Motherwell v Celtic 16/10/2021

SteelmaninOZ

Well, that was as  poor a performance against Celtic at FP as I've seen for a long time. We looked a beaten side at 3.00. The only positives were that its good to play so badly and only lose 2-0; no bad injuries; and no red cards. A dire all round team performance.

Not a terrible display but far from a good one. We just didn’t look fired up for it. At least Justin looked up for it when he came on. Despite loosing our last 2 games we are still only 6 points behind the leaders which is pretty decent for us considering the last couple of seasons. Need to start scoring again and pick up some points for the last 2 games of the round. 

That was as bad as any of the previous nine consecutive losses to Celtic. No belief that we could do anything and the customary cheap early goal conceded meaning that we were facing an uphill battle from the off.

As I said after the Hearts game, we are showing signs of improvement this season under GA but while we may be able to get results against the likes of Dundee, Ross County and Livingston, we will always struggle against sides who have any quality about them whatsoever. When you add in us being like rabbits in the headlights like we were today then we have no chance of getting big results.

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Well, that was as  poor a performance against Celtic at FP as I've seen for a long time. We looked a beaten side at 3.00. The only positives were that its good to play so badly and only lose 2-0; no bad injuries; and no red cards. A dire all round team performance.

Dire all round sums it up perfectly,i can't believe we approached this game in the manner we did,those two centre backs of celtic have been slaughtered all season and yet we put them under no pressure whatsoever.it definitely had the feel of a performance under robinson where it was just a case of get this game done and out the way rather than going out and trying for a result.theres still glaring issues with us especially in midfield and up front,the balance just isn't there no matter who we try.thats the last two games albeit tough fixtures that we have gone down with barely a whimper,let's just hope they don't effect us to much and we can start picking up points again as soon as.

Not scoring against that defence was criminal. We were robbed of a stonewall penalty, but we were so tentative in attack. There were a good number of good balls put across the box that no one gambled to get on the end of, and there were so many occasions we get the ball in wide areas and shat it, opting for a backwards pass.

I don't think anyone in particular had a bad game, but we did give them too much respect. I thought we'd try to noise them up, but we were tame. They looked dangerous on the counter but only had one other chance I can think of.

Pretty toothless and anaemic performance today but what's really disappointing is how Celtic were obviously honking across the back four and the goalkeeper and we've not managed to create a single real chance or make Hart make a save worth the name.

I thought we started the better team but even when we got down the sides we were aiming at  one shirt in the box.  Woolery and Roberts don't really cut inside off the ball like say Jamie Murphy did and therefore we didn't really have bodies in the box when a couple of decent balls went across the Celtic box.

After about 10 minutes Celtic started to come more into it and the goal was coming when it came.

After that we were pretty much a deflated bouncy castle.

Celtic deserved to win but I didn't think they were really up to much either.  

• Like 1

Bitterly disappointed with the performance more than the result. Started brightly but Celtic picked us off after ten minutes and our management didn’t have the tactical know how to adjust. 

Centre halves did well and felt  deeply sorry for grimy and slatterly- drastic lack of effort and running and general understanding of the press from the front 3. 

we never tested a shaky defence as we constantly went back the way at every opportunity with captain blame everyone else the main culprit. He also needs to stop hiding and standing in positions where he can’t actually receive the ball.  Our corner routine is dire and being outnumbered in the middle of the park against better teams will never see us dominate a game . 

Alexander talked a good game pre match but let’s hope he learns from that today - still waiting on us making a proper challenge. 

someone said Tony watt motm - hope that was a joke - effort and running levels in comparison to previous games looked below normal level to me but I suppose you can’t chase balls that your captain turns and plays back to our centre half or keeper constantly . 

4 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

In all honesty nothing new when it’s against the old firm. They obviously have far more quality but for some reason we continue to be the easiest team in the division for both of them, we just hardly ever  turn up.

As I said I don’t see us beating either of them again, or at least not any time in the foreseeable future. A combination of a lack of quality, lack of bottle, lack of luck and us always chucking them a cheap goal just when they need it.

That said I think our current style of play is far more suited to playing Rangers and I wouldn’t be atall surprised if we got a point against them in a fortnight. We won’t beat them though, obviously.

Need need to change tactics we don't have the players for 4-3-3 , DT gave Slattery and Goss a football lesson but of course they are only journeymen and showed that today . A real poor performance no belief in themselves against a poor Celtic defence , the midfield Goss especially didn't look fit and Woolery didn't look interested although Roberts wasn't much better .Just as well we have points on the board but it's going to be a long season on that performance 

• Like 1

I thought we started brightly but when we conceded we just went right off the boil, all the more frustrating as it looked like a foul to us in the build up. 

I said pre match if we just let them shoot from distance unchallenged we would be punished and they duly delivered on that front. 

Frustrating on the penalty front, time and time again they always get the benefit of the doubt, the linesman couldn't have had a better view of Boli slapping it away. 

Even more frustrating was that Celtic defensive was a bomb scare a d we made them look half competent. 

Poor performance, let Celtic pass us by.no pressing or not pressing as a team, thought Mugabi/ Ojala had a good game again but until we learn to pass the ball to another player we will live off scraps which means winning second balls. Unfortunately Celtic's passing was crisp so not much to live off. 

Front 3 did not work we had no one on the pitch that could protect the ball. KVV would have seemed the obvious starter, but me thinks he has a injury problem that means he can't play  90 regularly.

I was interested to see Goss and Slattery in midfield but they need more time together can't think on anything creative from them.

In saying that their goals were preventable No pressing from O'donnell for the first and how much time did Turnbull get for the second so defence at fault for first and midfield for second..

433 will work for certain games but today and places like tynecastle it just isnt the answer,we can't afford to give the better teams in the league the freedom of the middle of the park,I get we've done it all season gave up possession but the better teams will ultimately punish us.

• Like 1

That was a helluva comedown from being at Hampden last Saturday. Celtic obviously have some decent quality amongst their ranks but they remain a fragile team that we never came close to testing today. I found the inclusion of Goss a strange one and it played in Celtic’s hands, allowing their midfield three to dictate from start to finish. 

Hopefully we can up our performance levels at Tannadice next week or the good start to the season will be quickly forgotten unfortunately. 

12 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

I was interested to see Goss and Slattery in midfield but they need more time together can't think on anything creative from them.

There was nothing from the two of them really they were the problem and not the answer . Think Goss had two shots ( pardon me while I laugh ) at goals shocking attempts 

34 minutes ago, mfc said:

433 will work for certain games but today and places like tynecastle it just isnt the answer,we can't afford to give the better teams in the league the freedom of the middle of the park,I get we've done it all season gave up possession but the better teams will ultimately punish us.

Exactly what we were saying… after about 15 mins when we did quite well, Celtic found it very easy to pass round and through our 3 man midfield. It makes them look very exposed, but I think the problem is more the shape than the players. I thought we should have taken off Roberts or Woollery and put on O’Hara at half time… and maybe then taken the other one off and put in Van Veen. 

We’ve seen this in other games and got away with it. Quite annoying today as others have said, because that Celtic defence are there to be got at… as various teams - especially in Europe - have shown.