Motherwell v Rangers 31/10/2021

SteelmaninOZ

The score line alone makes that one of our worst ever defeats to Rangers but the context of the game is actually even worse.

Take the lead, have a great chance to make it 2-0 and miss it.

Then we only have 5 minutes to defend well and go in at HT 1-0 and what do we do? We leave Rangers most dangerous player completely free to score and assist a goal.  The first goal in particular I didn't see any reason why McGinley isn't right on Tavernier but he isn't even looking the right way never mind getting touch tight.  McGinley is watching the game instead of doing his job.  Might as well come up into the stand and have a seat.

So we completely blow a lead with a couple of minutes of madness and then O'Donnell, just bails out and gets sent off.  Idiotic. Pathetic. Garbage.  He just wanted off and that was his excuse to get out of there.  What a captain.  Both our full backs today were absolutely atrocious.

After that the collapse was inevitable.  I left at 5 and there has only been a handful of games that I've left before the final whistle and that was one of them.

Full backs and midfield are not fit for purpose.  Could be a long, long wait for the next transfer window because we barely have a player than can place a simple pass.  That break forward when O'Hara burst up the field absolutely begging to be played in and I think it was Slattery couldn't make the simple pass, that's our season in a nutshell.

No doubt Alexander will get a battering today but if you ask me he's worked wonders with a very low standard of player.  It's our transfer policy that needs a kick up the backside because the quality of player we've had at this club for far too long just isn't good enough.

If you exclude the brief Turnbull renaissance, where we actually had an exceptional player in the heart of the team, we've basic had a squad of players that can't do basics for about 4 seasons.  Go and look at Barraclough's relegation play off team and it looks like a world XI in terms of ability compared with what we've watched since.

5 minutes ago, mfc said:

Alexander is dropping his players in it before a ball is even kicked,his tactics and choice of formation are doing us no favours.

Thing is Alexander joined us with what some were stating were the worst set of players the club had ever had and he turned it around. I believe this group are stronger but he needs to change things. The formation is a disaster, the tactic of giving away possession not working, and the football is awful. I do however think that on the whole he’s brought in better quality players, he now needs to work out how to get the best out of them.

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Stephen O'Donnell is a disgrace. He does not want to be here.

He's a liability,get the captain's arm band off him and try and get shot of him in January.he doesn't look interested and then we have mcginley on the other side that couldn't spell football.

1 minute ago, mfc said:

He's a liability,get the captain's arm band off him and try and get shot of him in January.he doesn't look interested and then we have mcginley on the other side that couldn't spell football.

The 2 worst fullbacks in the league by a mile.

McGinley looks exactly what he is a jobbing centre half trying to play fullback 

Shocking but totally predictable…..another humiliating defeat…..and more often than not on live TV.  As usual we hand the opposition the launchpad to: boost their confidence/morale; improve their goal difference; hand hatricks to strikers firing blanks; ignite the media circus that follows the two ugly sisters……I could go on! Totally scunnered. Certainly wish I had stayed in bed!

Was sceptical of Alexander before this week, despite his record being good on paper. Now I’m finished with him, constantly picks the wrong team i.e all of Carroll, Donnelly and Van Veen would improve that first 11. Leaving us outnumbered in midfield every game, not stopping crosses, allowing teams all the space they want until they get in the box, short corners, long throws, everyone back at corners etc etc 

6 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Thing is Alexander joined us with what some were stating were the worst set of players the club had ever had and he turned it around. I believe this group are stronger but he needs to change things. The formation is a disaster, the tactic of giving away possession not working, and the football is awful. I do however think that on the whole he’s brought in better quality players, he now needs to work out how to get the best out of them.

yorky pal       send me some of your medication please, it clearly chilling you out 

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

I agree with this, we have a better quality of player than last year (although we don't have a working mid like Campbell) but Alexander's dogmatic approach to formation and surrendering of possession and only defending inside the penalty area is sheer madness. Players like KVV , Watt and Roberts will score goals if you deliver them the ball in areas they can score from, not when they get it on the half way line or out on the touchline, that's not where a centre forward should be.  Starting every week with a heavily outnumbered midfield is also madness. If Alexander thinks he can mould these players to do what he seems to want to do is fantasy. 

This is not a reaction to this game, it's more a reaction to the last few, where teams like St Midden have played us off the park. Even the games we won this season, we've been out played for long periods in them and scored one or two on the break. 

