Hearts v Motherwell 2/10/21

CoF

4 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Before we kicked a ball we were out numbered in midfield - 4 vs 3 , not surprising the midfield find it difficult 

too easy to blame players - they didn’t have much of a chance 

If we play two in midfield or three or even a four in a diamond,I don't see it making any difference,other than slattery our midfield options are really poor,to many players that offer nothing and are of a similar standard.the midfield isn't the reason we lost today,we looked flat from the off and our decision making killed us.

If we're being objective, then I don't think anyone will be surprised at this result. We have been getting results without playing particularly well and was only a matter of time before our good fortune ran out. Hearts won comfortably after those 2 (cheap) goals. All things considered, cannot be too unhappy with the start we've made. Midfield remains a concern though ..

We had so many chances to get back into that game, but I guess our conversion rate was unsustainable. Amazingly that must have been the fewest chances we've conceded from open play. That miss before the half time whistle was criminal.

The penalties looked soft, but the shite effort for the second gave us a glimmer, then Woolery shat himself when he had a chance to score. I'm just surprised he didn't find a way to pass that one backwards. Van Veen looked hungover.

That was the first time I've saw Beni, some player. Gordon could probably play another ten years. He had one excellent save, the others were pretty routine.

If you give away cheap goals and don’t take your chances then that’s what happens. Hearts as a side are a level well above us and that’s why they took the points today. They have forward players like Boyce who is clinical at this level and a top quality goalkeeper in Gordon playing behind a better centre half pairing than we can put out.

We’ve got a long way to go before we can start taking points against the ‘better’ sides regularly.

Unfortunately for us we’re now into an international break then we’ve got Celtic next so it’ll be a good few weeks before we can realistically hope to get back on track.

6 minutes ago, gazzetta19 said:

If we're being objective, then I don't think anyone will be surprised at this result. We have been getting results without playing particularly well and was only a matter of time before our good fortune ran out. Hearts won comfortably after those 2 (cheap) goals. All things considered, cannot be too unhappy with the start we've made. Midfield remains a concern though ..

Agree. Sitting in 4th spot after 8 games, I’ll take it. Cut out the stupid mistakes and we will continue to pick up points. We definitely had chances to score today but just couldn’t do it. 

11 minutes ago, gazzetta19 said:

Pretty much my view. No point in getting steamed up about a poor performance. We all know where the weakness lies. It could easily have been 3 cheap goals but it wasn't. After a very poor start we limited the damage - no red cards or bad injuries, so overall job done. A bad day at the office and we move on. I would like to see Goss and Johansen get some gametime in a settled side. 

1 minute ago, fizoxy said:

"we're getting Celtic at a good time, they're the worst they've ever been."

Celtic will destroy us in two weeks time. We won’t cope with their pace up front. As I said, it’s the worst possible game to hope to ‘bounce back’ in.

Just now, Coatsy said:

Better second half, usual fails this week from the midfield pair + KVV and Kelly ( who is normally sound). Thought Mugabi was outstanding today.

I think the International call up's have went to some players heads

First goal Kelly, second goal 95% Kelly but normally he is helping us secure points so can’t be too harsh on him as long as he doesn’t start to make a habit of it. Combine that with this being the first game we have not scored in, it didn’t help matters. Still upbeat though and better to be dealing with a defeat when battling for top spot rather than avoiding relegation spot. 

Having a striker that gets a nosebleed in front of goal, or in attacking situations in general, is problematic. Woolery needs a spell on the bench.

O'Hara needs to be taken off set pieces. We have so many threats from those, and he's nullifying them. If he does play then he needs a plan b if he doesn't get himself fouled.

Thought Bevis and McGinley we're fine defensively today, and the latter can be snide when he needs to be, but if he can't put in a half decent cross he needs to make way. Similar to O'Hara, we are leaving attacking opportunities on the table with him out there. We need to weigh that against the risk of Carroll murdering someone, but I like living on the edge.

25 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

If you give away cheap goals and don’t take your chances then that’s what happens. Hearts as a side are a level well above us and that’s why they took the points today. They have forward players like Boyce who is clinical at this level and a top quality goalkeeper in Gordon playing behind a better centre half pairing than we can put out.

We’ve got a long way to go before we can start taking points against the ‘better’ sides regularly.

Unfortunately for us we’re now into an international break then we’ve got Celtic next so it’ll be a good few weeks before we can realistically hope to get back on track.

Think you’re going a wee bit OTT here.  Those clinical Hearts forwards didn’t score from open play and one of them missed a penalty. Both of their goals were the result of uncharacteristic mistakes from Liam Kelly and when your keeper makes mistakes you’re in trouble. We had a really poor first half but the second was fairly even. We didn’t do enough to deserve anything from the game but I see no reason why we should fear Hearts when they come to Fir Park.

2 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

Think you’re going a wee bit OTT here.  Those clinical Hearts forwards didn’t score from open play and one of them missed a penalty. Both of their goals were the result of uncharacteristic mistakes from Liam Kelly and when your keeper makes mistakes you’re in trouble. We had a really poor first half but the second was fairly even. We didn’t do enough to deserve anything from the game but I see no reason why we should fear Hearts when they come to Fir Park.

Hearts had 5 shots on target. That’s 2 pens, a free kick and 2 shots. I think Kelly only really had 1 real save. We just shot ourselves in the foot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

Not disputing that but if you give players like Boyce chances he’ll punish you nine times out of ten. That was only our second league defeat of the season with the other coming against Hibs, two sides who are a level better than us and have players who can punish our mistakes at the back.

We are an improving side as we’ve shown with impressive results against Aberdeen and at Ibrox and as you say we shouldn’t be fearing the likes of Hearts or Hibs when they come to Fir Park and indeed on our day we could well get a result against either. However we will need to work on our defending and chance taking if we are to get such results.

12 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

Agreed,we shot ourselves in the foot today,it was our doing that we lost the game and nothing hearts done.games like today come around every so often,where nothing seems to go our way and were left completely frustrated,all we can do is learn from it and take our frustrations into the next game