VAR in Scottish Football

GazzyB

10 minutes ago, numpty said:

This is what the new(er) guidelines described in the article I posted above is pretty much all about... less confusing lines, and more benefit of doubt to the attacker.

Unfortunately, "benefit of the doubt" is given by the officials rather than VAR. VAR just gives them pictures to make poor decisions.

25 minutes ago, numpty said:

This is what the new(er) guidelines described in the article I posted above is pretty much all about... less confusing lines, and more benefit of doubt to the attacker. Rangers / Celtic

Fixed it for you. :help:

57 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Can you imagine the media uproar and days of endless scrutiny over every VAR decision that goes against the uglies, especially if its a controversial one, it will be entertaining.

I'm looking forward to it, it'll be hilarious.

What I'm not expecting is (insert name of diddy club here) getting any 50/50 decisions against either arse cheek after a VAR review.

Paranoid or realistic, you decide :dontknow:

1 hour ago, Al B said:

One thing I hadn't realised until recently (I don't watch any football on TV), is that every single goal gets checked.

The old, "kill the spontaneous goal celebration until after the VAR check by which time it's either too late or it's been disallowed" rule.

The whole waiting for a goal decision could interfere with the spontaneity of the game and crowd interaction, but offsides and penalty decisions could improve. Just have to wait and see how its implemented.

1 minute ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The whole waiting for a goal decision could interfere with the spontaneity of the game and crowd interaction, but offsides and penalty decisions could improve. Just have to wait and see how its implemented.

I don't think they are doing offsides as they won't be able to set the camera up at quite a few grounds.

I thought we had seen some bad offside calls this season but the one with Maeda on Saturday was unbelievable. The linesman was so lucky he didn't score.

16 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I don't think they are doing offsides as they won't be able to set the camera up at quite a few grounds.

I thought we had seen some bad offside calls this season but the one with Maeda on Saturday was unbelievable. The linesman was so lucky he didn't score.

I think the offside aspect would be the biggest advantage of it. Waste of time if we can only half arsed implement it. 

All video assistant referees will be current or recently retired Category 1 officials, with the help of a minimum of six manned cameras in each game.

The question the VAR will ask is not "has the right decision been reached?" but "has the referee or his assistant made an obvious error?" and/or "has the referee missed a serious incident?".

VAR can intervene in seven areas:

1. For penalty box decisions/penalty kick or possible penalty kick offences.
  2. For goals scored - all goals scored, and the build up to the goal being scored, are checked under VAR.
  3. For straight red card offences, such as violent conduct and the denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity.
  4. For serious misapplications of the laws - such as a goal scored direct from a dropped ball or throw in.
  5. For cases of mistaken identity.
  6. At the taking of a penalty kick and at kicks from the penalty mark (e.g., for encroachment or goalkeeper moving from the goalline.)
  7. For serious, missed incidents in matches.

With a minimum of 6 cameras and the build up for all goals scored to be checked, you'd have to think offside will be looked at.

20 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Where do they say they are not including offside? The press release says they are implementing the same system as in England and setting up cameras at all 12 grounds.  And the plan is to check every goal.  That check has to include offside or there is no point.

30 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Incompetently I would bet. 

12 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Where do they say they are not including offside? The press release says they are implementing the same system as in England and setting up cameras at all 12 grounds.  And the plan is to check every goal.  That check has to include offside or there is no point.

I read something about a VAR light system with only 4 cameras per game being implemented. That must have got binned.

Watching Rangers' European matches it's pretty obvious the camera on the right hand side half of the pitch isn't a position where accurate measurements can be made. Other grounds will be worse including ours.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

I read something about a VAR light system with only 4 cameras per game being implemented. That must have got binned.

Watching Rangers' European matches it's pretty obvious the camera on the right hand side half of the pitch isn't a position where accurate measurements can be made. Other grounds will be worse including ours.

It going to be the same system that's currently being used in the English premiership that will be implemented,  minimum of 6 cameras at each ground allegedly.

4 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Have the club said anything about the feedback received from their quick email about VAR and how they voted and why?

Not that I've noticed, but supposedly only 1 club voted against and it seems unlikely that it would be us.

7 hours ago, dennyc said:

Then there's rule 7. For serious, missed incidents in matches. They must be watching the entire game so no reason not to include offsides.

On 4/12/2022 at 7:04 PM, grumpy said:

I'm looking forward to it, it'll be hilarious.

What I'm not expecting is (insert name of diddy club here) getting any 50/50 decisions against either arse cheek after a VAR review.

Paranoid or realistic, you decide :dontknow:

I simply don’t think that’s going to happen, way too much scrutiny when Var is involved. I’m one of the few that welcomes the decision simply because the standard of refs up here are so poor. Some of the decisions  against every club in the league are laughable.

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

This is either going to help solve the poor refereeing standard in our game or be an absolute disaster, quietly hoping it’s the former. 

In the premiership games that don't involve the uglies VAR will operate and there will be the usual early dodgy calls, but in general nobody will notice or care if Motherwell or any other team were denied a goal or gave away a penalty etc.

But be prepared for the media and social media shit storm that every foul, corner kick, potential penalty  or goal given/ disallowed will generate for every game the uglies play. They will want every tackle examined and will be on screaming about how VAR is not fit for purpose every time a call goes against them.

I think it will eventually improve the refereeing in Scotland  and the game in General but the 1st few months will be interesting viewing.

• Like 2