Hearts v Motherwell 2/10/21

CoF

6 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

I used to play football with Bobby Madden and he was a decent player but he spoke to everyone on the pitch. Like him or loathe him but he tries to let the game flow because he does understand.

In regards to the game, maybe I'm getting old - but no disloyalty - I was disappointed but I thought the game itself was quite good and kept me entertained on a Saturday afternoon.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

I was slightly disappointed in KVV as he was much the same against Ross County last week, although I thought Sheilds was very unlucky not to open his account for us, only a good save from Gordon that prevented him scoring.

He does seem to blow hot and cold.

Not seen enough of Shields to judge whether he is good enough, but if KVV  is injured or outnof form he deserves a chance to prove himself.

While I think most are in agreement that we need to improve, especially in midfield, based on our results and attitude we look capable of taking points off any of the other 11 teams. The question is how much can we limit our poor performances and daft mistakes to attain some level of consistency? 

37 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

He does seem to blow hot and cold.

Not seen enough of Shields to judge whether he is good enough, but if KVV  is injured or outnof form he deserves a chance to prove himself.

Yes KVV does blow hot and cold. There's no in-between. If he was hot every week he wouldn't be with us. If we've given Shields a 3 year deal we must have seen something in him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

While I think most are in agreement that we need to improve, especially in midfield, based on our results and attitude we look capable of taking points off any of the other 11 teams. The question is how much can we limit our poor performances and daft mistakes to attain some level of consistency? 

Agree 

Hopefully just a bump on the lad to better things. Our good run was bound to end sometime and throw in the fact that Tynecastle has, in my experience,never been a happy hunting ground for us together with the curse of manager of the month, and this result isn't too much of a surprise. Still, our performance wasn't completely awful so hopefully it doesn't result in a downward spiral in terms of results. Hopefully we get a positive reaction in our next fixtures.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The African said:

Hopefully just a bump on the lad to better things. Our good run was bound to end sometime and throw in the fact that Tynecastle has, in my experience,never been a happy hunting ground for us together with the curse of manager of the month, and this result isn't too much of a surprise. Still, our performance wasn't completely awful so hopefully it doesn't result in a downward spiral in terms of results. Hopefully we get a positive reaction in our next fixtures.

Absolutely.  I assume the management team will be analysing the lead up to the 2 penalties and free kick and trying to rectify those errors. By that I mean, for example, what happened to cause Kelly to react the way he  did to the first penalty. Also, a critical examination of decision making up front.

Result was deserved after two moments of madness from Kelly. I wasn’t sold that it was a penalty at the time, the linesman surely had the clearest view of it but did the referee even go over to consult him? I’ve not seen it back yet but many have said it was a penalty so no complaints. 2nd pen I can’t comment on as it was obviously to far away to make judgment on it. 

Plenty of positives to take though. I thought Woolery was good, albeit he should have buried his chance straight after the penalty save which would have seen us back in the mix. He just doesn’t seem to be able to strike a ball properly. Mugabi was solid at the back too. On a different day we could have came home with a point. 

Criticism for me though has to goto our international experienced esteemed captain. Absolutely rotten. McGinley on the opposite flank wasn’t much better, fairly solid defensively but going forward offered very little. Swapping him for Carroll would have been my first change early in the second half when we had to go for it. 

Losing at Tynecastle in the manner we did yesterday was nothing to be ashamed about. Onto the next one. 

1 hour ago, GawnUpBy? said:

Result was deserved after two moments of madness from Kelly. I wasn’t sold that it was a penalty at the time, the linesman surely had the clearest view of it but did the referee even go over to consult him? I’ve not seen it back yet but many have said it was a penalty so no complaints. 2nd pen I can’t comment on as it was obviously to far away to make judgment on it. 

Plenty of positives to take though. I thought Woolery was good, albeit he should have buried his chance straight after the penalty save which would have seen us back in the mix. He just doesn’t seem to be able to strike a ball properly. Mugabi was solid at the back too. On a different day we could have came home with a point. 

Criticism for me though has to goto our international experienced esteemed captain. Absolutely rotten. McGinley on the opposite flank wasn’t much better, fairly solid defensively but going forward offered very little. Swapping him for Carroll would have been my first change early in the second half when we had to go for it. 

Losing at Tynecastle in the manner we did yesterday was nothing to be ashamed about. Onto the next one. 

I cannot agree more, although some social media sites had McGinley as the star man…based on what?

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

It was probably a penalty but the keeper shouldn’t have been near it, he wasn’t going to get there first.  What was Boyce going to do with the ball from that position?