Alexander took over one of the worst Motherwell squads in my lifetime, we’ve slightly improved and got a better squad but he needs to continue the turnover of players in January.

McGinley needs replaced and ideally someone has to come in for S.O.D, even if it’s pushing Mugabi out on the right.

Tactics need to change, no point in having 3 attackers if we’re being completely overrun in the midfield.

• Like 1

Just now, Robbos boy said:

Ridiculous comment, This guy plays international football in a set up where he can overlap and others sit in and cover. In this teams system if he goes forward, know one has the brains or  tactical nous to take that step back and cover. Is it down to managers set up, probably. If both fullbacks just stayed put every week they would get pelters. Stop this constant bleating on about our full backs. So who would play next week, Grimmy the headless chicken or Bevis, god help us. First and foremost we have got to get a set up where wee are not overran in midfield, be that 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.

The last game we played anything Mugabi was right back and O'Donnell was injured. BTW Mugabi has been our best player over the last few games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfc said:

why did ga pat him on head on way off?

his first booking was because his touch is so bad, his second was just lazy, other players look at him and say that's the captain and hes played for scotland ffs...reserve right back must be scratching his head.

5 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I do think he has brought some better players in,guys like sondre,ojala and slattery I like,theres still a few we need to get rid off before I'm sure we can look at improving the quality some more.todays game has to be the last that we see of 433,I never want to see a motherwell manager fail but if he goes to pittodrie and it's the same thing all over again then I'll really think he doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

5 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Ridiculous comment, This guy plays international football in a set up where he can overlap and others sit in and cover. In this teams system if he goes forward, know one has the brains or  tactical nous to take that step back and cover. Is it down to managers set up, probably. If both fullbacks just stayed put every week they would get pelters. Stop this constant bleating on about our full backs. So who would play next week, Grimmy the headless chicken or Bevis, god help us. First and foremost we have got to get a set up where wee are not overran in midfield, be that 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.

We've won 4 games this season and O'Donnell missed 3 of them.

Coincidence?

EDIT - Oh and Mugabi was right back for all of them. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

why did ga pat him on head on way off?

his first booking was because his touch is so bad, his second was just lazy, other players look at him and say that's the captain and hes played for scotland ffs...reserve right back must be scratching his head.

He should be getting roasted not getting a pat on the head, O'Donnell is the captain and should be the one setting the example,he looks to me that he doesn't want to be here.

5 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We've won 4 games this season and O'Donnell missed 3 of them.

Coincidence?

Totally agree. Mugabi is far from perfect but has actually turned in a couple of decent performances at right back. Also offers a bit more aerial cover. Hopefully Ojala is fit to play next week. Either way I would play Mugabi at right back. 

Also Carroll has to come in for McGinley. He is not the answer in many ways but offers a little more threat from set pieces and going forward. And since McGinley cannot defend what would we be losing. 

Also I would try 4-4-2 or 4-5-1. But we know that is as likely as McGinley defensive masterclass. 

Alexander is running out of plus points. Probably get SFA at Pittodrie but a better performance would be a start. 

I blame Alexander 100%.

It is total anti football . 3 strikers picking up scraps and high balls launched from Kelly .

Midfield overrun every game this season because to many strikers on doing nothing .

Allowing teams to cross balls into our box . What training manual did that come from .

Finally his interviews summing up of games is dillusional . 

Right now we’re are a terrible watch .

Burrows get him out now he’s a total clown of a manager and will get us relegated . 
Get your big boys pants on get him to …. and bring in a decent manager. 
Alan I’d like to ask you this . Do you seriously think this is acceptable for a Motherwell team to play like this . 
Entertainment value is Zero .

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

First 5 matches of the season we conceded 5 goals with (mostly) Mugabi at right back and Carroll at left back.

Last 5 matches of the season we conceded 14 goals with O'Donnell at right back and McGinley at left back.

What changed?

The opposition?

Motherwell manager Graham Alexander: "For 42 minutes the game went how we wanted to. We defended our half really well, had chances to score and did score. But the two goals just before half time. The first one was a world class finish. When they score from those sort of angles your hold your hands up.

"We're all very disappointed to say the least. There's a long way to go this season, we've done some good things, we have to learn what we can from that spell when the result was in the balance."

When you lose 6-1, talking about the result being 'in the balance' is not advisable.