Alexander.

postiejim

23 minutes ago, ropy said:

We are as well starting next season with Alexander, who now has the experience of this past year and knowledge of the players, than the gamble of another new face.

The difference being that a new face would be given time (again) whereas if Alexander is not performing by, say, October his past record will go against him and he is more likely to be ditched.

That exactly my take. He's ticked his boxes this season, although its been achieved in a very peculiar way. Although the Directors will be very aware of the support's concerns he'll be given a chance to reshape the squad in the summer, hopefully by strengthening our areas of weakness. If we have a poor start to the season and that continues into the autumn he's more likely to go.

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

That exactly my take. He's ticked his boxes this season, although its been achieved in a very peculiar way. Although the Directors will be very aware of the support's concerns he'll be given a chance to reshape the squad in the summer, hopefully by strengthening our areas of weakness. If we have a poor start to the season and that continues into the autumn he's more likely to go.

I can see the box he's ticked, but not the boxes (unless we make Europe). Other than making the top 6, what do you consider his successes to be?

25 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I can see the box he's ticked, but not the boxes (unless we make Europe). Other than making the top 6, what do you consider his successes to be?

Saved us from relegation last season and a wee scottish cup run at last  and three game to go still in with a European chance . Stand back n have a look .Compared to all the other shite teams around us in the leauge, we are still shite tho but top six shite. Im sure fans of most other teams think they have been watching shite all season too.

30 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I don't know what his objectives are but here goes. Avoid relegation- tick. Top six - tick. Quarter final of a cup - tick. Transfer income - too early to tell. Youth development - impossible to say given current Covid arrangements. Euro Place- can't tell yet.

22 minutes ago, stv said:

Saved us from relegation last season and a wee scottish cup run at last  and three game to go still in with a European chance . Stand back n have a look .Compared to all the other shite teams around us in the leauge, we are still shite tho but top six shite. Im sure fans of most other teams think they have been watching shite all season too.

Aye, a wee cup run. 2 wins. 

I think everybody would agree most other teams have been shite, but 'we're shite too' isn't the strongest defence I've ever heard for a manager.

He saved us last season and we had a good first half of the season, results wise. Since then, utter garbage, in every respect. We can moan about our luck yesterday, but  in all honesty, other results have kept us where we are more than anything we've done this year.

I'm interested in next season now - Alexander's team selections and tactics don't convince me he's planning on changing our style of play. Ok. But if the spectacle doesn't matter, just the results, our current run can't just be written off as meaningless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

That’s my take on it and in line with a comment in his post match interview, we made top six. In fairness to the board he picked up more points than any other manager out-with the old firm in the run up to signing a new contract, I don’t remember too many supporters complaining at the time. I’m very much on the fence regarding him as a manager and his style of football but would still question if that says more about the Scottish  Premiership than individual managers given the vast majority of management changes have not being a success. Yes it means giving him the summer budget but sacking him and his playing staff won’t be cheap and looking at this season there is every chance his replacement will be no better or worse.

I’ve honestly got no idea if there will be an impact on season ticket sales, they remained high under Robinson and is the football any worse under Alexander ? nothing in it for me.

I sincerely hope that fans take a step back from the doom and gloom surrounding Alexander (hard to do at the moment I know) and look at the bigger picture here. It's easy to get swept along with the despondency when you are reading it over all our forums.

Yes the football has been dire but the talk of not renewing season tickets is concerning and would surely put the club into financial difficulty and affect the amount of funds available for Alexander or whoever replaces him at some point( if that happens) to strengthen the team.

So if we think the football has been dire this season think what it might be like next season if we can't afford to go after better players.

I'll be renewing mine regardless as it's the club I support, not the manager players or board members and I want to see us around in the top division for as long as we can.

We've come a long way and I would hate to see us going backwards because of one (or 2 depending on how you look at it) bad seasons.

