Motherwell v Celtic 16/10/2021

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Agree but it 100% would be given as a foul nowadays, as would the challenge on Main for Kirk’s  winner that day. Goalkeepers get a ridiculous amount of protection these days.

As would Bowman's blatant elbow on Boyd which led to one of United's goals.

49 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

As would Bowman's blatant elbow on Boyd which led to one of United's goals.

Dave Bowman was an animal of a player. Indeed was he and a few other United players not red carded in the tunnel for protesting about our winner that day?

And seeing as you mention him and to bring the thread back to the topic of Motherwell v Celtic, Tom Boyd is an odious, sanctimonious wank who has done nothing but disrespect us since he left. I don’t care if he was the last Motherwell captain to lift a trophy, his attitude and behaviour towards us since have completely sullied that. 

Looking forward to this afternoons game…….. rare home Saturday 3pm kick against one of the ugly sisters

Hopefully put their shaky defence under early pressure …….main fear that the match will be ruined by Willie Gollum with his inconsistent/petty refereeing, with his wee girly run to get the yellow/red cards out

Wouldn’t surprise me if we got a red card today. Not just because of Collum’s card happy refereeing but it seems like we almost always* get a red card in this fixture. On the other hand no Celtic player has been red carded at Fir Park since Boyd back in the early 90s.

* I know that we DON’T always get a red card in this fixture, but it just seems like it sometimes. Just clearing that up in case any pedantic poster decides to take issue with this and provide a set of stats to back it up. Hiya weeyin!

3 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if we got a red card today. Not just because of Collum’s card happy refereeing but it seems like we almost always* get a red card in this fixture. On the other hand no Celtic player has been red carded at Fir Park since Boyd back in the early 90s.

Van Veen looks a likely candidate. Got booked for giving Collum abuse in the Dundee game and he was only a sub then....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Van Veen looks a likely candidate. Got booked for giving Collum abuse in the Dundee game and he was only a sub then....

Mugabi would be my shout. Probably for a last man foul giving away a penalty.

If we are to have any chance of avoiding a pumping today we need to cut out defensive mistakes and lapses of concentration and perhaps even more importantly avoid gifting them a goal or two in the early stages.

A few rarities today, a full Premiership card kicking off at 3pm and it's the first time we have played against Celtic in a League fixture at this time and day in 9 years.

Cautiously optimistic about the match,  I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar scoreline to the Hibernian game, Celtic are slack at the back if Watt and Van Veen are on form I can see us  getting on the scoresheet, however if we are happy for them to have a pop from distance you feel Rogic, Turnbull and co would fancy their chances. That Furuhasi who plays up front also looks a handful.

I don't expect much from Collum today, he was terrible here in his last outing and while he might have been right to send off Carroll he let a carbon copy incident go unpunished for St Mirren a few weeks ago, so I expect no favours from him today as per.

If we take any points from todays game that would be tremendous.

30 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Not sure how Grimmy stays in the team after Tynecastle. More of a natural 4-5-1 which should suit us better as KVV was useless on the left against Hearts.

Hopefully Liam Kelly makes up for a fortnight ago with a clean sheet. 

I think Grimmy get's away with it as there's no other natural right midfielder  - personally I'd have dropped Woolery and played a 4 man midfield  - or even with 3 up front would drop Woolery

Maybe

7 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Bizarre team selection. Harsh on Lamie who doesn’t even make the bench. 

Maybe no that bizarre if your the manager , know whos injured and whos been shite in training.