Motherwell v Celtic 16/10/2021

SteelmaninOZ

15 minutes ago, Well Well said:

This team is still in the making. I have a feeling we will not see Grimmy, O'Hara, Crawford, Donnelly, McGinley, Carroll or Maguire next season.

Were definitely still a working progress,I think were good enough at centre back with some decent options,midfield is poor despite having several players to pick from as there all very much alike,we have decent attacking options when there all in the game but like today and tynecastle,we either need to go with two up top or it has to be changed quickly in game when it isn't working,we can't persist with 433 all the time.like you I'll be surprised if any of those players are with us next season,maybe a couple at a push.

Mcginley is an easy target. 
The imposter is on the other side. 
Again I repeat how many goals is this guy going to / has cost us this season. 
Didn’t put in a tackle all day and allowed cross after cross unchallenged. 
He’s a bottom six player if that. I’ve had enough of the easy target brigade. O’Donnell out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bit surprised at the team selection today. If ever there was a team we were set up to play against this season it is Celtic.

They like to keep possession, push forward but are week at the back, so as a counter attaxking team, today was made for us. 

So dropping KVV for Roberts was a surprise and also OHara for Goss, guven the work rate we needed from the midfield.

That aside, I thought we started strongly and looked good until Collum decided to intervene.

The decision against McGinley for a very good tackle was laughable, but to then compound it moments later by not giving a foul on Slattery in the run up to their goal was incredible.

Yes, we should defend it better after that, but big decisions change games and we go from not getting a foul 30 yards from their goal to being 1-0  down.

We lost our way after that, and it wasnt until well into the 2nd half before we really looked dangerous again. Then enter the officials. Or not as the casr may be!

Its a stonewall penalty.

Yes we have to score it and yes, that would only make it 2-1, but at least then its a game.

Overall, I think we can do much better. We all know our midfield is dysfunctional, and we should defend the first goal better, and despite Turnbulls great strike, I still expect Kelly to get his feet off the ground for the 2nd. I also couldnt believe Kelly never once played the ball over Raltons head for Woollery to run on to, the amount of space there was in behind was ridiculous.

This wont define our season, but its frustrating as hell not to really lay a glove on a team who have so many weaknesses.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

I wouldn't put it quite so bluntly, but yes you're right. In the full backs' defence they have no cover in front of them. McGinley is, for some reason, a target for the boo brigade but O'Donnell is the one making mistakes and costing us the odd goal. He was badly at fault for Celtic's first and left Kelly totally exposed.

The midfield was an absolute shambles, Slattery completely isolated to the point I felt sorry for him. Goss gets a bit of a free pass due to being his 1st start but when are we going to realise that all the effort and running from Grimmy just isn't good enough?

Worst part of the day for me was Motherwell fans clapping a Celtic goal...what in the name of fuck was that all about?

8 hours ago, wunderwell said:

He’s a bottom six player if that. I’ve had enough of the easy target brigade. O’Donnell out. 

O'Donnell made what was probably a goal saving tackle.  Celtic boy was straight through.

55 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The midfield was an absolute shambles, Slattery completely isolated to the point I felt sorry for him. Goss gets a bit of a free pass due to being his 1st start but when are we going to realise that all the effort and running from Grimmy just isn't good enough?

Maybe this is harsh on Grimshaw I think if your major skill set or attribute, in his case 'hard working, gives his all etc' can be equally applied to working in a bakery or an Amazon warehouse as it can to being a footballer then you have a problem.

Football shouldn't be a non skilled profession.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Worst part of the day for me was Motherwell fans clapping a Celtic goal...what in the name of fuck was that all about?

We’ve always had mugs in our support who do this, especially with ex players like Vigurs, Foran etc. it’s absolutely cringeworthy.

However for any Motherwell fan to clap a goal scored against us by Celtic? They should be fucking ashamed of themselves. 

11 hours ago, Well Well said:

Sondre has an achilles injury, although involved in the warm up he will not be near starting until that's cleared up. Also Kelly was playing with a back injury but was preferred over Fox 

Is fox so Bad? I genuinely don't know....Kelly has chucked a few in now , if him and odonnel sort themselves out for first goal , we get the pen, we get a very undeserved draw ...clutching , I know , but these are the fine lines we can pick up Pointon.

30 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

We’ve always had mugs in our support who do this, especially with ex players like Vigurs, Foran etc. it’s absolutely cringeworthy.

However for any Motherwell fan to clap a goal scored against us by Celtic? They should be fucking ashamed of themselves. 

