GazzyB

VAR in Scottish Football

I am broadly in favour of anything to help officials get the correct decision. Having said that, the examples of video officiating and technology aiding umpires/ referees tend to suggest that they don't do away with controversial decisions, they simply change the dynamic of the game. As an example I would say that when VAR was brought into the Bundesliga, I was surprised by the number of soft penalties that were given. Also, the existence of the TMO in rugby still hasn't stopped a fair few awful decisions. Tries given when players are obviously and visibly in touch have still happened. The human element is still there and, as such, mistakes will still be made.

11 hours ago, The African said:

I am broadly in favour of anything to help officials get the correct decision. Having said that, the examples of video officiating and technology aiding umpires/ referees tend to suggest that they don't do away with controversial decisions, they simply change the dynamic of the game. As an example I would say that when VAR was brought into the Bundesliga, I was surprised by the number of soft penalties that were given. Also, the existence of the TMO in rugby still hasn't stopped a fair few awful decisions. Tries given when players are obviously and visibly in touch have still happened. The human element is still there and, as such, mistakes will still be made.

So Rangers and Celtic will still get awarded dodgy penalties/offside goals etc

The most likely effect for us is it that will give referees even more reason to give the Old Firm the benefit of the doubt with the mental excuse that VAR will sort anything too blatant. And even within the decisions themselves it will just be another area where they get preferential treatment.

I also doubt that the clubs will spend the money required to do it properly by paying to have more and higher quality cameras at the games. The decision for the Hearts goal on Wednesday would have been reviewed by VAR but the pictures available were shite so it wouldn't make any difference anyway.

I don't like VAR at all, but I know it is inevitable that we're going to end up with it. What is also inevitable is that Scottish Football will find a way to make an absolute shit show of it, since the officials managing VAR are the same ones who are hopeless on the pitch.

I also agree with the above, this will lead to even more decisions going the way of the Glasgow two.

I like the way it's implemented in cricket, and baseball to a lesser extent, where challenges can be made, and you lose your challenge if you're wrong, but is suits those games because they have frequent breaks in play anyway.

29 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The most likely effect for us is it that will give referees even more reason to give the Old Firm the benefit of the doubt with the mental excuse that VAR will sort anything too blatant. And even within the decisions themselves it will just be another area where they get preferential treatment.

I also doubt that the clubs will spend the money required to do it properly by paying to have more and higher quality cameras at the games. The decision for the Hearts goal on Wednesday would have been reviewed by VAR but the pictures available were shite so it wouldn't make any difference anyway.

As I said the last time this topic came up on here, VAR would cause more problems than it would solve in Scottish football.

I wouldn’t trust those running the game one inch to get the proper equipment and the right people in place to actually make it effective. And you’d still have the silly wee boys chat about how the VAR refs are cheats and will favour the Old Firm etc. 

I like the idea of getting the bad calls corrected but dislike the break  up of the flow of the game waiting on var to confirm or deny a call.

Dont celebate a goal til var says its a goal wastes things a bit for me.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

The most likely effect for us is it that will give referees even more reason to give the Old Firm the benefit of the doubt

That's my feeling too. If Collum is in the video booth instead of on the pitch, he's going to have even more opportunity to give bad decisions against us.

• Like 1

I'm against VAR but I'm under no illusion that eventually it will be adopted.

I have absolutely no faith in it to make the game fairer.  Just look at English football where it's pretty much been a farce and no doubt we'll make an even bigger hash of it.

At the end of the day it still comes down good officiating and we don't have the officials.  VAR will simply make bad and controversial decisions even worse than they are already.