That was what surprised me.  All Kelly had to do was nothing.

I suppose we are used to him being so good we don't think of him having any weaknesses, but there are a few times he's made rash decisions in situations like that. Should be an easy one to fix though,

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

That was what surprised me.  All Kelly had to do was nothing.

I suppose we are used to him being so good we don't think of him having any weaknesses, but there are a few times he's made rash decisions in situations like that. Should be an easy one to fix though,

Same with the free kick …… trust the wall to do it’s job no need for him to move to his left. If the guy gets it up and over the wall just hold your hand up and say well done.

He moves to his left before the ball was struck once he does that if the guy gets it on target he’s got no chance.

2 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Same with the free kick …… trust the wall to do it’s job no need for him to move to his left. If the guy gets it up and over the wall just hold your hand up and say well done.

He moves to his left before the ball was struck once he does that if the guy gets it on target he’s got no chance.

The free kick wasn’t even in the corner, if he had held his position he could have caught the ball.

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

The free kick wasn’t even in the corner, if he had held his position he could have caught the ball.

Him moving makes the Hertz players mind up 

If he doesn’t move he’s got to try and get the ball up and over the wall and dip …… not the easiest of skills from that position/distance

The biggest discussion point should be the middle of the park this forum has pointed it out since the start of the season . The guys in the middle 3 have little or no ability in Slatterys case no pace and every time he makes a tackle it's a foul what he done for the penalty was ridiculous . Ohara and Grimshaw run about looking busy but have no vision or skill to create anything . IMO we have to play at the moment with 4 in the middle Hearts played through our 3 yesterday with ease 

44 minutes ago, Yodo said:

The biggest discussion point should be the middle of the park this forum has pointed it out since the start of the season . The guys in the middle 3 have little or no ability in Slatterys case no pace and every time he makes a tackle it's a foul what he done for the penalty was ridiculous . Ohara and Grimshaw run about looking busy but have no vision or skill to create anything . IMO we have to play at the moment with 4 in the middle Hearts played through our 3 yesterday with ease 

Slattery has been brilliant for us since joining. Your opinion but its miles off

47 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Agree that a 4 in midfield may help 

But your assessment of Slattery is a heap of shite he’s a class act and I only wish we had also got the boy  Gotts from Leeds.

Have a good look a their so called 2nd penalty Slatterys reaction tells you everything he was livid with the ref as he never touched the player !!!! 

5 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Slattery has been brilliant for us since joining. Your opinion but its miles off

Agreed,I've been impressed with slattery,he's composed on the ball with a decent range of passing and isn't scared to get stuck in,it's the others beside him that aren't good enough,take yesterday grimshaw and O'Hara aren't good enough to be in the team at the same time,we might get away with one of them if we had another player like slattery in there but sadly right now we dont.midfield will need to be addressed in january,two out two in would be a good start.

• Like 1

Grimshaw kept on running over to right back in the first half yesterday which left us two men short in midfield rather than one. He stayed more central in the second half so he obviously got pulled up about it. I saw SOD giving them pelters as well at the start of the second half.

17 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I would stick with Woolery as I think hebis improving and I dont think putting him on the bench would allow that development to continue. He is our player for 3 years so its in our interests to make sure he fulfills his potential.

Ive no issue with Roberts. I think he probably is the more complete atricle, but he is a loan player and does provide us with an impact from the bench.

The McGinley/Carroll conundrum is a difficult one.  For me McGinley is the better defender, but his delivery has been poor.  Carroll is generally better going forward but he regularly gets caught out of position causing him to make rash challenges. Both do an adequate job at our level.

I just hope Goss is going to be the answer in midfield because thats where our issues lie. However, even if we get him fit and he does a job, we could be doing with another body in there in January to cover for him or Slattery if either are out, because all our other options are a drop in quality.

Thank you for saving me some typing!

I don't think Woolery has been involved much in the matches I've seen but when he has been there has been some result from what he's doing - a goal, an assist, decent delivery etc.   I'd be happy to persevere with him for the moment to see if he can continue contributing to the important part of the game which is setting up, or scoring goals.  

Totally agree on McGinley/Carroll and the midfield situation.

4 hours ago, ropy said:

It was probably a penalty but the keeper shouldn’t have been near it, he wasn’t going to get there first.  What was Boyce going to do with the ball from that position?

he didnt need to think about what he was going to do      kelly made his mind up for him        "  you come near me and am dropping like a stone "

• Like 1