Motherwell v St Mirren 27/10/2021

SteelmaninOZ

What can you say about yet another brutal performance. We are by far the worst team in the league to watch. Every other team appears to be technically better on the ball and better at moving off the ball. Our brand of football is awful to watch. We are outplayed every week. It is a small miracle that we have the points that we do so far. I long for a game where we dominate possession and look like a well drilled, capable team.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

So you think the lino was 100% certain both Kelly's feet were off the line from that distance, so a retake was correct, ...okay then.

He also has to be sure that happens before the ball moves. The earlier picture I think the ball is already moving.  All academic now  but really annoying that it’s very close either way and is not usually enforced unlesss it’s blatant. 

Not sure what has happened but after our first game against Hibs I was looking forward to enjoying us play some football this season. That was by far our most entertaining display of the season but it’s been all downhill from there with respect to enjoyable viewing. Having said that we are in 6th place so quite happy with that. The big worry is that based on our recent displays we may tumble towards the bottom. Remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

Surely we have to start playing four in midfield. As almost everyone has said, our current three are collectively not good enough, and / or the strikers are not working hard enough when we haven’t got the ball, to support the midfielders and make it harder for every opposition midfield to pass it round and through them. 

I’d have O’Hara in for Woolery, which would also make delivery from set pieces generally better. I’d also possibly put KVV in for Shields (although I don’t think KVV is moving as well as he would be if he was 100% fit). I think Grimshaw is fine, if all he has to do is keep things simple, be energetic, close the opposition down, and play short passes to the nearest guy with a claret and amber jersey on. I also think McGinley is fine, as long as he’s given more protection from midfield than he got against Celtic, for example. Carroll is better going forward, McGinley is a better defender.

In short, I think an extra man in midfield would solve a lot of issues in itself, even before you need to get into debates about who should be in the starting XI. 

And I really hope Ojala went off as a precaution, as he’s been looking very solid. 

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Just watched highlights,  buddies pen a farce, never a pen and Kelly has foot on line.....well done brother madden 

Agreed, that penalty decision is laughable. Then the following events, looks like Kelly's right foot is still on the line after ball is struck. 

Never noticed at the time, but Solholm was unlucky not to get a pen of his own as he was wrestled to the ground by Fraser. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steelman1991 said:

Perhaps the more pertinent question is - "would it have been re-taken if they had scored"? Surey the rules exist for all penalties, not just ones that are missed.

No, why would the team who scored be penalised because the goalkeeper broke the rules? It is only retaken if the goalkeeper saves it as he is deemed to have gained an advantage by stepping off the line early.

33 minutes ago, MFCL84 said:

What can you say about yet another brutal performance. We are by far the worst team in the league to watch. Every other team appears to be technically better on the ball and better at moving off the ball. Our brand of football is awful to watch. We are outplayed every week. It is a small miracle that we have the points that we do so far. I long for a game where we dominate possession and look like a well drilled, capable team.

*This* Exactly! Got the fear for high noon on Sunday.

7 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

No, why would the team who scored be penalised because the goalkeeper broke the rules? It is only retaken if the goalkeeper saves it as he is deemed to have gained an advantage by stepping off the line early.

Getting flashbacks of Flamurtari away when Sutton scored from the spot but keeper was well off the line and he missed the retake. Great home leg mind you. 

Thought the St Mirren penalty was soft at the time and having seen the highlights has only confirmed that.

Penalty retake is just nonsense.

Then on top of that we should have had a 2nd penalty.

So that's THREE penalty decisions the officials have got wrong.

Don't care how bad we've played the officials need to get game changing decisions correct and they have failed, 1, 2 , 3 times tonight.

Also not the first time we've suffered from terrible decision making at penalty claims this season.  You could make a pretty long list 11 matches into the season.

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Looks to me like the right heel is on the line, which is allowed, right?

It was a penalty for me. I don't think Madden was too bad tonight. You've got to remember the lino gave that decision above.

watching highlights theres a pen in first half we never got, i really dont think theres is a pen, hes run into well player and hoped for contact. 

59 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Thought the St Mirren penalty was soft at the time and having seen the highlights has only confirmed that.

Penalty retake is just nonsense.

Then on top of that we should have had a 2nd penalty.

So that's THREE penalty decisions the officials have got wrong.

Don't care how bad we've played the officials need to get game changing decisions correct and they have failed, 1, 2 , 3 times tonight.

Also not the first time we've suffered from terrible decision making at penalty claims this season.  You could make a pretty long list 11 matches into the season.

Make that 4 wrong decisions - well ones that had a major affect on the game. McAllister’s tackle on McGinley deserved a red card, not a yellow.