Alexander.

postiejim

It feels very similar to the Maurice Malpas season . 
Is there anyone out there who can say this season has been an enjoyable watch. 
Any results we’ve had have been grounded out which is fine when your going through a rough patch but it  has been like this for the whole season.I can see people staying away from the remaining games but the real danger is that the fans are not getting entertained and this will have an impact on ST sales . There’s a few people I’ve spoke to who won’t be renewing to watch the same again next season . Will I renew ? Not so sure now tbh as not enjoying it at all .

As I said earlier same kind of feeling we had when Malpas was in charge . 
Seriously how the board are watching this closely and act before it’s too late . 
Tbh I have trust in the board and would be surprised if there not watching the events carefully . 
If we get beat at home in the next game I’ve got a feeling the fans patience will finally runout . That’s never a nice scenario but can see it happening with the call for Alexander to go 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

Any results we’ve had have been grounded out which is fine when your going through a rough patch but it  has been like this for the whole season.I can see people staying away from the remaining games but the real danger is that the fans are not getting entertained and this will have an impact on ST sales . There’s a few people I’ve spoke to who won’t be renewing to watch the same again next season . Will I renew ? Not so sure now tbh as not enjoying it at all .

As I said earlier same kind of feeling we had when Malpas was in charge . 
Seriously how the board are watching this closely and act before it’s too late . 
Tbh I have trust in the board and would be surprised if there not watching the events carefully . 
If we get beat at home in the next game I’ve got a feeling the fans patience will finally runout . That’s never a nice scenario but can see it happening with the call for Alexander to go 

I am sure at least one or two members of board must come on here....I thought hibs performance was OK but thats been the exception....I was gutted when robbo went, it had been a journey , this is a journey also but with no direction, we have no 3rd place finishes or cup finals to trade against the awful football. 

Even if ga came out and said , we play this way because blah blah but he doesn't say anything in his interviews.

I thought we were a fan owned club and effectively owned by the well society. Burrows shouldn’t be on both these boards as it is a massive conflict of interest, however that aside someone on the board needs to be asking questions right now about why he was given that length of deal - results have in the whole been poor but performances and entertainment value with the exception of two games have been dreadful all season long . We’ve got some decent players but the majority get sat on the bench every week. Any other manager at any other club would be sacked by  now with serious questions also being asked of the board but unfortunately because burrows is a fan and has a good social media team and following he is untouchable and the self preservation team will role out . 

I want us to first and foremost win a game of football, I also want us to compete and to entertain on occasion but we are not capable of any and we are digging ourselves deeper and deeper into trouble.  Quite clearly there are issues behind the scenes not only with players but coaching staff - burrows needs to admit he was wrong and take it on chin or he will be busy counting the empty blow torched seats every Saturdy at Fir Park . Oh and someone on the well society board needs to grow a set and start asking questions. 

There is no question that Alexander has to go. I feel insulted by his team picks, tactics. He has also obviously attended one of Mark McGhee’s arrogance work shops. 
What about Alan Burrows. It’s very well being a fan and going from tea boy to the top but In any CEO job you have to be decisive and lead from the top. Communication to the staff and to the fans is vital, especially when things are not going to plan to prevent gossip and inaccuracies spreading throughout the club.  It’s not the players job to question the managers tactics it’s Mr Burrows job. The Motherwell family ethos is in danger and I am embarrassed at the way some players have been treated. Liam Grimshaw is an example. It’s disgraceful. 
  As fans we do not want to have to protest outside the main stand because it causes a  toxic atmosphere and it’s not our job to make it easier for Alan Burrows to sack him.
Alan be a leader and stop this now. If not then milk and 2 sugars please. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Motherwellfc1991 said:

someone on the board needs to be asking questions right now about why he was given that length of deal - results have in the whole been poor but performances and entertainment value with the exception of two games have been dreadful all season long .

Club Press Release 10th Jan 2022

Graham Alexander has signed a deal that will keep him at Fir Park until at least 2025.

“I’m delighted to sign a new contract here at Motherwell and continue the progress we have all made in the last 12 months. Chris and I have received nothing but great support from everyone connected with the club, which has certainly helped us concentrate on our work.  I have a brilliant relationship with the people I work with every day and the environment that we’re allowed to develop here to produce results is particularly rewarding. I also want to thank the chairman and the board for showing the faith in us from day one to be a success in this role. We know we have much more to achieve here. We will strive to work as hard as ever to serve Motherwell in the best way.”

