Hearts v Motherwell 2/10/21

CoF

20 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I would stick with Woolery as I think hebis improving and I dont think putting him on the bench would allow that development to continue. He is our player for 3 years so its in our interests to make sure he fulfills his potential.

Ive no issue with Roberts. I think he probably is the more complete atricle, but he is a loan player and does provide us with an impact from the bench.

The McGinley/Carroll conundrum is a difficult one.  For me McGinley is the better defender, but his delivery has been poor.  Carroll is generally better going forward but he regularly gets caught out of position causing him to make rash challenges. Both do an adequate job at our level.

I just hope Goss is going to be the answer in midfield because thats where our issues lie. However, even if we get him fit and he does a job, we could be doing with another body in there in January to cover for him or Slattery if either are out, because all our other options are a drop in quality.

If Goss is the answer, what is the question? Not a slant on the player - suspect he’ll offer a better balance and a creative spark when fit.

Surprised some repeat the belief about dominating midfield. Alexander has never set us up to do so relying on retaining shape and it’s hard to argue against its effectiveness.

Another body in there in January? We have 9 vying for 3 places as it is. Granted a few are contributing little, other options being a drop in quality is how positions 12-18 in a matchday squad work no?

I thought both penalties were of the soft variety.

Not sure there was any actual contact on Boyce for the first one and Slattery looked as if he just leaned into Devlin who just threw himself to the ground for the 2nd.

Id have been claiming for them at our end without really expecting to get either of them.

6 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

If Goss is the answer, what is the question? Not a slant on the player - suspect he’ll offer a better balance and a creative spark when fit.

Surprised some repeat the belief about dominating midfield. Alexander has never set us up to do so relying on retaining shape and it’s hard to argue against its effectiveness.

Another body in there in January? We have 9 vying for 3 places as it is. Granted a few are contributing little, other options being a drop in quality is how positions 12-18 in a matchday squad work no?

I would happily get rid of quite of a few of those 9. I would only keep Slatterly, Donnelly,  Goss (have not seen much of him). Maguire, O'Hara, Crawford, Parker (from what I am hearing he wont get a game anyway and is for intensive development)  would all be gone for me. Grimmy would be kept for defensive cover. lawless would be gone just to free up a wage amongst the other freed wages to get another midfielder to complement Slattery

2 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Not sure where to start with this?

I think its widely accepted by most on here that our recruitment up front and in defence has improved both areas of our squad. We look much more like scoring goals and much more solid at the back, hence our healthy points total.

I think its also widely accepted that our midfield looks disjointed and outnumbered most weeks. So the question is clearly how  we improve upon that. Given Goss was brought to the club and paraded as a cultured midfielder with good ability on the ball and a sweet left foot, its surely not unreasonable to think he might be a usefull addition in midfield and help Slattery and improve our ball retention.  You dont need to be set up to dominate other teams to believe that keeping the ball when we have it is a good thing.

Re the 9 for 3 spaces? Who are they?

Other than the 3 that are playing and Goss who is injures we have Donnelly and Maguire who are more like for like replacements for Grimshaw and O'Hara. We have other attack minded players like Roberts or Amaluzor, but you cant class them as midfielders.  Are we counting Cornelius, Crawford and Lawless who all appear to be well out of the picture?

Robinson was criticised for his comments about strengthening 12-18 in the matchday squad and rightly so.  If we want to keep progressing as a team we need to identify where we are weak and improve there. If the players we have are "contributing little" lets get them moved on and get better players in who can contribute.

Thats how you constantly improve, no?

56 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not sure where to start with this?

I think its widely accepted by most on here that our recruitment up front and in defence has improved both areas of our squad. We look much more like scoring goals and much more solid at the back, hence our healthy points total.

