Motherwell v St Mirren 27/10/2021

SteelmaninOZ

The first penalty. What a truly horrific decision...

https://gyazo.com/21b20d02775de1526c6e1dc2fa389166

And the second penalty. The St Mirren player 2 yards inside the D as the ball is struck. You're supposed to have no players in the box or the D right? So the 2nd penalty should have been retaken due to infringement?

https://gyazo.com/77e16ba386e412128b0c53960317dcb5

Horrific officiating.

Having said that, we only have ourselves to blame. The casual trot back from Mugabi whilst lazily waving an arm at the linesman in the hope of offside at the first goal is absolutely disgraceful. I would not like to be him when Alexander and the team watch the game back.

19 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

The first penalty. What a truly horrific decision...

https://gyazo.com/21b20d02775de1526c6e1dc2fa389166

And the second penalty. The St Mirren player 2 yards inside the D as the ball is struck. You're supposed to have no players in the box or the D right? So the 2nd penalty should have been retaken due to infringement?

https://gyazo.com/77e16ba386e412128b0c53960317dcb5

Horrific officiating.

Having said that, we only have ourselves to blame. The casual trot back from Mugabi whilst lazily waving an arm at the linesman in the hope of offside at the first goal is absolutely disgraceful. I would not like to be him when Alexander and the team watch the game back.

I wonder if the linesman even knows he only needs 1 foot on the line. Terrible call. 

No, why would the team who scored be penalised because the goalkeeper broke the rules? It is only retaken if the goalkeeper saves it as he is deemed to have gained an advantage by stepping off the line early.

I know I wasn’t at my logical best last night. Spock out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png I know I wasn’t at my logical best last night. Spock out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the actual rules are out the window now anyway. Whatever penalises Motherwell seems to be the way things are interpreted at the moment.

9 hours ago, MFCL84 said:

What can you say about yet another brutal performance. We are by far the worst team in the league to watch. Every other team appears to be technically better on the ball and better at moving off the ball. Our brand of football is awful to watch. We are outplayed every week. It is a small miracle that we have the points that we do so far. I long for a game where we dominate possession and look like a well drilled, capable team.

Completely with you .

Including pre season we’ve been dominated by most teams - thankfully we have a few class acts who stick the ball in the net and we’ve ridden our luck to get points on the board .

allowing teams to dominate possession and have 10+ shots on our goal isn’t a long term strategy .

I credit GA with brining in some decent quality but his match play a bloody awful to watch 

9 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Don’t agree with the general consensus that shields should be a better option than wollery. Thought shields was terrible to be honest. Doesn’t look anywhere near our standard. Jury certainly out on wollery in that respect too.

Thought he looked better in second half, got pace for sure, needed to be more involved. Obviously taking time to adjust to step up.

8 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

VAR would have sorted a lot of  incidents in the box.

get it in pronto SFA SPFL

Would it though? As someone else stated , do the officials know the rules? Including last night and ibrox offside goal, these aren't close calls,so it must be they don't understand the rules.We could theoretically be 4 points better off. 

Just for balance, our pen on Saturday was dubious too.

I agree with other posters though, we aren't good to watch

31 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Completely with you .

Including pre season we’ve been dominated by most teams - thankfully we have a few class acts who stick the ball in the net and we’ve ridden our luck to get points on the board .

allowing teams to dominate possession and have 10+ shots on our goal isn’t a long term strategy .

I credit GA with brining in some decent quality but his match play a bloody awful to watch 

Agreed,I really don't get the way we're trying to play,we let teams dominate the ball but yet in turn there's no urgency to press the ball,stop crosses coming in and shots from distance,it's like we're happy to just wait for the opposition to make a mess of it to get possession of the ball.i could get sitting off teams to a point if we broke quickly and had players that hurt the opposition when we had the ball but we have guys like grimshaw who's only thought is to slow it down and pass it backwards most of the time.

1 minute ago, yosemite sam said:

Poor Grimshaw. Of the three midfield players on show last night, he was most certainly not the worst. When did the other two get involved in the game. Corners, throw ins, other than that they were anonymous .