• Like 7

We gave all season ticket holders a freebie this season. If we were struggling financially then no way would club have made that very generous offer. Personally,  yes I confess I am considering whether to renew season  ticket but in no way diminishes my love of a club I have followed since we beat ajax 4-2 in 1977.  I Don't trust GA with another transfer window, he was given plenty funds in summer and look at what he has signed (or handed extended contracts to).  But again I hear all of his supporters and although I don't agree with a large part of it, I respect it which is what the forum should all be about...COYW

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

We gave all season ticket holders a freebie this season. If we were struggling financially then no way would club have made that very generous offer. Personally,  yes I confess I am considering whether to renew season  ticket but in no way diminishes my love of a club I have followed since we beat ajax 4-2 in 1977.  I Don't trust GA with another transfer window, he was given plenty funds in summer and look at what he has signed (or handed extended contracts to).  But again I hear all of his supporters and although I don't agree with a large part of it, I respect it which is what the forum should all be about...COYW

I’m not even sure he has supporters, I’m just looking at the overall position for the season in the league and cup. I think that’s the case with the majority who feel he will get to start next season. I don’t particularly enjoy the football at the moment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, santheman said:

I sincerely hope that fans take a step back from the doom and gloom surrounding Alexander (hard to do at the moment I know) and look at the bigger picture here. It's easy to get swept along with the despondency when you are reading it over all our forums.

Yes the football has been dire but the talk of not renewing season tickets is concerning and would surely put the club into financial difficulty and affect the amount of funds available for Alexander or whoever replaces him at some point( if that happens) to strengthen the team.

So if we think the football has been dire this season think what it might be like next season if we can't afford to go after better players.

I'll be renewing mine regardless as it's the club I support, not the manager players or board members and I want to see us around in the top division for as long as we can.

We've come a long way and I would hate to see us going backwards because of one (or 2 depending on how you look at it) bad seasons.

I'll renew mine, but that doesn't mean it's a vote of confidence in the bullshi55er who is manager, and, if rumblings I've heard from folk far closer to the inner workings of the club than I'll ever be, has alienated a fair few players by his arrogance. Previous managers haven't been given the leeway, by some on this board, that he has when results and style of football have been poor. I don't expect players or managers to have the same commitment as fans have to the club as it's a job for them. However, I do expect honest and hard graft, not feeble excuses about luck when we lose and no mention of that when luck means we win games we shouldn't. If Alexander bemoans the luck and fine margins since Boxing Day, he should also take account of the luck and fine margins that got us victories in first half of season.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wishielad said:

I'll renew mine, but that doesn't mean it's a vote of confidence in the bullshi55er who is manager.

Pretty much my view. I'll renew to help the club I love  as I always have done. For me  the jury is still out on GA. 

One thing Alexander has got spot on is his ability to divide our support. Board won't notice this as they are too busy concentrating on how our Facebook pages are going..'by the way Happy Birthday Bevis' lol.  I haven't said I won't renew but fact I am.in doubt just sums up my general mood just now created by our manager.   My worry is if say come October things haven't improved it will have meant he has wasted more money on poor signings and has us struggling in the league, not sure if I want us to take that chance. But each to their own.  Huge game next week and return of KVV who if it hadn't been for his stupid cheap bookings would have featured in last 2 games and would have provided more of a chance of goals than efford.  COYW

5 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I’ve honestly got no idea if there will be an impact on season ticket sales, they remained high under Robinson and is the football any worse under Alexander ? nothing in it for me.

Huge difference between Robinson and Alexander. Robinson had a rapport with the support I've never seen previously with a manger or since. It felt very much like a journey together and many, myself included, were genuinely gutted when it started to fall apart. Alexander does not have that luxury, nor does he have the perception of love for the club that Steven Robinson built up over his time at Fir Park. His attitude genuinely stinks. This talk of Alexander's wholesale change of the backroom team concerns me, if this is indeed true then the empire will be harder to bullet financially when we are sitting in the bottom three in November.

