Motherwell v St Mirren 27/10/2021

SteelmaninOZ

At least there was some excitement in the 2nd half, the 1st half was like pouring Draino in your eyes.

Most of the big talking points in the game I didn't get a great view off so I'll probably wait untilI see the highlights.

Fantastic save right at the end though by Kelly and you'd worry about us if Watt gets injured cos outside the back 4 and goalkeeper he's pretty much the whole rest of the team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StirlingDosser said:

Only one stat matters, but the BBC stats make for grim reading...had St Mirren come away with more than a draw then it would hardly been against the run of it.

image.png.cced70e11e3358a2488d5923ed9ff091.png

Correct, outside the few mins around our goals, we were utter crap. Couldn't pass, midfield that neither defended or attacked, pumping balls up into spaces where we had no one, ending breaks trough midfield with backwards passes and even they were inaccurate.  Absolute dross. If Alexander finds a way to defend that or keeps going with the same shite formation, we'll drop down the league as time goes on as teams realise they can play right through us.

And that sums up life as a well fan , shocking first half,  great start to 2nd album then throw it away.   Kelly makes strikers mind up for first goal and then a softish pen, but he had great saves at end to save us.  Thank god for Tony Watt,   shields had good 2nd half but I am sorry  .....woolery brings hee haw to the team

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StirlingDosser said:

Only one stat matters, but the BBC stats make for grim reading...had St Mirren come away with more than a draw then it would hardly been against the run of it.

Overall we stole a point. But having been up by 2 goals and then the manner In which we last 2 goals it feels like we dropped 2 points. Any way you look at we are not playing very well at all. 

5 minutes ago, StirlingDosser said:

I think these stats need some kind of context.

For instance 23 shots when it's Curtis Main hitting them at that same chair in the south stand that he always did, well, that isn't a big issue.

Most of St Mirren's efforts on goal were comfortable for Kelly.  There was one swerving effort in the first half and the one he made a great save of at the end and that was about it.

I will say thought that while not very good, St Mirren were better than us in possession of the ball.

Our midfield was virtually anonymous as usual.

Hope the two points dropped doesn't come back to haunt us. As others have said, two nil up and twenty minutes to go at home, you should be taking all three points from there.

Hopefully the manager can see that we need to change things or we could find ourselves in the relegation scrap.

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

And that sums up life as a well fan , shocking first half,  great start to 2nd album then throw it away.   Kelly makes strikers mind up for first goal and then a softish pen, but he had great saves at end to save us.  Thank god for Tony Watt,   shields had good 2nd half but I am sorry  .....woolery brings hee haw to the team

Woolery might be a decent enough option off the bench,in games like tonight where it's stretched and come on against a tired full back but as a starter right now it just isn't happening,surely he can't start at the weekend.

9 minutes ago, The African said:
Hope the two points dropped doesn't come back to haunt us. As others have said, two nil up and twenty minutes to go at home, you should be taking all three points from there.
Hopefully the manager can see that we need to change things or we could find ourselves in the relegation scrap.

He can’t see that Grimshaw is or ever was a central midfielder so there is no fuckin chance he will see that we need to change things. Out of his depth I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Looks to me like the right heel is on the line, which is allowed, right?

It was a penalty for me. I don't think Madden was too bad tonight. You've got to remember the lino gave that decision above.

Yeah its only the one foot you need on the line, I believe the rules changed a few years back, I remember seeing VAR in an English game last season where the keepers toe was just on the line.

Not seen the incident back, but it looked like the attacker just ran into Solholm, did he motion to block him off or such? 

I find the inconsistency of Madden infuriating, some of the decisions out with the key moments were mind boggling at times.

• Like 1

Our midfield is pish. We clearly don’t have the players to go with a three man midfield as GA wants to do. Apart from anything else we are just too slow in that area for that to be effective and teams just run over the top of us.

6 minutes ago, mfc said:

Woolery might be a decent enough option off the bench,in games like tonight where it's stretched and come on against a tired full back but as a starter right now it just isn't happening,surely he can't start at the weekend.

Please no,  imo apart from goal at ibrox has brought nothing.   Shields worth a run ,  defo got pace to burn.

1 minute ago, MJC_mkII said:

Our midfield is pish. We clearly don’t have the players to go with a three man midfield as GA wants to do. Apart from anything else we are just too slow in that area for that to be effective and teams just run over the top of us.

Midfield is dire,even in games against dundee and county we were second best,there's no pace or composure in there,everything is all rushed with either possession constantly giving away or the ball is passed back the way.we have far to many midfielders of the same level that offer very little,i quite like the look of slattery at times but feel we won't see more of him until he's got better players beside him.

Just now, grizzlyg said:

Will watch highlights but with pen do you think it would be retaken if it was old firm goalie?....I rest my case

Perhaps the more pertinent question is - "would it have been re-taken if they had scored"? Surey the rules exist for all penalties, not just ones that are missed.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Please no,  imo apart from goal at ibrox has brought nothing.   Shields worth a run ,  defo got pace to burn.

I would rather he wasn't involved at all either grizzly but if we're going to use him I would rather it was from the bench.the forward line much like the midfield are a complete conundrum right now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think these stats need some kind of context.

For instance 23 shots when it's Curtis Main hitting them at that same chair in the south stand that he always did, well, that isn't a big issue.

Most of St Mirren's efforts on goal were comfortable for Kelly.  There was one swerving effort in the first half and the one he made a great save of at the end and that was about it.

I will say thought that while not very good, St Mirren were better than us in possession of the ball.

Our midfield was virtually anonymous as usual.

:yes:Kelly made 3 great saves right at the end 

31 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

From that picture it looks like both feet are off the line, albeit the right foot is close.

So you think the linesman can see clear daylight between the line and Kelly's left foot from that distance and through a post ..feckin no chance a total bullshit decision, and anyone who thinks it was a pen in the 1st place is talking shite running into a defender who never moved an inch and just falling down is not a foul. 

That aside we should have seen the game out so for me 2 points chucked away, but joint 5th after 11 games at least 5 points better off than the same time last season is a very good start so onwards and upwards. 

• Like 1

Utter dugshite you can't compete with no midfield Slattery , Goss & Grimmy easily the worst midfield in the league the three of them have distinct lack of skill and slower than a week in the jail . GA showed he hasn't a clue with his substitutions tonight ,could end up being battered on Sunday after their result tonight 

l

6 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

So you think the linesman can see clear daylight between the line and Kelly's left foot from that distance and through a post

I would hope so, that’s pretty much his only job at that point. And if both his feet were in front of the line, the post wouldn’t be in the way.

2 minutes ago, numpty said:

I would hope so, that’s pretty much his only job at that point. And if both his feet were in front of the line, the post wouldn’t be in the way.

So you think the lino was 100% certain both Kelly's feet were off the line from that distance, so a retake was correct, ...okay then.

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

So you think the linesman can see clear daylight between the line and Kelly's left foot from that distance and through a post ..feckin no chance a total bullshit decision, and anyone who thinks it was a pen in the 1st place is talking shite running into a defender who never moved an inch and just falling down is not a foul. 

That aside we should have seen the game out so for me 2 points chucked away, but joint 5th after 11 games at least 5 points better off than the same time last season is a very good start so onwards and upwards. 

Spot on,it was never a penalty to start with,sondre stood his ground and the st mirren player ran into him doing a dying swan routine,it was pathetic that madden fell for that.as for the retaking penalty,how many times do goalies get pulled up for being slightly off the line,hardly ever,even at the recent euros there was keepers that got away with it that were further off there line than kelly was.itll be interesting next time there's a saved penalty where that clown of a linesman is involved to see what he does.