Agree with this.

Grimshaw looked much better in the middle and was able to just keep it simple.

He can be infuriating though. His little pirouette and pass to the left in the lead up to the first goal when Woollery had bust a gut to give him an easy pass to the right, had me off my seat.

However, he is clearly a football visionary who could just see the play opening up in front of him 5 moves ahead and made the correct decision! :P

8 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Terrible refereeing, are they held to account at all? VAR can still fuck off though.

The result was probably fair, on the balance of play, but it's not up to the officials to even these things out.

Exactly. Referee's are making up the result.

Within about 5 seconds of kick off Madden blew for a nothing foul.  

One of those guys where it's ALL about him.  

16 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

Poor Grimshaw. Of the three midfield players on show last night, he was most certainly not the worst. When did the other two get involved in the game. Corners, throw ins, other than that they were anonymous .

Goss did put in a great cross for the goal.

Didn't do anything else right enough but at least it was important.  

I kind of alluded to it last night but when we were bringing the ball out from the back it was always Tony Watt that was showing for the ball.  Not one of the midfielders.  I wouldn't be surprised if our midfield in the first half had a record low number of touches.

11 hours ago, MFCL84 said:

What can you say about yet another brutal performance. We are by far the worst team in the league to watch. Every other team appears to be technically better on the ball and better at moving off the ball. Our brand of football is awful to watch. We are outplayed every week. It is a small miracle that we have the points that we do so far. I long for a game where we dominate possession and look like a well drilled, capable team.

Don't you find it amazing that of the 11 technically superior teams the majority are behind us in the league? Insane, isn't it? 

We may be the worst team in the league to watch (we're actually not though), technically inept (not really), and outplayed every week (nope), but we're currently in the top six, have a better goal difference than every team below us, and have won more games.

Basically, we're not here by some "small miracle," we are where we are on merit. We've hit a rough patch, as most teams in the league will at various points, but we'll pull through it and will be challenging for top six this season. 

I think we could be best described as a ‘workmanlike’ side who are awful to watch. 

The problem is that while we have workmanlike players in the middle like Slattery, like O’Hara, even Grimshaw, we have no one to balance that out with a bit of flair or footballing quality. Any one of those three would be a lot more effective if we had a Turnbull (obviously an extreme example, granted) or a (January - April 2019) Hastie in the side to offer something a bit different. 

At the back, and I’ve said it for a while, but we need to get O’Donnell out of that team and get that captains armband off him. He is an absolute imposter in our colours and costs us more often than not.

14 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I think we could be best described as a ‘workmanlike’ side who are awful to watch. 

The problem is that while we have workmanlike players in the middle like Slattery, like O’Hara, even Grimshaw, we have no one to balance that out with a bit of flair or footballing quality. Any one of those three would be a lot more effective if we had a Turnbull (obviously an extreme example, granted) or a (January - April 2019) Hastie in the side to offer something a bit different. 

At the back, and I’ve said it for a while, but we need to get O’Donnell out of that team and get that captains armband off him. He is an absolute imposter in our colours and costs us more often than not.

19 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I was slated when I said he was never a Captain when he was awarded it but so many harped on about him being an 'International' player. Complete bollocks. he hides in almost every game. Never a leader

• Like 1

A lot of whinging and moaning here and also last night in east stand. The 1st goal big moans at grimmy for not passing right but there was more room on left and so it proved. Moaning at odonnell for not passing forward when he kept the ball but not a lot of cheers for him when he was main instigator in pass to watt to move into box for penalty and also last 5 mins he ran full length of park nearly twice to try and get something .  Some of our fans calling our players useless at game is pure pish patter imo and can only dent their confidence. Yes I am not convinced with Alexanders football either but We need to always support the team. I cannot understand doing something that will certainly have a negative effect on team during the match. Alexander has been successful earlier in season defending leads by bringing on defenders but last night brought on ohara for 4 in midfield then they get a goal and whole momentum changes. Maybe bringing carroll on at that point for 352 as done later would have worked as has done before. We are 5th equal in league with won some games we were lucky in and lost and drew some that we could have got more from and after the debacle of league cup where I did fear for us in league this season as we were abysmal 1st round of games can be viewed as being ok and certainly better than most of us thought in August. Van veen and roberts not getting on last night i think was telling unless they cant play 2 in a week and keeping them for sunday but i think alexander is maybe a bit let down buy their lack of application. Shields looks busy enough but other than run by power and chip into box his hold up play and other stuff was wee bit lacking in quality and can only be expected as he has took a big jump in quality. 

