Alexander.

postiejim

13 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Has the academy been abandoned? I think reserve football isn't happening, but not so sure about the academy.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I think that Covid put a stop to the youths, seemed as though we let everyone go and started again. So I think everyone at the youth level is about 16, Barring Johnstone and Cornelius. Dean is very much part of the first team anaw.

I think the games up to under-18 level have been going ahead, not sure what's happening with the age group above that.

The name that was mentioned on here before as a future prospect  was Bailey Rice, think he's only 15 so too young to sign a pro contract and both Rangers and Man City were reportedly looking to sign him.

On 3/19/2022 at 7:58 PM, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Shields is the worst signing of the lot - a truly dreadful footballer. That’s why we don’t often sign from the Scottish lower leagues. There’s barely a footballer in those leagues

You maybe right but one signing from a team currently sitting second bottom in the championship does not make your case that there is barely a footballer in those leagues. It just means Alexander is incompetent in assessing players. If things go tits up you may well see with your own eyes whether there are footballers in a lower league.

My question about GA is what’s Burrows n the board doing, what games are they watching that we aren’t? 

We ARE the worst team in the league since January, our performances are dire, the team doesn’t appear to be gelling, players who were our best before Christmas get splinters in their arses now sitting on the bench, why?

Its now almost April with 0 victories in 11, pre Jan top 4 looked possible, now bottom 3 is likely, time Burrows came out from that solar eclipse darkness and acted in the best interests of OUR club, GA’s time is up, he’s out of ideas, time to go im afraid…

6 hours ago, ppower said:

You maybe right but one signing from a team currently sitting second bottom in the championship does not make your case that there is barely a footballer in those leagues. It just means Alexander is incompetent in assessing players. If things go tits up you may well see with your own eyes whether there are footballers in a lower league.

The previous comment is harsh on Shields. He is a second striker. He does not fit in with our structure.

It's a bit like when we signed Vigurs who had a position he found successful at his previous club and then never playing him there.

If you adopt a style - then we can't sign players who's success lies outside this. He is not a wide man.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Motherwell Daft said:

My question about GA is what’s Burrows n the board doing, what games are they watching that we aren’t? 

We ARE the worst team in the league since January, our performances are dire, the team doesn’t appear to be gelling, players who were our best before Christmas get splinters in their arses now sitting on the bench, why?

Its now almost April with 0 victories in 11, pre Jan top 4 looked possible, now bottom 3 is likely, time Burrows came out from that solar eclipse darkness and acted in the best interests of OUR club, GA’s time is up, he’s out of ideas, time to go im afraid…

I don't think they'll be under any illusions about how pish we are, but it's been 3 months of pish. In his first 12 months he had us 3rd in the calendar year - there's the proof that he does know how to win games.  He's got plenty left in the bank from those first 12 months, although I imagine it's rapidly dwindling. We're also only probably a couple of wins away from an "okay" season (i.e. finishing 6th / 7th), and still in touching distance of Europe, and the board have to consider the financial implications of ditching a manger with a couple of years left on his contract - won't be cheap at all. Aye, we're in relegation form but it's highly unlikely we'll be relegated. If the board stick or twist for the board and  it's a gamble either way. 

I think the turning point will be when the players have switched off to the message. As soon as they've turned on the manager, he's fucked. If that's not happened yet then GA will be here for the foreseeable future. Hate to say this I can picture us scraping through to the end of the season with him, finishing 9th or something and GA getting the league cup groups and first month or so of next season to prove this summers signings were the answer he needed. 

If we finish 9th after being 4th for most of the season, he's getting binned.

If we finish 6th or above, he'll stay and deserves it.

In between is a grey area and we can all fight. Motherwell rules.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Didnt see the game on Saturday, so cannot comment. But lets not be kidded that the football since Xmas has been any worse than it was before.

The main difference is results. Before we were winning games by fine margins. Now we are losing them by fine margins. The football was awful to watch and is still awful to watch. 

As far as Alexander is concerned, there is still no chance he gets sacked before the end of the season. He still has 2 games to get us top 6 and will be given the opportunity.  If that doesnt happen his remit will be to ensure we get as high a finish as possible.

Its not impossible if we were to finish bottom 6 that St Johnstone could reel us in. When you play all the teams around you after the split and go into it in such a poor run of form it is easy to go into freefall. He would then be demanded to win a play off. 

I think the only way he gets sacked is if we get relegated. My main concern is if we narrowly stay up and are subjected to more of the same next season. As a fan owned club its really important to keep our fanbase on side and the atmosphere is getting quite poisonous and that can become self fulfilling. 

Alexander seems very stubborn. He shows no sign of altering his philosophy. The rotation of the squad just seems to be how he likes to do things and the long ball percentage football just keeps on coming and is desperate to watch.

