Hearts v Motherwell 2/10/21

CoF

11 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Not disputing that but if you give players like Boyce chances he’ll punish you nine times out of ten. That was only our second league defeat of the season with the other coming against Hibs, two sides who are a level better than us and have players who can punish our mistakes at the back.

We are an improving side as we’ve shown with impressive results against Aberdeen and at Ibrox and as you say we shouldn’t be fearing the likes of Hearts or Hibs when they come to Fir Park and indeed on our day we could well get a result against either. However we will need to work on our defending and chance taking if we are to get such results.

We gifted Hearts 2 goals, one was a penalty and one was a free kick that Kelly should have saved but made a mess of - I don’t see that as mistakes being punished by clinical strikers. The difference today was that Kelly had an uncharacteristically poor 45 minutes that cost us the game. If he did that against any team in this league we’d struggle. We had plenty of the game and the better of the chances from open play so I don’t agree with the chat about Hearts being a level above.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

our luck ran out today .

in recent games we’ve allowed teams a lot of shots and generally gone unpunished .

today we got punished by a team that’s generally better than us. 

like others  have mentioned our midfield is our weakest area - be great to get goss In the first team 

Kelly made 1 real save from open play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

If you give away cheap goals and don’t take your chances then that’s what happens. Hearts as a side are a level well above us and that’s why they took the points today. They have forward players like Boyce who is clinical at this level and a top quality goalkeeper in Gordon playing behind a better centre half pairing than we can put out.

We’ve got a long way to go before we can start taking points against the ‘better’ sides regularly.

Unfortunately for us we’re now into an international break then we’ve got Celtic next so it’ll be a good few weeks before we can realistically hope to get back on track.

don't agree , technically they have better players but with an ounce of composure today we could have got something out of that game. Hearts created next to fuck all from open play. We gifted them two goals and we shouldn't fear Celtic they are rank defensively

8 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Kelly made 1 real save from open play. 

exactly all this pish that Hearts were far better today has me baffled. Other than two gift goals there was nothing between the teams. They were the better in the 1st half we were the better in the second. Sure Hearts are easier on the eye but that's it.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

What a team that created one / two chances from open play against Motherwell?? I think not. Hearts were nothing special

Hearts were decent in the first half and knocked it about fairly well but i didn't come away from that game being overly impressed by them,it was our poor decision making in the first half that handed them victory,if woolery had scored that game could easily have turned.i think hearts and hibs will battle it out for third but nothing more than that,even a poor celtic team will finish clear of either.

10 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

What a team that created one / two chances from open play against Motherwell?? I think not. Hearts were nothing special

They are grinding out results and the old firm look vulnerable this season. I’m not saying they will win it, however, they look like they will be in the top three barring injuries. 

15 minutes ago, mfc said:

Hearts were decent in the first half and knocked it about fairly well but i didn't come away from that game being overly impressed by them,it was our poor decision making in the first half that handed them victory,if woolery had scored that game could easily have turned.i think hearts and hibs will battle it out for third but nothing more than that,even a poor celtic team will finish clear of either.

Bang On Hearts were gifted a game and were nothing special. 

We could have played till next Saturday and not scored .The three in midfield were poor as were the full backs Van the man would have better sitting next to me he was shocking .Tony Watt put a power of work in but never got any help as for GA his after match comments are getting up there wae Robinsons 

• Like 2

Missed most of the first half, so cant comment on their goals. Thought we finished the half strongly and but for a very good save from Gordon and a lack of composure from the resulting corner, we might have got one back before half time.

2nd half Hearts started the brighter. I thought their player went down very easily for the penalty, so it was nice to see it saved.

That seemed to kickstart us and I thought for the rest of the half we had the better of the play and chances. A mixture of good goalkeeping, poor finishing and bad decision making stopped us from getting a foothold in the game. It would be interesting to see how Hearts would have handled it at that stage.

Overall, a disappointing result, but the character of the team remained on display right to the end. We know the issues in midfield. Hopefully Goss and Sondre can both be fit for the Celtic game and we can get our strongest 11 on the pitch.

