Alexander.

postiejim

• 2 months later...

Well, this subject has arisen following Thursday's game, so we may as well get it out in the open.

Personally, I think he'll be given until around October or November and if things aren't looking any better by then it'll be time for both parties to shake hands and move on. Simple as that, really.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

He has only been here one season and finished fifth. I know we dont play like the old Barcelona but you cannot question the fact that his record is acceptable.

The age-old adage of using false equivalence to defend a manager's position is tiresome. He's arrogant, stubborn and stupid, making him an appalling football manager. His utter contempt for the fans is also embarrassing. If Sligo put us out, he's as good as finished. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, wellfan said:

The age-old adage of using false equivalence to defend a manager's position is tiresome. He's arrogant, stubborn and stupid, making him an appalling football manager. His utter contempt for the fans is also embarrassing. If Sligo put us out, he's as good as finished. 

You arent being realistic, arrogant and stubborn are excellent attributes for a manager, for example Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho and many more. He needs a lot more time before we can make comments like this. Dont get me wrong I dont like the way we play at the moment but having supported MFC for over 60 years I have seen much more concerning starts from a manager one of them being Tommy McLean and that turned out ok.

• Like 1

The difference with Ferguson, Mourinho etc is that they had the managerial ability and were delivering results which kinda of justified their ‘arrogance’. Now I am fully aware that their remits at the clubs they were at were significantly different to that of Graham Alexander’s at Motherwell, but jammy top six finish and European qualification aside, we have been absolutely awful to watch for over a year. Our form in the majority of that same time has been equally awful and almost to add insult to injury, the manager more often than not tries to tell everyone that black is white and that we have “played well” in debacles like we saw last Thursday night.

There is arrogant and there is arrogant. And Graham Alexander’s arrogance falls into the ‘stubborn to the detriment of the club’ category.

1 hour ago, Winning by Name said:

You arent being realistic, arrogant and stubborn are excellent attributes for a manager, for example Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho and many more. He needs a lot more time before we can make comments like this. Dont get me wrong I dont like the way we play at the moment but having supported MFC for over 60 years I have seen much more concerning starts from a manager one of them being Tommy McLean and that turned out ok.

Imagine mentioning GA in the same breathe as Ferguson and Mourinho I despair for some of our support I really do 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

He won’t be anywhere near finished. If we lose the first half dozen league games then that’s a different matter.

• Like 1

He finished 5th last season, anyone who thinks his job is even remotely in danger is deluded.

Another thing, the apoplectic seethe with which his post match interviews are met with is extremely strange. Every manager in the world uses these as a tool to shield their players. The only time I’ve heard a truly honest post match interview was Terry Butcher at Hibs and it was disastrous. It’s almost as if people can’t wait to hear his interview so they can be fucking raging at it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Another thing, the apoplectic seethe with which his post match interviews are met with is extremely strange. Every manager in the world uses these as a tool to shield their players. The only time I’ve heard a truly honest post match interview was Terry Butcher at Hibs and it was disastrous. It’s almost as if people can’t wait to hear his interview so they can be fucking raging at it.

Exactly. It's a stick-on that what he says behind closed doors to the players is entirely different to what we see on television or hear on the radio.

Let's see what happens after Thursday, if we are still in competition it buys him some time but he really needs to up his game in my opinion.  As for post match interviews I have been critical as they really are insulting the fans intelligence, fans that pay a lot of good money.  We had over 7,000 on Thursday witnessing that performance. To then have your manager say we created '20 chances 'is a joke.  Again these are just my views and I know there are fans that think Alexander is wonderful which is their right but personally I feel change is required. We have a good squad but they aren't being utilised properly.... COYW 

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Let's see what happens after Thursday, if we are still in competition it buys him some time but he really needs to up his game in my opinion.  As for post match interviews I have been critical as they really are insulting the fans intelligence, fans that pay a lot of good money.  We had over 7,000 on Thursday witnessing that performance. To then have your manager say we created '20 chances 'is a joke.  Again these are just my views and I know there are fans that think Alexander is wonderful which is their right but personally I feel change is required. We have a good squad but they aren't being utilised properly.... COYW 

I’ve asked this before but who thinks he’s wonderful ? I don’t know anyone that actually thinks that. People like myself look at his record and think fair enough he’s got credit in the bank but I’m certainly not a huge fan. He will move on at some point and I can’t say I would miss him that much, it will just be another man in the door that some will want out again 12 months later and so it will go on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I’ve asked this before but who thinks he’s wonderful ? I don’t know anyone that actually thinks that. People like myself look at his record and think fair enough he’s got credit in the bank but I’m certainly not a huge fan. He will move on at some point and I can’t say I would miss him that much, it will just be another man in the door that some will want out again 12 months later and so it will go on.

3 wins in 2022 u think that gives him credit in the bank . It’s well seeing u don’t have any emotional ties wae the club can’t remember which club u supported last but it’s time to return there 

5 minutes ago, Yodo said:

3 wins in 2022 u think that gives him credit in the bank . It’s well seeing u don’t have any emotional ties wae the club can’t remember which club u supported last but it’s time to return there 

That's a rather narrow-minded attitude to take. Personally, I don't think it matters why folk are interested in our wee club but all are welcome.

• Like 2

Put plainly, all the peripheral stuff....interviews, post match comments, clothes..... is bullshit and does not really matter. It is only being used by some to deflect from what matters. And it is easier to defend those things than the on field situation.

What matters is the performance and results on the pitch. On that measurement Alexander has been woeful for six months although he deserved some leeway/credit based purely on the results pre Christmas and our position in the League which we thankfully managed to hold on to. 

Based solely on the outcomes this year and in the absence of any improvement over that time I fear for what the future holds if Alexander is allowed to continue (which I think he will be). I emphasise, my concern is not based on a one off game against Sligo. It is based on what I witness game in game out coupled with a refusal by Alexander to acknowledge a change of approach is required. 

Going back as far as Bobby Howitt, I have seen numerous managers come and go. Alexander is not the worst. By quite a distance. In trying to compare him to those others I think he is a bit like Stuart McCall in that he started well and carried fan support. Then it started to go wrong and his stubbornness and determination to be proven correct got in the way of what was good for the Club....... Fraser Kerr wide right to head long punts from the goalkeeper infield in the blind hope of linking up with a striker as an obvious example. How often was that resorted to as Plan B, and sometimes Plan A? 

I hope I am wrong but I have seen nothing to suggest Alexander can reverse the trend we have witnessed for 6 months. But I live in hope of an Alex Ferguson type resurrection.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I totally agree with your last sentence and this lies at the managers door.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Yodo said:

To be honest I show more support to Motherwell than I’ve ever seen from you. The only time you are ever happy is when we lose. You actually want rid of me because I’m positive.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

York city who I still pop in to see when down in Yorkshire for 45 years and Motherwell, is that ok with you ?

Fine wae me bud I’ve supported the Dossers for over 60 year . I hate losing and will always voice my opinion . Won’t ask if u have put any money into the club as we all know how tight Yorkshire men are 

5 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Fine wae me bud I’ve supported the Dossers for over 60 year . I hate losing and will always voice my opinion . Won’t ask if u have put any money into the club as we all know how tight Yorkshire men are 

Aye and Scotsmen are famously generous.