Appointed on 7 January 2021 he has presided over transformation of the playing squad. The team’s points tally of 59 in the 2021 calendar year was the third-highest in the top flight, with the club also currently occupying 4th spot.  Statistically he ranks near the top of the modern-day Motherwell bosses with a win percentage of 47.8% and a league points per game record of 1.55. He is also the first manager outside of Celtic and Rangers to win 3 Premiership Manager of the Month awards in a calendar year, with only Neil Lennon (4), Steven Gerrard, Alex McLeish, Brendan Rodgers and Gordon Strachan (3) for company.

Chairman Jim McMahon said “We have been absolutely delighted with Graham’s contribution since joining the club 12 months ago and we are excited about what he is trying to build with us.  He is talented, hard-working, dedicated and fully buys into the multifaceted role at Motherwell. The board will continue to back him to help us achieve our goals both on and off the pitch.”

I for one would be glad to be rid of him but given this mutual love-in was only about 3 months ago it’s extremely unlikely we’ll be getting shot of him any time soon!

13 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Must be great being a football manager.

You serve up any kinda sustained level beyond mediocrity and you're generally lauded and get renewed contracts, whilst knowing the inevitable downturn isn't all that far away, which will ultimately end in the sack, seeing yet more 000's being thrust into the pension pot.

At every level too.

Mourinho has done fuck all for ten year, but every sacking coins in millions, the guy's not giving a fuck, he's like Scrooge McDuck, swimming pool filled with money, earned from failure after failure.

I'm guessing the Wagu fillets must've been out the night that "the manager formally known as Grezza", went home and told the misses about that new deal...!! 

Think he's a vegan tbf

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

However on a purely football level we’ve lost a full midfield and no one has a clue why. 

To be fair, since January, GA has rededicated his tactics to playing without a midfield anyway so it doesn't really matter who we put in there. Peak Viera, Scholes and Gerrard wouldn't be able to do anything when all they have to work from is a punt from defence to Van Veens head, hoping that who ever is selected from Woolery or Roberts can run onto the second ball......

• Like 2

On 3/20/2022 at 9:52 AM, Mintymac said:

We've had half a season of enjoyable watching since the Higdon era and that was down to a certain Mr. Turnbull.

At the end of the day you don't make silk purses out of a sows ear.

Criticising Alexander for not playing attractive football is a bogus complaint.  The league is dreadful, the players are dreadful. Most of our squad can't make a pass.  What do you expect out of the manager?

What I expect is for him to ditch the duds asap during the summer.  I don't expect him to make Liam Donnelly into Xavi.

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

All I'm asking for, at the minute, is to make us solid and reliable. No basic errors at the back and no easily avoidable goals. Is that a lot to ask for? 

It's outside the managers influence of the team captain makes an absolute rick of it in the box and gives a goal away.

Or if a player gets sent off in the 1st minute.

Or if the referee gives a penalty that was outside the box.

What the manager is responsible is recruitment, tactics, team selection, shape, etc. 

He's had one summer window so I'll give him a break there, tactics aren't pretty but I understand that we don't have technically gifted players and maybe our style maximises our chances with the current squad, although I think we should aspire for better in the future.  I get that some people will disagree on this point but if I look at what we have and ask myself if it's through, round or over the top I've got to say it's probably over the top. 

Team selection has been made difficult by injuries, Watt being transferred out and inconsistencies.  If you have four full backs at the club and none of them perform, what exactly do you do?  I think Alexander is damned if he does or damned if he doesn't in certain aspects of team selection.  People complained when Woolery and McGinley were starters every week.  Now they've been changed out and it's 'tombola' chat.  In our last 5 matches we've used 16 starting players and 9 have played in at least 4 out of the 5 so it's hardly even that extreme. And it's not like the Robinson days when there were better players on the side-lines absolutely screaming out to be in the side. 

Shape is difficult when you don't have a functional midfield, but I think a lot of the goals we've given away recently have been down to individual errors rather than the way the team is set up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If you have four full backs at the club and none of them perform, what exactly do you do? 

Shape is difficult when you don't have a functional midfield....

What you don't do is hand a new contract to McGinley, so he doesn't feel left out next to Carroll or Mugabi.

As for the non functioning midfield, who should take the blame for that, after endless months of fans pointing that out?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

but I think a lot of the goals we've given away recently have been down to individual errors rather than the way the team is set up.

