Motherwell v St Mirren 27/10/2021

SteelmaninOZ

This game will be like every other we play against the teams outside of the gruesome twosome and perhaps the Edinburgh two this season, which means it could really go a number of ways. We could stink the joint out in a draw or loss, or we could just as easily come out and put three past them and look amazing. 

We're still very much in the running for top six, which is all we can ask considering Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and probably Hibs have four places sewn up, while Dundee United, Aberdeen, St Mirren and St Johnstone will be competing with us for the last two slots.

The league this season looks to be the most competitive it's been in a while, and I'm enjoying it. The fans are back, we're in the thick of the race for top six, and we've seemingly brought in some decent players this summer rather than the forgettable crap-shoots of recent seasons for the most part. What's not to like? Roll on Wednesday.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GazzyB said:

For the first time since I was about 13 I didn't watch the Dundee Utd game or read the match report. From what I gather we weren't very good though. I watched the highlights and both full backs had a shocker. Let's hope we see Carroll back in for this one. Would like to see us go 3-5-2 as well.

Gonna go for a 2-0 win to us.

we were as good as united on the ball and probably made more chances , their full backs and especially goalie made the difference. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

we were as good as united on the ball and probably made more chances , their full backs and especially goalie made the difference. 

That's quite interesting, I made the mistake of reading the comments section under various social media posts by the club and the general reaction was that we were shocking and Gallagher has to go etc

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

That's quite interesting, I made the mistake of reading the comments section under various social media posts by the club and the general reaction was that we were shocking and Gallagher has to go etc

Gallagher? He’s already gone?

I know you like to get up on your high horse and all sanctimonious on here about other supporters giving (quite often perfectly valid) criticism of the club and certain players but you really should get your facts/players right before posting.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I don’t think we are far away from being a very decent team challenging to be best of the rest. I’m thinking that the frustration is people can see ways of making us better (in their opinion, mine too) with what we already have but the manager is sticking to 4-3-3, selecting certain players, and has the team playing a long ball kind of football. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Gallagher? He’s already gone?

I know you like to get up on your high horse and all sanctimonious on here about other supporters giving (quite often perfectly valid) criticism of the club and certain players but you really should get your facts/players right before posting.

I knew it yer a wannabe school teacher.

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 12:44 PM, yosemite sam said:

It would appear everybody's system causes us problems in the midfield. We don't really play anything through our midfield, we just hump it from back to front and hope it sticks, and if it doesn't we seem incapable of picking up second ball. It would be nice to see a bit more football being played.

Like Ross County?

Like Dundee?

The fact is we don't have the players to play more football.  Never mind succeed playing football.

We need to be pragmatic about it until we have midfielders worthy of the term.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I would rather keep a settled side, it generally pays off in the end. As for tonight’s game I can sadly see another defeat. They players pretty well against Rangers and are on a very decent run. 1-3 St Mirren

Although there's a long way to go, tonight's clash marks the end of the first round of fixtures and will provide us with an indication of where we are at. St Mirren will be a rival for a coveted top six finish. So although tonight won't be a six pointer its important  that we win.  If we lose 3-1 or even lose by a single goal then that will rightly be seen as a very poor result.  You're right of course in that St Mirren will be very tough opponents.

16 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Although there's a long way to go, tonight's clash marks the end of the first round of fixtures and will provide us with an indication of where we are at. St Mirren will be a rival for a coveted top six finish. So although tonight won't be a six pointer its important  that we win.  If we lose 3-1 or even lose by a single goal then that will rightly be seen as a very poor result.  You're right of course in that St Mirren will be very tough opponents.

I could be wrong but I’m sure Sunday was St.Mitten’s first defeat in a good few. They will be a tough opponent, no doubt about that and if the wind and rain keeps up then it will only make things even tougher. 

It will not be a pretty spectacle this evening, that’s for sure. I can see shades of that horrendous midweek double header against St.Mirren from back in February 2020. The 4-4 Cup debacle that we lost on penalties followed by a 1-2 defeat in the league the week later.

13 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I'd go

Kelly
Mugabi SSJ Ojala Carroll

Slattery O'Hara
Goss

Woolery      Watt
Van Veen

Like several others I think we have players more suited to 3-5-2. Don’t think it will change from 4-3-3 though. So I’d go 

kelly

Your back four

justin   Slattery  O’Hara 

woolery. KVV. Watt

Goss has been virtually invisible the 2 games he played. Might come good but for me I wouldn’t pick him as a starter. 

This feels like a meaningful game. Win it and we have had a great start to the season, lose and we are officially on a bad run with tough games before the international break.

I honestly think that just taking Grimshaw and McGinley out the team will cause an improvement on it's own but hopefully the players who do get the starts step up.

If those two are starting Burrows should start planning for a traditional Christmas manager hunt because it means GA has lost the plot. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Alexander name the same team as Saturday as his interviews were mainly positive about that performance. 

Personally I'd like to see Carroll in for McGinley, this season I felt we were getting joy from set pieces and if it were for better finishing Jake would have had more than three assists to his name. 

St Mirren are without star player McGrath which is probably a bonus for us, they like to pack the middle so my concern is if we persist with the 3. They started off well against Rangers the other day but like we have a tendency to do they shot themselves in the foot and conceded two in minutes then went right off the boil. 

Set piece wise they kept giving Goldson freedom of the box at corners and I think it was three headers he won unchallenged, if we can get that type of joy I would fancy us scoring but then again, those short corners we do seem to drive everyone mad. 

I actually fancy us to get a result tonight but it will be tough night no doubt. 2-1 Watt and Van Veen. 

Alexander has dropped lamie a couple of times this season on the back of a decent game,I'll be surprised if mcginley isnt left out tonight and carroll is back in.grimmy needs left out to,i would bring ohara in for him.first goal will be important tonight,if we get it then hopefully we get a result,if not then I think we will struggle to get anything.

11 minutes ago, Kat said:

Personally I'd like to see Carroll in for McGinley, this season I felt we were getting joy from set pieces and if it were for better finishing Jake would have had more than free assists to his name. 

We scored quite a few headers at the start of the season and a lot of that was down to Carroll's delivery from set pieces and crosses.

Since McGinley came in that has completely dried up.  Putting any defensive merits aside (which may or may not exist), McGinley really gives you nothing going forward.

I'd play Carroll over McGinley too.

• Like 1