• Like 3

Have kept my council for a while on the manager and his style of play but after the last two games I’ve seen  OMG . 
Honestly it’s been eye bleeding . The game last night was worse than bad it was embarrassing . 
If fact every game we’ve played this season at home we’ve been outplayed with the exception of Hibs .

There is no way we can keep playing 4-3-3.
Watching us getting overrun in midfield is terrible on the eye (30-40%) pocession in home games v Dundee ,Ross Co and now St Mirren .

He needs to stop this stubbornness and swallow his pride . He says pocession doesn’t win you games but it does provide entertainment which surely we want to see . 

It’s so blindingly obvious to go 3-5-2 and the crazy thing is we have the players to do it.

If he perseveres with this they’ll be no fans left to watch that rubbish by the end of the season . It truly has been an awful watch to date.

So please please please

1. give us some entertainment . That’s why I bought a season ticket. We want to see some decent football not hoofball 

2.Stop repeating the same mistakes. When things are not working ….. change it

3. Alan if you read this you are watching the same as me and all the other fans that were there last night . 

To summarise I’m really disappointed in Alexander to date . 
His press conferences are brutal and his post match interviews are dillusional.

Trying to bullshit the fans will only lead to one thing . So cut the crap and excuses Alexander . Start walking the walk not talking the talk

• Like 1

Its the age old connundrum isnt it?

Would you rather be a Ross County fan right now, who certainly on the evidence of their game against us, knock it about nicely and  are reasonably entertaining to watch, yet took 11 games to get their first win.

Or be in our position. Sitting comfortably mid table, but for the most part can best be described as playing dull but effective football.

Id pick the latter every time. My problem is that it shouldnt have to be either / or. It should be possible to strike a balance.

Id accept it if it was just Alexanders way of getting the most out of someone elses players in order to ensure we stay in the league. But he has now had the opportunity to get shot of those he doesnt want and get in those that he feels fits with his style of play. So he is effectively choosing to play this way.

Now, it might be that one window isnt enough to complete the picture and we might still be a work in progress, but it would be nice to hear some acknowledgement of that and hope for a brighter future so we know this isnt as good as its gonna get under him.

I still like lots about GA and I think there are decent players in our squad, but the entertainment on show has to improve.  There were glimpses of it 2nd half last night.  But we need more control of the ball to see that develop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Its the age old connundrum isnt it?

Would you rather be a Ross County fan right now, who certainly on the evidence of their game against us, knock it about nicely and  are reasonably entertaining to watch, yet took 11 games to get their first win.

Or be in our position. Sitting comfortably mid table, but for the most part can best be described as playing dull but effective football.

Id pick the latter every time. My problem is that it shouldnt have to be either / or. It should be possible to strike a balance.

Spot on. We barely deserved a point last night. St Mirren, with a budget broadly similar to ours I'd guess, looked far quicker, determined, and harder working. They were also better organised. No world beaters though. When we were in possesion, irrespective of where we were on the pitch they hassled, harried and closed us down. By comparison we gave them the freedom of Fir Park.  Again our 2 full backs looked poor with McGinley slightly the better.  Not sure about Mugabi last though - he looked all at sea at St Mirren's first goal.  As others have said, our midfield was rank. Its a case of Slattery plus 2 others (Goss, Grimshaw, O'Hara and Maguire) - take your pick. We badly need 2 new midfielders. Up front I felt sorry for Shields. He chased his heart out all night but was left isolated for much of the time with no support.  I understand why we play the long high ball but we don't have the players for it. 