Some truth in that but Saint's first goal on Saturday was at least in part, down to tactics and its not for the first time. Irrespective of how how we set up, we always defend very narrowly with the predictable outcome. Not all down to poor full/wing backs making errors.

9 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Some truth in that but Saint's first goal on Saturday was at least in part, down to tactics and its not for the first time. Irrespective of how how we set up, we always defend very narrowly with the predictable outcome. Not all down to poor full/wing backs making errors.

The amount of space we offer opposing forwards from our (lack of) left back presence is laughable. That goal against St J and also against Hibs  and various other examples. And another worrying fact is that it doesnt seem to matter who is playing left back. I think its coaching/management and duff players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wishielad said:

I heard the same about Slattery and O'Donnell. Don't know if it's true.

cos people keep saying it on here, thats probably where you heard it.

I am not defending ga but maybe I doubt part of his tactics are to set up dundee players for a goal and numerous other  mistakes ....slattery tbf , I don't understand. 

37 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't agree its down to tactics , the full back , carrol , in this instance couldve made more of an effort to close the cross down.i get that there is maybe an idea that 3 centre half's can defend crosses, but I doubt ga is saying just let them cross it , at ease.

While there are always a few complex factors when a team is struggling, lacking in confidence or whatever, it's too often the case that players dodge responsibility.

I don't care who the gaffer is. If you are a professional player taking a wage, but struggle to make a 10 yard pass to a teammate, then that is 100% on you and you need to take the responsibility to sort it.

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

What the manager is responsible is recruitment, tactics, team selection, shape, etc. 

That’s it in a fucking nutshell. The key phrase is “the manager is responsible”.  So let’s mark his report card in the areas you identify.

Recruitment: Fail.  Brought players that are no better than what he had and brought players on loan and hasn’t played them.

Tactics: Fail.  Has none.  No midfield. Defenders pelting passes forward from deep like cruise missiles.

Team Selection:  Fail.  Doesn’t know his best 11 and as a result there’s no consistency in selection leading to inconsistency of performance and poor results.

Shape: Fail. Obsessed with 4-3-3 which is failing miserably - seems determined to stick to this like a lemming going over a cliff.

Since beating Livingston 2-1 at FP on Boxing Day we’ve played 11 league games and only got 5 points (5 home: 3 draws; 2 defeats and 6 away: 2 draws; 4 defeats).  On that form we’d be bottom of the league as Dundee in the same period got 7 points.  We are quite clearly in relegation form.

• Like 2

Given the situation we are in, ask yourself - 

Who game after game  instructs the full backs/wing backs to play narrow, surrender the wide areas and concentrate on defending the multitude of crosses that will inevitably come in?

Who game after game instructs our defenders to hoof the ball forward in the hope the opposing centre backs cannot head the ball and we might even win the second ball?

Who game after game instructs every player to come back to defend free kicks and corners, leaving no out ball should we win the ball? Even the expected hoof ball has no target in those situations.

Who game after game sets us up to be outnumbered and overrun in midfield? In fairness, if you bypass midfield that might not an issue when we have the ball.

Does anyone genuinely believe it is the players making those decisions?

Who thought it clever to play a decent central defender but suspect tackler at wing back in an important cup tie? And then who acts amazed that one piece of poor control and attempted recovery tackle results in a red card? 

Who game after game leaves our most creative and/or energetic players on the bench or sitting in the stand?

Who drops players to the bench that did well when starting the previous match?

Who stands watching a substandard performance, chatting it over with his mate for 75 minutes before making a change?  Even then any change is like for like and makes no difference to the style of play.

Who is prepared to blame the players, pitch, officials, weather, bad luck for every shambolic performance rather than accepting that just perhaps a change off approach now and then might help?

Who spouts the same rubbish game after miserable game, but actually says nothing?

You can blame the players and the poor quality of Scottish football and our League all you like. But we are stuck with a Manager who is doing nothing to help and in many ways is hanging his  players out to dry. His stubbornness, reluctance to attempt a fresh approach when his game plan is failing coupled with his perceived persecution of players who raise questions is harming our Club and turning fans off big time. Somebody said it earlier. " It is now a chore going to watch this team".