I wouldnt be sad to see him go right now. But I wont be holding my breath.

The board will have a decision to make though once the seasons over and we see where are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Didnt see the game on Saturday, so cannot comment. But lets not be kidded that the football since Xmas has been any worse than it was before.

The main difference is results. Before we were winning games by fine margins. Now we are losing them by fine margins. The football was awful to watch and is still awful to watch. 

As far as Alexander is concerned, there is still no chance he gets sacked before the end of the season. He still has 2 games to get us top 6 and will be given the opportunity.  If that doesnt happen his remit will be to ensure we get as high a finish as possible.

Its not impossible if we were to finish bottom 6 that St Johnstone could reel us in. When you play all the teams around you after the split and go into it in such a poor run of form it is easy to go into freefall. He would then be demanded to win a play off. 

I think the only way he gets sacked is if we get relegated. My main concern is if we narrowly stay up and are subjected to more of the same next season. As a fan owned club its really important to keep our fanbase on side and the atmosphere is getting quite poisonous and that can become self fulfilling. 

Alexander seems very stubborn. He shows no sign of altering his philosophy. The rotation of the squad just seems to be how he likes to do things and the long ball percentage football just keeps on coming and is desperate to watch.

I wouldnt be sad to see him go right now. But I wont be holding my breath.

The board will have a decision to make though once the seasons over and we see where are.

A  convincing and persuasive analysis, JWFC,  and I thank you for it but it only persuades me that the manager is pretty clueless and stubborn to the point of self-destruction.

If the board wait until the season is over I suspect it will be too late by that time.

As some older 'Well fans have said, the  signs for GA are ominous when you consider the dire lack of quality of the teams he has  selected to play (but not necessarily of those he has brought to the club). Those seeking  consolation that we are losing narrowly but not being "pumped" could look at the side relegated in the late 60s: IIRC we lost a significant number of  games then by the odd goal but were seldom humiliated.  Yet the split offers another avenue to relegation by introducing head-to-head desperation games in a situation redolent of Hibs in 2014 and Dundee in The  Noughties, when they narrowly missed the top six and then collapsed after the split.

I see little merit in the manager's approach and organisation:  a sterile  long-ball philosophy, a lack of a cohesive and functioning  midfield, clueless wide defenders, vulnerability in central defence and  an excruciatingly long-winded and delusional analysis before and after games. Thank God we have a goalkeeper.

We can also  see on these pages a significant number  of older ST fans who say they have had enough and I too have thought similarly. Even the year we should have gone down in The Untouchables season, we had gifted younger players and IIRC we managed to beat a good few of the top six that season: it was the head to heads below that level  which got us into trouble.

It will be 60 years next year since I started supporting Motherwell but then it had a wonderful philosophy of playing football at a time when wages were  only modestly above the levels of a skilled worker. I know the societal problems are wider and deeper now but it seems there is no vision or imagination at the club and these problems go back further than the recent fan-ownership period.

In short, we need a charismatic visionary with an encyclopaedic knowledge of tactics and  the UK football market and incredible motivational powers.

Does anyone think the board are aware of the task ahead and  are able to tackle the problem?

I do hope they have someone looking at these pages.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Happy Dosser said:

A  convincing and persuasive analysis, JWFC,  and I thank you for it but it only persuades me that the manager is pretty clueless and stubborn to the point of self-destruction.

If the board wait until the season is over I suspect it will be too late by that time.

As some older 'Well fans have said, the  signs for GA are ominous when you consider the dire lack of quality of the teams he has  selected to play (but not necessarily of those he has brought to the club). Those seeking  consolation that we are losing narrowly but not being "pumped" could look at the side relegated in the late 60s: IIRC we lost a significant number of  games then by the odd goal but were seldom humiliated.  Yet the split offers another avenue to relegation by introducing head-to-head desperation games in a situation redolent of Hibs in 2014 and Dundee in The  Noughties, when they narrowly missed the top six and then collapsed after the split.

I see little merit in the manager's approach and organisation:  a sterile  long-ball philosophy, a lack of a cohesive and functioning  midfield, clueless wide defenders, vulnerability in central defence and  an excruciatingly long-winded and delusional analysis before and after games. Thank God we have a goalkeeper.

We can also  see on these pages a significant number  of older ST fans who say they have had enough and I too have thought similarly. Even the year we should have gone down in The Untouchables season, we had gifted younger players and IIRC we managed to beat a good few of the top six that season: it was the head to heads below that level  which got us into trouble.

It will be 60 years next year since I started supporting Motherwell but then it had a wonderful philosophy of playing football at a time when wages were  only modestly above the levels of a skilled worker. I know the societal problems are wider and deeper now but it seems there is no vision or imagination at the club and these problems go back further than the recent fan-ownership period.

