Motherwell v Celtic 16/10/2021

SteelmaninOZ

On 10/16/2021 at 5:06 PM, MJC_mkII said:

As I said after the Hearts game, we are showing signs of improvement this season under GA but while we may be able to get results against the likes of Dundee, Ross County and Livingston, we will always struggle against sides who have any quality about them whatsoever. When you add in us being like rabbits in the headlights like we were today then we have no chance of getting big results.

We will struggle against better sides with quality, because we're a side with limited quality. Surely that's a given? 

If we beat teams like Dundee, Ross County and Livingston we'll be fine, and if we happen to secure results here and there against the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and Aberdeen then we could be pushing for top six.

Thus far this season we've lost to Hibs, Hearts and Celtic in the league. Beaten Livingston away, Dundee, Aberdeen and Ross County at home while drawing away to St Johnstone and Rangers.

If we progressing at this clip we shouldn't have any relegation worries this season, which would be nice, and could be pushing for top six.

2 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

after watching highlights, first goal looks worse...think  odonnel will be well out of Scotland picture after that , Kelly possibly too... amateurish to be honest.

You think so? O'Donnell dropped and when the media ask Clarke about it he'll say something along the lines of "well, remember when he made a pigs ear of the first Celtic goal in that game a month ago? You know the one? I know, he's played four games since then, but still."

2 hours ago, David said:

We will struggle against better sides with quality, because we're a side with limited quality. Surely that's a given? 

If we beat teams like Dundee, Ross County and Livingston we'll be fine, and if we happen to secure results here and there against the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and Aberdeen then we could be pushing for top six.

Thus far this season we've lost to Hibs, Hearts and Celtic in the league. Beaten Livingston away, Dundee, Aberdeen and Ross County at home while drawing away to St Johnstone and Rangers.

If we progressing at this clip we shouldn't have any relegation worries this season, which would be nice, and could be pushing for top six.

You think so? O'Donnell dropped and when the media ask Clarke about it he'll say something along the lines of "well, remember when he made a pigs ear of the first Celtic goal in that game a month ago? You know the one? I know, he's played four games since then, but still."

I am not with you? are you saying mistakes like Saturday aren't important if you've international aspirations?

it's not the first time hes switched off in big games and hes nit fast enough to get away with it..maybe hes the best we've got at Motherwell but scotland wont get away with that 

Alexander was a decent  full back so he will know if hes happy with him.

11 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I am not with you? are you saying mistakes like Saturday aren't important if you've international aspirations?

it's not the first time hes switched off in big games and hes nit fast enough to get away with it..maybe hes the best we've got at Motherwell but scotland wont get away with that 

Alexander was a decent  full back so he will know if hes happy with him.

I'm saying that Clarke will base his choices, including O'Donnell and Kelly, on more than one game against Celtic 4 weeks before our next Scotland game. There's a lot of football to be played before he has to make that choice, and we know he likes to stick with his regulars as best he can. 

1 minute ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Does anybody know about the incident  on Saturday when Mugabe seriously assaulted Turnbull and nearly ended his career ??? ( According to Selik fans on Twitter/ text messages)

Can’t recall it whilst at the match and never saw it on the Sportscene hi-lights

That would be the excellent ball winning challenge that Mugabi had where the referee did not even consider blowing for a foul but unfortunately Turnbull got hurt. 

2 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

That would be the excellent ball winning challenge that Mugabi had where the referee did not even consider blowing for a foul but unfortunately Turnbull got hurt. 

Apparently the challenge was extremely reckless, off the ground  and caught him just below the knee, career ending challenge etc etc ……. And it’s wasn’t on the highlights as the bbc have an agenda against Selik ????

2 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Apparently the challenge was extremely reckless, off the ground  and caught him just below the knee, career ending challenge etc etc ……. And it’s wasn’t on the highlights as the bbc have an agenda against Selik ????

https://twitter.com/annemarie6377/status/1449712120770203651?s=20

23 minutes ago, rinkydink said:

Cheers mate………excellent challenge……cleanly wins the ball……they are that used to getting decisions when 50000 scream…….embarrassed to say the “commentator” was in our cup winning team……absolute fanny!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

after watching highlights, first goal looks worse...think  odonnel will be well out of Scotland picture after that , Kelly possibly too... amateurish to be honest.

O Donnell should be well out of the motherwell picture , never mind Scotland and has yet to impress me.  He is extremely lucky that there is no competition for his place. Someone I know was speaking to him on Saturday night and he laid the blame at the manager.  I would imagine that the club  were hoping that a team would come in for him before the transfer window closed. Unfortunately that didn't happen. Not a grimshaw fan by any means but I prefer him at right back rather than the imposter.

1 hour ago, rinkydink said:

Good catch, rinkydink.

Great interception by Bevis: got the ball cleanly. Far from Turnbull's knee being hurt, I saw him holding his ankle, perhaps because he went over on it a bit. No Celtic players made anything of the tackle, Big Bevis went over to see  what the problem was and the two players shook hands.

What a bunch of delusional whingers their support are,  obsessed  with victimhood.

9 hours ago, David said:

Personal view is we struggle against most teams - including the lower division teams. 
The difference is the better teams have players who can and do hurt us - we allow teams too much space in our final 1/3 and lots of opportunities for them to score.
Against the lesser teams we've been ruthless with the limited chances we've made.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrahamH said:

Are the commentators watching the same tackle? One of them states “he’s not even got the ball”. Whit? Mugabe clearly knocks the ball 6 feet in the air and out for a throw in.

Clear agenda, we got the throw in 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Personal view is we struggle against most teams - including the lower division teams. 
The difference is the better teams have players who can and do hurt us - we allow teams too much space in our final 1/3 and lots of opportunities for them to score.
Against the lesser teams we've been ruthless with the limited chances we've made.

Well, if our current record so far this season is a result of us struggling against most teams, then long may it continue.

For all we have lamented the last 2 performances, Kelly really hasn’t had much to do. Although he has looked a bit dodgy I’m sure he will recover quickly and be one of our standouts again. I think our squad is better than it has been for a couple of years and that Alexander needs to be a bit more savvy/flexible with his tactics or formation/selection. We have players who will fit formations other than 4-3-3 and I’m pretty sure 4-3-3 is not the best choice for every game. Here’s hoping we get back to scoring and winning ways against Utd. 

• 2 weeks later...