18 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Hopefully Goss and Sondre can both be fit for Celtic and we can get our strongest 11 on the pitch.

Up for debate by I see our strongest 11 looking something like 

Kelly
           Mugabi   Ojala   Sondre

O’Donnell   Slattery   Goss   Carroll

Wollery    Watt    Van Veem

2 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

If Hearts can stay focussed and injury free we may just have been beaten by the main title challengers to Rangers this season.

No chance! :lol:

If Celtic get their act together and stop dropping daft points they will romp the league but we all know that Rangers will finish second in that scenario. Hearts are, I maintain, a level above us and will certainly be in the mix for third but they’ll be nowhere near a title challenge.

12 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Kelly
           Mugabi   Ojala   Sondre

Not far away from what I would go with......

Kelly

SOD   Ojala  Sondre  Carroll

Slattery  O'Hara  Goss

Woolery Watt KVV

27 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not far away from what I would go with......

Kelly

SOD   Ojala  Sondre  Carroll

Slattery  O'Hara  Goss

Woolery Watt KVV

I was slightly disappointed in KVV as he was much the same against Ross County last week, although I thought Sheilds was very unlucky not to open his account for us, only a good save from Gordon that prevented him scoring.

55 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Kelly
           Mugabi   Ojala   Sondre

Still not sure about Woolery,  Roberts possibly ahead of him. Left side a weakness as not convinced by either Carroll or mcginley

I found that such an infuriating afternoon - Hearts we’re nothing special (Baningime and Boyce aside), but they didn’t have to be. Maybe they could have upped it a gear if they’d had to? And in spite of the two self-inflicted wounds, if we’d got one back with the chances we had, I still felt we might have got something from the game. KVV looked like he was carrying an injury, and should have been taken off long before he was.

I also really hate refereeing like that… any contact = foul, and when the tone is set both sets of players look to buy fouls. I don’t mean by diving, but putting themselves deliberately in a position where the opposition player makes contact, they fall over, foul. I always think if the early ones get waved away, then it’s a lot less likely that the players start looking for it at every opportunity, and the game is better for it. It’s like that pretty much every week now I think. One of the root causes is refs that have never played the game at any kind of level. 

13 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

I found that such an infuriating afternoon - Hearts we’re nothing special (Baningime and Boyce aside), but they didn’t have to be. Maybe they could have upped it a gear if they’d had to? And in spite of the two self-inflicted wounds, if we’d got one back with the chances we had, I still felt we might have got something from the game. KVV looked like he was carrying an injury, and should have been taken off long before he was.

I also really hate refereeing like that… any contact = foul, and when the tone is set both sets of players look to buy fouls. I don’t mean by diving, but putting themselves deliberately in a position where the opposition player makes contact, they fall over, foul. I always think if the early ones get waved away, then it’s a lot less likely that the players start looking for it at every opportunity, and the game is better for it. It’s like that pretty much every week now I think. One of the root causes is refs that have never played the game at any kind of level. 

I used to play football with Bobby Madden and he was a decent player but he spoke to everyone on the pitch. Like him or loathe him but he tries to let the game flow because he does understand.

42 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Still not sure about Woolery,  Roberts possibly ahead of him. Left side a weakness as not convinced by either Carroll or mcginley

I would stick with Woolery as I think hebis improving and I dont think putting him on the bench would allow that development to continue. He is our player for 3 years so its in our interests to make sure he fulfills his potential.

Ive no issue with Roberts. I think he probably is the more complete atricle, but he is a loan player and does provide us with an impact from the bench.

The McGinley/Carroll conundrum is a difficult one.  For me McGinley is the better defender, but his delivery has been poor.  Carroll is generally better going forward but he regularly gets caught out of position causing him to make rash challenges. Both do an adequate job at our level.

I just hope Goss is going to be the answer in midfield because thats where our issues lie. However, even if we get him fit and he does a job, we could be doing with another body in there in January to cover for him or Slattery if either are out, because all our other options are a drop in quality.

• Like 2