In short, we need a charismatic visionary with an encyclopaedic knowledge of tactics and  the UK football market and incredible motivational powers.

Does anyone think the board are aware of the task ahead and  are able to tackle the problem?

Great Post

3 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

I can only boast 50 years active service, but I cant disagree with a word of your post. 

I share the feelings of exasperation that many Well fans are experiencing right now. But they need to be balanced against the reality of the situation.

No wins in 11 league games is a desperate record for any Motherwell manager, let alone one serving up such desperate fare. But he has 2 games to secure top 6 and probably his job.

I for one will have no interest in renewing my season ticket next year if there isnt some indication that the current brand of football is a means to an end and will be addressed close season.

I work shifts so cant go to all our home games anyway. So it will be back to picking and choosing for me.

• Like 1

Have read all this talk of Alexander and Slattery having some sort of fall out and I just don’t buy it. If that was the case he would be nowhere near the 1st team squad let alone sitting on the bench on match days. A player and a manager fallout then there is only one winner and it’s not the player.

Slattery played almost every game until he was suspended and I’m sure he was one of the players who had COVID just before the break. Players nowadays are monitored every second during games and also in training. Maybe just maybe Slattery data in training  ( Wee box of tricks they all wear on their backs ) shows that his energy level recovery rate are not where they were before had had COVID ……… fit enough to sit on the bench but nowhere near fit enough to start a game.

Also all this chopping and changing could COVID testing have something to do with it ???

Deepest Lanarkshire is rife with it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Dosser said:

At least that gave me a laugh!

I was speaking to Muttley after an AGM and mentioned we needed a ball winner in the middle of the park...next day we signed motorway snoozer and all round h*n fuckstick Bawbag Malcolm.  I always felt in some way this was my fault and I apologise.  

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

Now that everyone has calmed down and had a time to reflect there is no chance GA will be sacked and we really need to get behind the team starting against St Mirren and hope we get our win which might kick start our campaign again.

One thing I don’t think can be levelled at the fans is not getting behind the team except from some derision against Ross County recently.

On 3/23/2022 at 8:58 PM, Happy Dosser said:

His style isn't easy on the eye and he's not getting results at the moment, but he's far from clueless. He's proven that with his results not just here but elsewhere. 

It's also worth remembering that the board, and Alan Burrows, will be speaking to Alexander daily, discussing the issues, and trying to put them right. We don't see that aspect, and I trust the board will know if and when the time is right to tell the manager that it's just not working and it's time to part ways.

• 2 weeks later...

Great result today and much better overall performance.

I'm not calling for the managers head so please take this in the context it's meant.

Today shows some of the key flaws in his managerial approach.  Dropping players like Slattery for months at a time with no obvious reason hurts us. Todays midfield was a key reason we won.  Also brining Tierney back into the team , a guy who looks dangerous every game he's played for us - why he's not had more game time is bizarre. 

Overall we have the bones of a team that could be sailing high in the top 6. Had he played our better players consistently rather than the 'tombola' I don't think we'd be worrying about top 6.    

Delighted with todays performance (will try and forget our defensive flaws in the first half) but please GA get your shit together, play our best players and keep some consistency in the back 4.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Great result today and much better overall performance.

I'm not calling for the managers head so please take this in the context it's meant.

Today shows some of the key flaws in his managerial approach.  Dropping players like Slattery for months at a time with no obvious reason hurts us. Todays midfield was a key reason we won.  Also brining Tierney back into the team , a guy who looks dangerous every game he's played for us - why he's not had more game time is bizarre. 

Overall we have the bones of a team that could be sailing high in the top 6. Had he played our better players consistently rather than the 'tombola' I don't think we'd be worrying about top 6.    

Delighted with todays performance (will try and forget our defensive flaws in the first half) but please GA get your shit together, play our best players and keep some consistency in the back 4.

I simply don’t understand Alexander, think I had a far better take on Robinson in truth. Slattery is just a prime example of why many can’t get their head around his management, pretty much undroppable at one point then went completely missing for what looked like no apparent reason. Brought back in alongside Goss today because of what looks a little like desperation. He gives so little away about his decision making   people end up making things up and that’s never a good thing. I would have taken a top 6 finish and quarter finals of the cup before the season started, for me that’s more than acceptable but for some reason  I feel really quite pissed off with him in truth and that’s unusual for me.

• Like 1

anybody on here know about a rumour  a good friend of mine told me yesterday that slattery is leaving at the  end of the season to go back to engerland  ???? heez not usually off the mark with what he tells me           just wondering if anybody else knows 

1 minute ago, smiddy said:

anybody on here know about a rumour  a good friend of mine told me yesterday that slattery is leaving at the  end of the season to go back to engerland  ???? heez not usually off the mark with what he tells me           just wondering if anybody else knows 

Who wis it told u Yorkyred