Dundee United v Motherwell 23/10/2021

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, smiddy said:

i would give it to tony watt 

I wouldn’t be against that either. Obviously Ojala has captained his country so would be an obvious candidate but I can see the case for Watt.

O’Donnell being captain just won’t do though.

Just now, MJC_mkII said:

I wouldn’t be against that either. Obviously Ojala has captained his country so would be an obvious candidate but I can see the case for Watt.

O’Donnell being captain just won’t do though.

O’Donnell playing won’t do either. Shows how bad it’s become if you’d consider mugabi or worst still grimshaw at right back instead

I like O’Donnell but he really should be contributing more to the team and has been suspect, defensively, the last few games. A few changes needed for the St Mirren game. Hoping for a good display and 3 points since my son will be over in Scotland next week and going to the 2 games. Maybe he’ll bring some luck with him. 

1 minute ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Unfortunately that’s our managers tactics …..zonal defending……..let the crosses in and win the headers

Yes. But the problem is that we don’t win the headers. In that case zonal marking is useless.

• Like 1

What I find surprising is we don't play SOD further up the park. We have no natural right mid or winger. SOD plays well for Scotland in a 3-5-2 shape.

We have several very decent central defenders. Could easily pick 3 from Johanson, Ojala, OConner, Lamie, Mugabi to be the back 3.

create space for SOD to push further up where he adds value + shore up the midfield , which is outnumbered most game. 

Oh man, I should have just went back to bed instead of watching GA gaslighting us in his after match interview. What the fuck? I can take that it may not have been as horrible as I'm making it out, but it wasn't our best first half performance of the season. Jeez.

Just now, Big Wispy Flossy said:

We were decent in 2nd half and thought we were going on to win the game until until mcginleys total brainfart 

I thought that as well. We certainly had the edge at that point until McGinley effd it up. Yes terrible defending from the free kick but we should never have been put in that situation. He has acres of space and time to start counter attack and decides to pull some fancy move 

Really poor stuff losing that game,when we got back level we should have made sure we brought a point back down the road,it's really frustrating losing they games where it's nothing more than fine margins,we don't want that becoming a bad habit.full backs were honking,I'm not a big fan of carroll but atleast he might provide a decent delivery now and again where as mcginley is just woeful,odonnell has been dire all season but the alternative is playing grimshaw there and he shouldn't be in the team as it is.midfield is a complete conundrum,I think no matter who we play in there the problems will remain.the front three just hasn't work,theres no link up or anything,its just three guys playing as individuals.i would go 352 and see where that gets us,it might make us a bit harder to beat and we would be better off with only two strikers on the park.

7 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If GA keeps coming out with his nonsense match assessments he will very quickly lose the fans backing,  he must think we are all thick if he believes that was an excellent performance. Cut out the stubbornness and loyalty to players GA and we might see an improvement 

I'm not a fan of GA, he's hard to listen to in pre/post match interviews - even when we win. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Yes. But the problem is that we don’t win the headers. In that case zonal marking is useless.

Exactly,we need to do away with this zonal defending carry on,I just can't get why any manager would accept the opposition putting balls into the box unopposed,we just don't defend well enough and will lead to disaster more often than not.

Poor stuff today. United were hungrier than us throughout. 
Far too easy for them to play passes in and around our box. Our pressing was too slow all over the pitch, as was our passing - we always wanted an extra touch rather than moving the ball by skipping a man sometimes. 
Some absolutely honking performances, O’Donnell, McGinley, Grimshaw and Goss. The later two as a 3 man midfield will never do - having only 1 of them is enough of a handicap. 
The captain needs dropped and to take a hard look at himself - he’s been shite for most of the season. 
Alexander needs to ask himself why he didn’t change it when we all could see we should be bringing on legs in the middle of the park.

lastly, a shout out to Clancy, a joke of a performance throughout. 

17 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If GA keeps coming out with his nonsense match assessments he will very quickly lose the fans backing,  he must think we are all thick if he believes that was an excellent performance. Cut out the stubbornness and loyalty to players GA and we might see an improvement 

He has no need tae take the pish oot the supporters " I really enjoyed watching ma team today " he's getting worse than SR 

• Thanks 1

Is it really that bad (or surprising) that we lost the last 3 games? Played 2 of the top 3 teams away from home and the other against Celtic who we haven't beat at home for God knows how long? Defeat at home to St Mirren on Weds would deffo start the alarm bells ringing so that really does become a must win.

A lot of fair comments Regarding our play today. Can’t see why the manager thinks we played well. Having said that I am struggling to recall Kelly actually making a save. Of course had he made 2 saves that would have been better but not pinning the blame on him. Similar to the Hearts game, but we just give away soft goals. I thought we had fixed that but the last three games have seen that become our trademark again. Also despite not playing well we see the opposition keeper called on to make some pretty decent saves.  Alexander needs to shore up the defensive part of our game again and sort out the midfield to where we can actually play some football. Up top I think we have enough to get by and score some goals. 

10 minutes ago, gazzetta19 said:

Is it really that bad (or surprising) that we lost the last 3 games? Played 2 of the top 3 teams away from home and the other against Celtic who we haven't beat at home for God knows how long? Defeat at home to St Mirren on Weds would deffo start the alarm bells ringing so that really does become a must win.

For me it’s more the manner of the defeats rather than the fact that we lost the games. Frustrating when you see how little there is between the majority of the teams and we can’t raise our game enough to take advantage. As you say, I think we need to beat St Mirren to pick up 3 points and finish the first round of fixtures in the top 6 which will be a very good achievement. Then we have to pick up more points in the second round than we did in the first round. 

29 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

A lot of fair comments Regarding our play today. Can’t see why the manager thinks we played well. Having said that I am struggling to recall Kelly actually making a save. Of course had he made 2 saves that would have been better but not pinning the blame on him. Similar to the Hearts game, but we just give away soft goals. I thought we had fixed that but the last three games have seen that become our trademark again. Also despite not playing well we see the opposition keeper called on to make some pretty decent saves.  Alexander needs to shore up the defensive part of our game again and sort out the midfield to where we can actually play some football. Up top I think we have enough to get by and score some goals. 

between kelly, o'Donnell and mcginley,  we are going to be the soft touches of the league ... there was some decent lead up play at times but those 3 are shooting us in the foot week after week.

I agree a bit with GA, we had our chances to score a couple of goals but McGinley n SOD were crap, think Carrol deserves a return, surely can’t be any worse than McGinley and maybe Grimmy to RB? 
But why oh why do we persist on short corners Goss to Slattery who then couldn’t hit a Motherwell barn door at 5 yards the whole game? 
Ohara comes on and in 10 minutes has more quality balls to heads than Slattery n Goss had the whole fecking game, predicable fir United not needing to defend one decent corner with KVV standing waiting, and waiting..and waiting, we need a victory on Wednesday, without it we are in free fall, time for your fingers to be pulled out rear arseholes boys!

SOD, McGinley n Goss to the bench for Wednesday for me.