Alexander.

postiejim

9 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Pretty much my view. Every squad needs a few additions every year to keep it fresh and address weak areas but not too many. You don't want massive overhauls that disrupt continuity with new faces taking time to settle in. Continuity/cohesion and stability are vital, but as OTF says you need the right players. Look at St Johnstone under Wright. Not everyone's cup of teaincluding mine, granted, but they got the right players in for them  and their squad was settled for years. Look what they achieved.

Like , many I too was hoping to see some kind of change in the right direction last Thursday but saw no evidence of that. His brand of football isn't easy on the eye but as long as it yields results results, fans will go along with that. When the results don't come then thats a different matter entirely.

I actually thought the brand of football had changed towards the end of last season and on Thursday, in that, we played the ball on the deck a lot more. We were just so painfully slow at moving the ball around, it was easy for Sligo to retain their shape and defend. When anyone tried to zip a pass quickly (Morris/Spittall/Slattery) the recipients first touch let them down badly.  Maybe thats why GA was reverting to hoofball in the first place?

I agree with the refresh thing. Continuity of squad and selection is the hallmark of most successful teams. We have had precious little of either in recent years.

• Like 2

Absolute laughing stock under this clueless clown . Problem is he’s in bed with the clueless photographer larger clown who appointed him and is everyone’s friend because he’s a well fan. 

small little club mentality has stuck this time 

He goes now or they will both drag us down and empty fir park in a matter of weeks 

European tour your having a laugh - couldn’t beat a pub team over two legs. 

There's no way back from this,he needs to go.hes assembled a squad that can't defend,no ability to pass there way through the opposition,no pace,no width and no goal threat.give him his nice little pay off and chase him before he does anymore damage if it's possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Could another manager get more out of this squad? On the basis of tonight, I'm not so sure. The club have allowed Alexander to assemble a squad incapable of creating chances or defending properly. In midfield,  not sure Spittal for O'Hara is an upgrade. Is Maguire better than Donnelly? Morris looks as slow as me. 

He has to go but frankly whoever comes in is inheriting a dreadful squad...

Just now, MelvinBragg said:

Could another manager get more out of this squad? On the basis of tonight, I'm not so sure. The club have allowed Alexander to assemble a squad incapable of creating chances or defending properly. In midfield,  not sure Spittal for O'Hara is an upgrade. Is Maguire better than Donnelly? Morris looks as slow as me. 

He has to go but frankly whoever comes in is inheriting a dreadful squad...

I think a new manager would at least instill some confidence in the players and bring new tactics...GA will never change unfortunately and the players have absolutely no confidence or ability under him. At what point do you say enough is enough?.  after 12 losses?...already happened...after being kicked out of Europe with the poorest performance over two legs in living memory? lose three goals without response home and away to a league of Ireland side?...dropping players in form and sticking with out of form players with no confidence?...signing players who already look absolutely out their depth. He has signed a deal until 2025 and sacking him is going to cost the club a fair whack when the rest of his team is sacked along with him.

1 minute ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'm not saying don't sack him. I'm saying simply sacking him won't save us. I'm suggesting we need to sack him and sign 5 or 6 players. Far from easy at this stage of the season but that's what is required...

Sack Alexander who is on a contract until 2025 and his backroom team will cost in excess over half a million? we dont have that money to burn and have money for 4-5 new players and a new manager and his backroom team as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Well Well said:

Sack Alexander who is on a contract until 2025 and his backroom team will cost in excess over half a million? we dont have that money to burn and have money for 4-5 new players and a new manager and his backroom team as well. 

Which is why I don’t expect it to happen.

5 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I was prepared to give him a chance but  after watching that pish tonight he has to go now, those tactics and refusal to change will  get us relegated, so for me feck the cost and get him  to feck, what's the cheaper option sacking GA or the cost of relegation, get him to feck.

3 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I don't disagree. Just telling you what I think needs to happen for us to have anything resembling a functioning team. Sacking Alexander may seem a slight improvement in player's morale and a slight bump in performances but it won't solve the major problems....

There's no way the club would have handed alexander and his team longer contracts without a back up plan,if they need to sack him the money will be there,no way would have put ourselves into a position where we're stuck with a failing manager.

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

I was prepared to give him a chance but  after watching that pish tonight he has to go now, those tactics and refusal to change will  get us relegated, do for me feck the cost and get him  to feck, what's the cheaper option sacking GA or the cost of relegation, get him to feck.

I’m still of the opinion he will be given a few league games. Relegation would certainly cost the club more but without a game even being played yet, and given the fact they trusted him enough to keep in in the summer it would be some u turn. Relegation is never a certainly regardless of how often it’s stated, at this point it’s certainly not positive, but it’s not bottom two with two games to play either. 

34 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I was prepared to give him a chance but  after watching that pish tonight he has to go now, those tactics and refusal to change will  get us relegated, so for me feck the cost and get him  to feck, what's the cheaper option sacking GA or the cost of relegation, get him to feck.

33 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I don't disagree. Just telling you what I think needs to happen for us to have anything resembling a functioning team. Sacking Alexander may seem a slight improvement in player's morale and a slight bump in performances but it won't solve the major problems....

27 minutes ago, mfc said:

There's no way the club would have handed alexander and his team longer contracts without a back up plan,if they need to sack him the money will be there,no way would have put ourselves into a position where we're stuck with a failing manager.

I dont disagree with getting rid but people need to see the cold hard facts, you cant worm yourself out of a contract. The club wouldn't do it because

1. No player or manager would join this club if they thought the contract wasn't worth the paper its written on

2. The club would be taken to court and would lose heavily having to pay considerable legal costs and compensation

3. Reputational damage would be immense.

I understand the emotions tonight,  however, its wishful thinking that the club has special arrangements or clauses in contracts where they can get rid without paying compensation or minimal compensation that suits the club. That is dream land stuff. IF the club have a clause I would imagine a set fixed compensation of some sort would be there or the extension has a clause that means he must hit certain targets/milestones for it to be triggered (most companies do these type of contracts)

I feel the same about GA and if he had any decency he would at least offer his resignation but the club will need to weigh up the financial costs of sacking him if he doesn't and his backroom team.

The club would also need to find funds to employ a new manager and backroom team AND find funds for new players....whilst letting go of players under contract to make way for the new guys to balance the books as much as possible. This would be paying off the balance of their contracts or at the absolute best them agreeing to leave and find a new club. Would you agree to leave when you have a guaranteed wage for two plus years for an unknown future with no wages and hoping another team will take you on when the league has already started?

I personally don't think we can afford all of that as a club despite our healthy bank balance.

54 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

The club has allowed Alexander to assemble a squad incapable of creating chances or defending properly. In midfield,  not sure Spittal for O'Hara is an upgrade. Is Maguire better than Donnelly? Morris looks as slow as me. 

That’s it in a nutshell.  The worst squad of players I’ve ever seen at Fir Park.  And I’ve been supporting them since 1967.  It’s truly sad to see how far the club has fallen since Robinson left and I fear we haven’t stopped falling.

• Like 2