I didn't understand the substitutions at all and they made little impression when they came on. We weren't defending well enough to sit back and took off Woolery who provided an out ball.   Had the game gone on another 10 minutes we would have conceded again.  

A disappointing result and performance.

14 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I don't think Madden was too bad tonight. You've got to remember the lino gave that decision above.

I think Madden and the POD side lineman deserved a post all to themselves. Totally inconsistent and error strewn. Unfortunately their incompetence had a major influence on the outcome of the game. A number of errors:

* For someone seemingly obsessed with rules, he let off a St Mirren player for booting the ball 40 yards away after play was stopped. If refs aren't going to penalise this indiscretion then its time rules were changed to allow it. 

* Sean Goss was rightly carded for hauling back an opponent who was breaking.  The exact same thing happened to Slattery earlier but no card was produced.

* MacAllister put in a shocking 2 footed challenge on MacGinley right in front of us and near to the linesman. A straight red? No, but then again his name wasn't Carroll. 

* No penalty for Solholm being wrestled to the ground?

Now to the 2 game changing mistakes. It was never a penalty as Solholm had nowhere to go and Brophy ran into him looking for a award. As for the retake? Why suddenly penalise that now? It happens week after week with no action taken. In any event TV evidence shows that Kelly had his right foot on the line. You have to question the linesman here. Did he have a clear uninterrupted view from about 30 yards away? Unless he misunderstood the rules he must have known the distances involved were minimal and certainly not beyond resonable doubt. I don't understand though how he could have watched Kelly's positioning clearly with one eye whilst at precisely the same time watching the exact moment that Brophy took his spot kick with his other eye. Has he got monocular vision that allows him to focus both eyes independently of each other?

Thats now about 5 games on the trot in which match officials have made wrong, serious, game changing decisions against us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think Madden and the POD side lineman deserved a post all to themselves. Totally inconsistent and error strewn. Unfortunately their incompetence had a major influence on the outcome of the game. A number of errors:

* For someone seemingly obsessed with rules, he let off a St Mirren player for booting the ball 40 yards away after play was stopped. If refs aren't going to penalise this indiscretion then its time rules were changed to allow it. 

* Sean Goss was rightly carded for hauling back an opponent who was breaking.  The exact same thing happened to Slattery earlier but no card was produced.

* MacAllister put in a shocking 2 footed challenge on MacGinley right in front of us and near to the linesman. A straight red? No, but then again his name wasn't Carroll. 

* No penalty for Solholm being wrestled to the ground?

Now to the 2 game changing mistakes. It was never a penalty as Solholm had nowhere to go and Brophy ran into him looking for a award. As for the retake? Why suddenly penalise that now? It happens week after week with no action taken. In any event TV evidence shows that Kelly had his right foot on the line. You have to question the linesman here. Did he have a clear uninterrupted view from about 30 yards away? Unless he misunderstood the rules he must have known the distances involved were minimal and certainly not beyond resonable doubt. I don't understand though how he could have watched Kelly's positioning clearly with one eye whilst at precisely the same time watching the exact moment that Brophy took his spot kick with his other eye. Has he got monocular vision that allows him to focus both eyes independently of each other?

Thats now about 5 games on the trot in which match officials have made wrong, serious, game changing decisions against us.

I saw mcginley giving linesman stick at first goal...I dont know if it was offside or not

was linesman trying to be an arse with us because that was a incredibly petty call to retake especially when a very soft call in first place

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

You have to question the linesman here. Did he have a clear uninterrupted view from about 30 yards away?

I mean, he should have. He's actually positioned about 18 yards away, at the junction of the goal-line and the penalty area. From there, if he can see all of both of the keeper's feet it's an infringement, and if he can't see either foot because of the post, it's fine. But as you say, expecting him or anyone else to be looking at that while sensing the exact moment the ball is kicked is going to be error-prone at best, just as it is when making offside calls.

.354106881_FB_IMG_1635368884169.thumb.jpg.e82db6f72c0cee8c74a45f71662f1ef7copy.jpg.b23d52640740ce1923d6702d2064f1c8.jpg