It is also galling to have to accept that teams such as Livingston, Ross County and St Mirren play far more entertaining football than we do despite operating in the same marketplace and therefore being similarly hampered by the poor quality of player available and the League we have to compete in. We may well escape relegation...just... this season but if Alexander continues with his same approach then we are only heading in one direction. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

That’s it in a fucking nutshell. The key phrase is “the manager is responsible”.  So let’s mark his report card in the areas you identify.

Recruitment: Fail.  Brought players that are no better than what he had and brought players on loan and hasn’t played them.

Tactics: Fail.  Has none.  No midfield. Defenders pelting passes forward from deep like cruise missiles.

Team Selection:  Fail.  Doesn’t know his best 11 and as a result there’s no consistency in selection leading to inconsistency of performance and poor results.

Shape: Fail. Obsessed with 4-3-3 which is failing miserably - seems determined to stick to this like a lemming going over a cliff.

Since beating Livingston 2-1 at FP on Boxing Day we’ve played 11 league games and only got 5 points (5 home: 3 draws; 2 defeats and 6 away: 2 draws; 4 defeats).  On that form we’d be bottom of the league as Dundee in the same period got 7 points.  We are quite clearly in relegation form.

Recruitment - One summer window, players brought in have been a mixed bag but I don't think his record is bad as such.  Bigger problem has been losing quality players like Campbell and Watt rather who we've brought in.  People here keep shouting for Woolery and Slattery and they were both Alexander signings. Most of the players that need to be moved on were pre Alexander signings.

Tactics - No team has 'none'.  As I've said before who do you think we have that can pass or play through a defence?  And if you don't believe there are any what's the alternative?

Shape - 4-3-3 isn't the problem.  We've got results with 4-3-3 last season and the first half of this season with mostly the same players.  Do folk really want to see us go to 2 central midfielders and weaken what is already the weakest part of the team?

Form - Lots of teams are in honking form right now.   1 win would see us fly up any form table.  The fact is that most of the teams in the league are pretty much of a muchness.

As far as his recruitment goes, I can't remember the last time we had a squad where there's only one player I'd be gutted to lose, and for the record, at the time I thought we'd recruited well.

This seems very Gannon-y, where we dont find out the signings are good until another manager uses them.

• Like 1

As I see it, we have three options available to us with regard to Alexander. Option one, sack him now. Option two, let him finish the season and then sack him, trusting in the fact that the rest of the league, out with the Old Firm, are equally rank so our Premiership status is pretty much secured. Option three, continue with him for a further year, in the hope that things turn out alright.

Option one has little to recommend it, despite the run of poor performances and results being such that it would have resulted in the trigger being squeezed at other clubs in our division. I like to think that one of the reasons we have stayed so long in the top flight is that, as a club, we have not been too quick to change manager, and history has shown that clubs that choose this route more often get it wrong than right. Throw in that there is no obvious replacement, the season is nearly over so the likelihood of any worthwhile " new manager bounce" is limited, and that his new contract will make this expensive and this option looks unlikely. Some might even contend that we could still finish fourth, but I think recent performances make this argument both spurious and delusional.

Option two seems the obvious route to take. As long as the fates don't conspire to somehow land us in the bottom two. A few more crap performances and results to add to the argument that we gave Alexander every chance to turn things around and it just isn't working. He might even do the honourable thing and walk away and save us a few bob in compensation (yeah? Nah, doubtful).

Option three doesn't really appeal. Yes, the league is generally poor quality, and, as our league position shows, we are probably not the worst, except on current form, but to continue as we are for another season seems like a recipe for relegation. Alexander seems to have run out of ideas and is what he is repeatedly trying with 4-3-3 isn't working. Getting someone new in for the start of the next season seems the obvious solution. Yes, getting rid of him will cost us, and there is no obvious candidate for what will always be a difficult job , given the state of our league and our limited finances, but continuing as we are is not a long term option that fills me with any hope.

• Thanks 1

Option Four - get rid of him now and use Hammell's wages to cover it as his role at club now is pointless as youth academy seems to have been abandoned.  Just my opinion and don't expect many to agree but that is the way GA has made me feel and believe you me I am usually upbeat (apart from poor jokes).  I just want us to stay up then take it from there...COYW

53 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Has the academy been abandoned? I think reserve football isn't happening, but not so sure about the academy.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

No idea mate. Been my argument for ages. Just my view but club don't seem interested on that side and would rather pay wages to lower league players down south.  I would rather see us take a chance on a youngster than another poor signing of which there have been a good few. Anyway hopefully cornelius keeps his place as that is at least one positive. COYW