27 minutes ago, StirlingDosser said:

Huge difference between Robinson and Alexander. Robinson had a rapport with the support I've never seen previously with a manger or since. It felt very much like a journey together and many, myself included, were genuinely gutted when it started to fall apart. Alexander does not have that luxury, nor does he have the perception of love for the club that Steven Robinson built up over his time at Fir Park. His attitude genuinely stinks. This talk of Alexander's wholesale change of the backroom team concerns me, if this is indeed true then the empire will be harder to bullet financially when we are sitting in the bottom three in November.

I failed to see any rapport between both steelboy and Yodo with Robinson at any point if I’m being honest.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

One thing Alexander has got spot on is his ability to divide our support. Board won't notice this as they are too busy concentrating on how our Facebook pages are going.

You'd struggle to get a fag paper between the opinions of our Facebook supporters club regarding Alexander. Pretty much of one mind now.

• Like 1

if rumblings I've heard from folk far closer to the inner workings of the club than I'll ever be, has alienated a fair few players by his arrogance.

Watt? O'Hara and Lamie? The latter two have played regularly even though they're on the way out. Who else is alienated? SOD is injured (or is he?) There were rumblings about Slattery, but he's been playing regularly again.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, StirlingDosser said:

I honestly think some were too quick to push the panic button with Robbo,  I was a fan

The run we are on at present is arguably worse than anything Robbo did,  he got us to two cup finals which is still one of my best seasons following the Well , and of course the third placed finish

Also beating Rangers at Hampden the day Moult scored twice is one of my greatest days following the Well,  plus the mess he inherited when McGhee had left 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I honestly think some were too quick to push the panic button with Robbo,  I was a fan
The run we are on at present is arguably worse than anything Robbo did,  he got us to two cup finals which is still one of my best seasons following the Well , and of course the third placed finish
Also beating Rangers at Hampden the day Moult scored twice is one of my greatest days following the Well,  plus the mess he inherited when McGhee had left 

The players let Robinson down but at the end of the day he’s the one who signs them, he’s held his hands up to that.

8 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Let's take a step back here lads, I have read plenty of retired managers biographies which gives different options regarding players falling out with managers etc. Remember the manager is the main man and once the bad pennies go, happiness returns, COYW. 

Depends on who the manager is and how many bad pennies there are.  

One thing that's worth considering, although I'm perfectly aware that certain people won't, is the Covid situation up until recently.

At the start of the season, Alexander and other managers mentioned the fact that they suddenly had to increase the size of their squads due to the rules around Covid. This didn't mean they had a larger budget to play with though. They found themselves in a position where they had to stretch their current budget to incorporate another load of players who would act as cover if there was an outbreak and players were ruled out due to isolating and suchlike.

The fact that virtually every team outside the top three has been playing like they don't know what a football looks like tells us something. If it was just us, we could point at the manager and ask the question of why all the other clubs are coping fine. But it isn't. It's every club almost. 

So in short, we're probably sitting with a squad a good bit larger than that Alexander would have wanted, and due to that we've had to stretch our budget to accommodate that. 

I imagine that the likes of Victor Nirennold, Justin Amaluzor etc will all quietly disappear. 

Hopefully we see the club take the wages that were spent on the larger squad for Covid purposes condensed and used to bring in quality over quantity this season. 

For me, Alexander deserves immense credit for not only saving us from the relegation mire we faced when Robinson left, but he also navigated the incredibly tricky waters of a season where Covid was wreaking havoc with our game and ensured we not only avoided relegation, but that we're going to secure 6th place at the very least, and the bump in money that finishing 6th over 7th, 8th, or 9th provides. 

With that said, the reset button is hit come the end of the season. He knows what needs to be done to get us back on track, and it's on him to do it. He's got a summer transfer window where he can bring in players based purely on his desire for them to be in his team and not based on needing extra bodies for Covid emergencies, and if we're still playing shit and we're down near 10th come October or November, he'll be facing the sack like any other manager would.

