Alexander.

postiejim

If Slattery is off at the end of the season, I hope its because someone has come in for him and offered a big fat transfer fee. But given he hasnt been playing, thats unlikely!

So if we manage to maintain top 6 after next week, I think it’s not so much that the manager deserves congratulations and pats on the back because sometimes you can achieve things despite what you do as opposed to because of what you do. I hope he decides to stick with the attempt to play football rather than the eye bleeding fare that’s been on display too often this season. 

• Like 1

The managers job is to win games and get us as high up the league as possible. If he pulls off the result at the weekend (even if we scrape a dire 0-0 and other results help us out) and we get top six, then he deserves the credit. Just the same as he deserves to get slated if the opposite happens.

The style of football hasn't been great, but there aren't any points available for entertainment value.

Hopefully we can make a couple of tweaks to the squad and a solid preseason with a relatively settled group will result in more exciting football, kind of how it came together for McLean back in the day after a few years of turgid stuff. It isn't a guarantee, but it's what's keeping me going.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Haggischomper said:

The McLean-era is what I keep thinking about currently, too, funnily enough. There are quite a few parallels.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Aye especially defending a corner and leaving nobody up the park very McLean esk 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yodo said:

Aye especially defending a corner and leaving nobody up the park very McLean esk 

Which every team in the league does except the one we beat on Saturday. There was stats offered recently  for conceding 0 from around 170 corner kicks against us. 

21 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Which every team in the league does except the one we beat on Saturday. There was stats offered recently  for conceding 0 from around 170 corner kicks against us. 

Really? We did not concede a goal from 170 corners?  You might be right but without checking that’s a difficult stat for me to believe. I’m with Yodo on leave a man up the park. Of course I’m also a “put men on the post” proponent which the pros don’t seem to do anymore. 

35 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Really? We did not concede a goal from 170 corners?  You might be right but without checking that’s a difficult stat for me to believe. I’m with Yodo on leave a man up the park. Of course I’m also a “put men on the post” proponent which the pros don’t seem to do anymore. 

Played amateur fitba for 25 years and we  always left players on the post. Can't believe so many clubs don't adopt that policy

46 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Played amateur fitba for 25 years and we  always left players on the post. Can't believe so many clubs don't adopt that policy

Put your short guys on the post. Not like they are going to win any heading duels. Leave speedy guy up the park. 

12 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I agree completely.

'Man on the post'! That's what I told my son when he was playing and I smiled the other week when I heard him telling his own son to do the same. Cant understand why the pros dont seem to do it anymore.

14 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Really. One of a few stats offered at the recent AGM when questioned about ‘leaving somebody up the park’.

Football has evolved too. 

Crowding tbe box and blocking space for a free run seems to be the order of the day. Cant argue with the stats if they support it. But as a team who seem set up for the counter attack its very frustrating to see us regularly clear the ball from our box to see it come straight back in again. Stats or not Id much prefer to see 1 of Shields or Woolery or Efford or KVV left up to at least give us a chance to counter

LONGEST RUN OF LEAGUE DEFEATS SO FAR THIS SEASON

St Johnstone 8 - Hibs (H), Dundee (A), Aberdeen H), Rangers (A), Motherwell (A), Ross County (H), Celtic (H), Hearts (A)

Dundee 6 - Rangers (A), Ross County (A), Hibs (A), Hearts (H), Aberdeen (A), Livingston (A)

Dundee Utd 6 - Motherwell (A), Celtic (H), Livingston (H), Rangers (A), Hibs (H), St Mirren (H)

Aberdeen 5 - Motherwell (A), St Johnstone (H), St Mirren (A), Celtic (H), Dundee (A)

Hibs 5 - Rangers (A), Dundee Utd (H), Aberdeen (A), Celtic (H), Ross County (A)

Livingston 4 - Rangers (A), Aberdeen (H), Motherwell (H), Hibs (A)

Ross County 4 - Motherwell (A), Dundee Utd (A), St Mirren (H), Livingston (H)

Hearts 3 - Rangers (A), Dundee (H), St Johnstone (A)  (Agg 2-9. -7 GD)

St Mirren 3 - Hearts (H), Celtic (A), Ross County (A)  (Agg 0-5, -5 GD)

Motherwell 3 - Celtic (H), Hearts (A), Dundee Utd (A) (Agg 1-6, -5GD)

Rangers 1

Celtic 1

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

LONGEST RUN OF LEAGUE DEFEATS SO FAR THIS SEASON

St Johnstone 8 - Hibs (H), Dundee (A), Aberdeen H), Rangers (A), Motherwell (A), Ross County (H), Celtic (H), Hearts (A)

Dundee 6 - Rangers (A), Ross County (A), Hibs (A), Hearts (H), Aberdeen (A), Livingston (A)

Dundee Utd 6 - Motherwell (A), Celtic (H), Livingston (H), Rangers (A), Hibs (H), St Mirren (H)

Aberdeen 5 - Motherwell (A), St Johnstone (H), St Mirren (A), Celtic (H), Dundee (A)

Hibs 5 - Rangers (A), Dundee Utd (H), Aberdeen (A), Celtic (H), Ross County (A)

Livingston 4 - Rangers (A), Aberdeen (H), Motherwell (H), Hibs (A)

Ross County 4 - Motherwell (A), Dundee Utd (A), St Mirren (H), Livingston (H)

Hearts 3 - Rangers (A), Dundee (H), St Johnstone (A)  (Agg 2-9. -7 GD)

St Mirren 3 - Hearts (H), Celtic (A), Ross County (A)  (Agg 0-5, -5 GD)

Motherwell 3 - Celtic (H), Hearts (A), Dundee Utd (A) (Agg 1-6, -5GD)

Rangers 1

Celtic 1

Thats a good stat.

But what about runs without a win?