I think its also widely accepted that our midfield looks disjointed and outnumbered most weeks. So the question is clearly how  we improve upon that. Given Goss was brought to the club and paraded as a cultured midfielder with good ability on the ball and a sweet left foot, its surely not unreasonable to think he might be a usefull addition in midfield and help Slattery and improve our ball retention.  You dont need to be set up to dominate other teams to believe that keeping the ball when we have it is a good thing.

Re the 9 for 3 spaces? Who are they?

Other than the 3 that are playing and Goss who is injures we have Donnelly and Maguire who are more like for like replacements for Grimshaw and O'Hara. We have other attack minded players like Roberts or Amaluzor, but you cant class them as midfielders.  Are we counting Cornelius, Crawford and Lawless who all appear to be well out of the picture?

Robinson was criticised for his comments about strengthening 12-18 in the matchday squad and rightly so.  If we want to keep progressing as a team we need to identify where we are weak and improve there. If the players we have are "contributing little" lets get them moved on and get better players in who can contribute.

Thats how you constantly improve, no?

Maybe start with point being made? Perhaps dominating midfield may not have been the best analogy, what is for certain is we’re not set up to retain possession (which I agree I’d like to see improvement) in the way the rank and file on here feel we’re disjointed & outnumbered. It’s all about retaining shape. I’d suggest on the evidence since January it will take a massive swing in change of thought for that to evolve. 

Dress it up how you like, there are 9 bodies currently discounting the two attackers you mention for effect. I’d question Donnelly being a direct replacement for Grimshaw - despite being a defender trying to be a midfielder, he’s asked to be deep sitting, holding type. Not what is asked of Grimshaw. Your understanding of being out the picture differs greatly from Alexander - Crawford (regardless of opinion) is a matchday squad regular. Cornelius not given a loan chance as his development is seen to be best served around our first team environment may be questionable, just have to trust the management judgement on that. Lawless? Highlights previous poor recruitment.

Robinson was rightly criticised not for his ideal rather as his strengthening of his 12-18 wasn’t by the natural act of strengthening a first 11.

Getting those we feel are not contributing to move on isn’t as easy especially in current climate. Well aware how we constantly improve. Investing as we have in players of Slattery quality isn’t to fill squad places - next step in quality is realms of fantasy for our club perhaps questioning your grasp on how we as a club operate?

Just watched replays of the 2 goals we lost. The first one was a definite penalty although Boyce was guilty of simulation. As others have said, Kelly was badly at fault. However there was also other examples of poor defending in the lead up. The Hearts midfielder who passed to Boyce was given far too much time and space to pick his pass. No-one closed him down. Also, Mugabi totally lost Boyce and remained static whilst Boyce ran through. As always no single player to blame but a series of defensive errors.

2 hours ago, smiddy said:

correct,     but when boyce seen him coming you bet yir boots that was the only thing on his mind 

Every striker would do the same, we would not be complaining if it had been Watt or KVV than won the pen, hopefully if and when Scotland starts using VAR the dodgy penalties, diving etc will  be eliminated from the game.

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Every striker would do the same, we would not be complaining if it had been Watt or KVV than won the pen, hopefully if and when Scotland starts using VAR the dodgy penalties, diving etc will  be eliminated from the game.

thats what a ment     kelly shouldv not been any where near him     but he was     so boyce went doon like a whores knickers 

54 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Did anyone see the push on Phil Foden in Liverpool v Man City yesterday and no foul given compared to Slattery’ s push on Devlin, the Foden push seemed a LOT worse than Slattery’s push, so in England they don’t give fouls but up here we do, are we not all working to the same rules!!

Depends what week. Milner should also have had a stick on second yellow and didn’t get it. 

On 10/4/2021 at 7:45 AM, smiddy said:

correct,     but when boyce seen him coming you bet yir boots that was the only thing on his mind 

finally got round to watching highlights today, it's a stone Waller of a pen, dont blame Boyce at all....second one isnt a pen, more officials who dont know the game

from the brief highlights , if we have Gordon in goal, we win.