But, let's not kid ourselves on that we're going to start playing like Man City. We all knew what Alexander's teams were like when he came into the job, and more importantly, so did the board. That they hired him in the first place tells you that they place results over entertainment, so we shouldn't expect them to bin the guy due to him not playing entertaining football.

Gary Neville got rid of Alexander at Salford looking for something more easy on the eye, and has since admitted he got it wrong:

"Last season, to be fair, Graham Alexander should have never left this club last season. I should have never made that decision that I made."

And for those claiming Alexander is clueless or a total mug, his record in management doesn't suggest that to be the case at all:

Fleetwood Town - Won promotion via the playoffs in his second season

Scunthorpe United - Took them to the playoffs and narrowly missed out to Millwall, who were promoted to the Championship

Salford City - Won promotion to League Two in his first season, got to the final of the EFL trophy which wasn't played due to Covid.

He knows what he's doing. It may not be pretty on the eye, but he's got a history of getting results and accomplishing what he's hired to do. 

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, David said:

One thing that's worth considering, although I'm perfectly aware that certain people won't, is the Covid situation up until recently.

At the start of the season, Alexander and other managers mentioned the fact that they suddenly had to increase the size of their squads due to the rules around Covid. This didn't mean they had a larger budget to play with though. They found themselves in a position where they had to stretch their current budget to incorporate another load of players who would act as cover if there was an outbreak and players were ruled out due to isolating and suchlike.

The fact that virtually every team outside the top three has been playing like they don't know what a football looks like tells us something. If it was just us, we could point at the manager and ask the question of why all the other clubs are coping fine. But it isn't. It's every club almost. 

So in short, we're probably sitting with a squad a good bit larger than that Alexander would have wanted, and due to that we've had to stretch our budget to accommodate that. 

I imagine that the likes of Victor Nirennold, Justin Amaluzor etc will all quietly disappear. 

Hopefully we see the club take the wages that were spent on the larger squad for Covid purposes condensed and used to bring in quality over quantity this season. 

For me, Alexander deserves immense credit for not only saving us from the relegation mire we faced when Robinson left, but he also navigated the incredibly tricky waters of a season where Covid was wreaking havoc with our game and ensured we not only avoided relegation, but that we're going to secure 6th place at the very least, and the bump in money that finishing 6th over 7th, 8th, or 9th provides. 

With that said, the reset button is hit come the end of the season. He knows what needs to be done to get us back on track, and it's on him to do it. He's got a summer transfer window where he can bring in players based purely on his desire for them to be in his team and not based on needing extra bodies for Covid emergencies, and if we're still playing shit and we're down near 10th come October or November, he'll be facing the sack like any other manager would.

But, let's not kid ourselves on that we're going to start playing like Man City. We all knew what Alexander's teams were like when he came into the job, and more importantly, so did the board. That they hired him in the first place tells you that they place results over entertainment, so we shouldn't expect them to bin the guy due to him not playing entertaining football.

Gary Neville got rid of Alexander at Salford looking for something more easy on the eye, and has since admitted he got it wrong:

"Last season, to be fair, Graham Alexander should have never left this club last season. I should have never made that decision that I made."

And for those claiming Alexander is clueless or a total mug, his record in management doesn't suggest that to be the case at all:

Fleetwood Town - Won promotion via the playoffs in his second season

Scunthorpe United - Took them to the playoffs and narrowly missed out to Millwall, who were promoted to the Championship

Salford City - Won promotion to League Two in his first season, got to the final of the EFL trophy which wasn't played due to Covid.

He knows what he's doing. It may not be pretty on the eye, but he's got a history of getting results and accomplishing what he's hired to do. 

Not interested in his past history it’s the present we have to look at and if he loses the Ross County game he should be shown the door but the cowards in the board room who gave him the new contract won’t have the balls to sack him 

• Haha 1