturing players like they were wee schoolboys when they got annoyed at him for damn good reason. 

But you NEVER see that decision given. A shrill blow of the whistle and a waggy finger to get back is usually about it. To make it worse SOD hadnt actually stolen that much yardage.

Just a very officious humourless robotic performance.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

This really winds me up too,  I’m sure there was one yesterday where the ball went out in the Ross County half but they took the throw in from out half.

These things very rarely make any difference apart from setting off my OCD

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

A good win from a close fought game. Not our best peformance so far.

a good win and the points are always good but what we are watching is far from good football. Results will always be more important than performance its the nature of the beast. Although the purists will always try and tell you otherwise

I didn't get a close look at the O'Donnell decision but was he not penalised for encroaching on the field of play  at the throw in? That would explain why RC were awarded the shy.

The referee looked out of his depth. My lip reading isn't perfect but I think he shouted, "Shut it!" when Alexander made a comment about being booked: hardly the way to inspire respect from players or managers.

Willie Collum's love-child?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

O’Donnell wasn’t pulled up for stealing yards …… he was on the pitch when he took the throwing 

The ref looked like a clone of Willie Collum and was every bit as bad as him but on this occasion he was correct in his decision although I’m sure it was the linesman that gave it .

20 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Not an easy watch but delighted with the three points. 

Watt yet again our talisman and a cracker of a goal from Slattery. He’s been a superb signing so far.

must admit when we signed watt i was like     meh,, not for me    but ffs the boy has proved me 100% wrong   of all the teams heez played with he must just have slotted right inn , 10 mins from his house, own bed every night ,happy wife = contented footballer= benifits us    win win all round  so take a bow TW

• Like 1

I thought watt would have been nothing more than a short term option when he signed,he's been brilliant for us and clearly he's put a lot of effort in since he arrived on his fitness and physique,he's just another example of players that seem to fit right in at our club when they have struggled to settle elsewhere.im sure he said recently this is the best he has felt at any club he's been at which is good to hear, hopefully there's a new contract on the table before to long.

20 minutes ago, mfc said:

I thought watt would have been nothing more than a short term option when he signed,he's been brilliant for us and clearly he's put a lot of effort in since he arrived on his fitness and physique,he's just another example of players that seem to fit right in at our club when they have struggled to settle elsewhere.im sure he said recently this is the best he has felt at any club he's been at which is good to hear, hopefully there's a new contract on the table before to long.

His quote from yesterday regarding scoring and celebrating his goal -  "Words can’t describe how this feels, it just feels like home here"

We bit of a stat research on yesterday's referee,

From what I can find Craig Napier has refereed only 13 top division games since 15 Aug 2020. I suspect he is a lower league referee who gets promoted now and again for perceived low key matches. The fact he has taken charge of league games involving every top division side other than Celtic and Rangers speaks volumes to me. Clearly he is not considered strong/competent enough to referee those two.

He was useless though and a few times he did not even appear to know the rules. As I understand them anyway. ...........the injured player stoppage, when the ball hit him, and when he asked our player to leave the pitch after treatment following a foul and yellow card for a County player (the fourth official overruled that instruction).

On a positive note he has refereed Motherwell four times and we have won three. The loss being 2-0 at Aberdeen when I recall him being referred to as  "The referee who is not allowed to referee Celtic or Rangers". I took that with a pinch of salt but it now rings true.

3 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

He’s been a complete revelation and must be close to a Scotland call up. I’d be gutted if we lost him to another club.

naw canny really see that happening    heez happy and contented and seems to be in a good place, theres more to football than money a happy player gives you that wee bit more percentage wise 

17 minutes ago, dennyc said:

We bit of a stat research on yesterday's referee,

From what I can find Craig Napier has refereed only 13 top division games since 15 Aug 2020. I suspect he is a lower league referee who gets promoted now and again for perceived low key matches. The fact he has taken charge of league games involving every top division side other than Celtic and Rangers speaks volumes to me. Clearly he is not considered strong/competent enough to referee those two.

He was useless though and a few times he did not even appear to know the rules. As I understand them anyway. ...........the injured player stoppage, when the ball hit him, and when he asked our player to leave the pitch after treatment following a foul and yellow card for a County player (the fourth official overruled that instruction).

On a positive note he has refereed Motherwell four times and we have won three. The loss being 2-0 at Aberdeen when I recall him being referred to as  "The referee who is not allowed to referee Celtic or Rangers". I took that with a pinch of salt but it now rings true.

Great quote from a poster over at P&B

"Genuinely one of the worst referees I've ever seen, Looked like Captain America before they started the experiment on him"

LOL and he did.

3 hours ago, smiddy said:

must admit when we signed watt i was like     meh,, not for me    but ffs the boy has proved me 100% wrong   of all the teams heez played with he must just have slotted right inn , 10 mins from his house, own bed every night ,happy wife = contented footballer= benifits us    win win all round  so take a bow TW

I was the same. He was a journey man who’d failed to make a serious impression at any of the last few clubs he’d been at, yet he seems to have found his feet here and seems genuinely happy  while playing well and scoring goals regularly. He’s also built up a bit of a rapport with the support which is absolutely brilliant to see.

2 hours ago, smiddy said:

naw canny really see that happening    heez happy and contented and seems to be in a good place, theres more to football than money a happy player gives you that wee bit more percentage wise 

Yes absolutely agree with this. I don’t think he would be realistically expecting to be selected for the national side just now and from our perspective I’d much prefer that he wasn’t anywhere near that set up. I want our players 100% focussed on playing for us without distractions and we saw with our previous captain that getting into the national team can have a detrimental effect on their club form. 

Apologies if this has already been covered. Did anyone else hear GA scream at SOD in the first half and put him infront if the fans for turning his back? I’m sure GA said he did the same thing in training. 

Personally I loved the fact GA pulled out captain up for this. As he clearly holds high standards at the club.