I didn't clap, but it was a touch of class...he's a naturally gifted footballer who brought us in a whack of money, I wouldn't be too down on anyone who did clap. 

Maybe the fact it wasn't the tightest of games and it really just confirmed result led folk to clap.

Take the colours away and we all go to watch exciting football,  hopefully by mfc , but not always.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I didn't clap, but it was a touch of class...he's a naturally gifted footballer who brought us in a whack of money, I wouldn't be too down on anyone who did clap. 

Maybe the fact it wasn't the tightest of games and it really just confirmed result led folk to clap.

Take the colours away and we all go to watch exciting football,  hopefully by mfc , but not always.

I’m not saying people should boo him (and I know some did and I didn’t agree with that either) but I just can’t get on board with applauding opposition players scoring against us. Football isn’t, or shouldn’t be like that.

When you add in that it was for a club who have openly disrespected us over the years (Lennon, Boyd, Rodgers) tried to sign our prize asset (Faddy) on loan with the option to buy at 250k or something derisory like that back in 2003 and who’s supporters call us ‘h**s’ and regularly sing songs glorifying the death of one of our 91 Cup winning team. That just makes it all the worse.

Just watched highlights and I am not sure if it's a foul before 1st goal but jeez o'donnell and Kelly were poor,  o'Donnell totally unaware where Jota was and Kelly  basically telling him where to put it. The Turnbull strike is world class (I certainly didn't applaud it though), as for the handball,  an absolute disgrace from the officials,  onwards and upwards 

We had a great angle of the turnbull goal effectivly cutting inside just infront of us. It was clearly not a hit and hope effort, the fact he seemingly executed something like that at will was top class.

However, he had the freedom of fir park to size it up. While we couldnt do anything about the strike itself, we are at fault for not closing him down and putting pressure on him. Christ, if theres one team in the league that should know what he is capable of, its us.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I’m not saying people should boo him (and I know some did and I didn’t agree with that either) but I just can’t get on board with applauding opposition players scoring against us. Football isn’t, or shouldn’t be like that.

When you add in that it was for a club who have openly disrespected us over the years (Lennon, Boyd, Rodgers) tried to sign our prize asset (Faddy) on loan with the option to buy at 250k or something derisory like that back in 2003 and who’s supporters call us ‘h**s’ and regularly sing songs glorifying the death of one of our 91 Cup winning team. That just makes it all the worse.

believe me, I dont have much time for Celtic...I think it was the quality of the strike and the fact it was dt which might've swayed some 

All supports have a proportion of bans, even ours 

I think they may have more , proportion wise, but I dont know how you could prove this scientifically lol

42 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

And breathe.

3 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Could there have been an element of sarcastic clapping? As our defenders backed off and backed off our fans knew what DT would do, but the defenders seemingly didn't. 

8 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

believe me, I dont have much time for Celtic...I think it was the quality of the strike and the fact it was dt which might've swayed some 

All supports have a proportion of bans, even ours 

I think they may have more , proportion wise, but I dont know how you could prove this scientifically lol

They definitely have more. Have you forgotten a prominent section of their support caused thousands of pounds worth of damage to Fir Park not so long ago? That is but one example.

All in all they are just a horrible, horrible club. They run the Scottish game through manipulation and bullying and have plenty of backing in the media and in politics to help them do so. 

You don’t need science to be able to see this.

• Like 1

I wasn't at the game yesterday but if I was I'd probably have gave Turnbull a polite clap when he was warming up then basically ignored him the rest of the game.

When it comes to a guy that's by all accounts a genuine Motherwell fan, who pretty much singlehandedly made the 18/19 season worth watching, went out of his way to ensure the club got our record transfer fee for him when he could have run his contract down twice,has never publicly badmouthed the club in a situation where lots of other footballers would have and - let's be honest- will most likely be back at Fir Park in ten years once he's made his millions and lost the rest of his pace- I really don't think it's worth getting worked up about.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

The clapping of an excellent goal from the opposition is a nothing story. I'd be more ashamed of the section of our support who chanted that celtic boys club shite multiple times during the match. Disgusting. 

16 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

The clapping of an excellent goal from the opposition is a nothing story. I'd be more ashamed of the section of our support who chanted that celtic boys club shite multiple times during the match. Disgusting. 

I don’t like those chants/chat either. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Celtic but when you resort to that it just cheapens any argument you have against them. 

2 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

after watching highlights, first goal looks worse...think  odonnel will be well out of Scotland picture after that , Kelly possibly too... amateurish to be honest.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if the plan wasn’t to have Zander Clark in the next squad, he and Kelly may alternate as third choice keeper for each squad.