Alexander.

postiejim

I say this within 5 mins of young Spiers debut a Motherwell born local lad folk were posting he is shite,not fit,don't fancy him much doesn't look a player.

Kelly speaks his mind being open and it's hang him high,might not turn up for us now,might not put in the effort.

Blows my mind and I won't be shocked if Kelly  might even go  this transfer window and I wouldn't hold it against him.

Football is about opinions but some folk really need to have a look at themselves it's embarrassing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The future for clubs our size has to be developing young local talent.

It certainly should be, even HAS to be. The problem is that no-one in the top division has the patience or the balls to make it a priority. I think clubs see it as too much of a risk in the short term with the threat of relegation.

1 hour ago, wellup83 said:

It certainly should be, even HAS to be. The problem is that no-one in the top division has the patience or the balls to make it a priority. I think clubs see it as too much of a risk in the short term with the threat of relegation.

That is certainly true.

The way I look at it though, is that the quality of exeprienced player we are able to bring in now has fallen so low, the risk of playing a young player you have faith in is becoming negligible.

Id much rather watch a team of our youngsters have a go an develop than a group of journeyman that are never going to improve.

Balancing the two is the trick, and finding a manager brave enough and with the skills to do is the key.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I say this within 5 mins of young Spiers debut a Motherwell born local lad folk were posting he is shite,not fit,don't fancy him much doesn't look a player.

Kelly speaks his mind being open and it's hang him high,might not turn up for us now,might not put in the effort.

Blows my mind and I won't be shocked if Kelly  might even go  this transfer window and I wouldn't hold it against him.

Football is about opinions but some folk really need to have a look at themselves it's embarrassing.

I dont think Kelly is going to make a decision on where he plays his football off the back of criticism from a minority of reactionary idiots who really should know better.

He got a standing ovation leaving the pitch yesterday. He knows the majority of fans appreciate him.

We may well lose him in Junuary, butnit wil be because another club with more money recognises his talent too.

As I've said many times in the past, the entire point of an Academy is develop a quality of player we could never afford to buy - with a secondary important benefit of generating revenue when we sell players on.

One of the bigger challenges we (and lots of clubs our size) face these days is getting any games from the young talent as bigger clubs come in and poach them before they sign their senior contracts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

As I've said many times in the past, the entire point of an Academy is develop a quality of player we could never afford to buy - with a secondary important benefit of generating revenue when we sell players on.

One of the bigger challenges we (and lots of clubs our size) face these days is getting any games from the young talent as bigger clubs come in and poach them before they sign their senior contracts.

And that’s not going to get any easier. Even then all we are doing is developing players for the likes of Rangers and Celtic. Yes we can make some money at times but they spend little time in the first team before moving on.

10 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Unfortunately we've had that rep for years

Not sure I understand this comment.  Unless everyone is lying most Managers and players I recall have said this is a very stable club with a supportive Board. 

Finances tend to dictate overall and we simply don’t have the budget to get the better or best Managers or players. 

The reality is that as a result most of the players we bring to the club will not be a Moult, Kipre, Marv Johnson. Probably one in 7-10 players will have that impact or probably even lower odds. 

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Not sure I understand this comment.  Unless everyone is lying most Managers and players I recall have said this is a very stable club with a supportive Board. 

Finances tend to dictate overall and we simply don’t have the budget to get the better or best Managers or players. 

The reality is that as a result most of the players we bring to the club will not be a Moult, Kipre, Marv Johnson. Probably one in 7-10 players will have that impact or probably even lower odds. 

We have one of the worst supports in football, no patience and one of the most toxic.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

We have one of the worst supports in football, no patience and one of the most toxic.

That we are agreed on. 
I was in Sligo and the abuse at the Manager and players was OTT.

The high (low) point came when a fan launched a foul mouth verbal tirade at Liam Kelly for a full on two minutes during the 2nd half. Kelly was clearly at a loss how to react other than to roll his eyes and hold his arms up.  Their reaction if told to shut up is usually to threaten physical abuse or as some sadly witnessed actual physical abuse !! 

48 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

We do have an element whose behaviour is embarrassing and can be toxic but you have an element like that at every club.

We need an appointment that can really get the fans on board. I don't think someone like say Tommy Wright is going to get the fans excited and thankfully the Robbo one looked like a non story.

2 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

That we are agreed on. 

The high (low) point came when a fan launched a foul mouth verbal tirade at Liam Kelly for a full on two minutes during the 2nd half. Kelly was clearly at a loss how to react other than to roll his eyes and hold his arms up.  Their reaction if told to shut up is usually to threaten physical abuse or as some sadly witnessed actual physical abuse !! 

That just beggars belief...like I said....we have an element whose behaviour is an embarrassment 

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

We do have an element whose behaviour is embarrassing and can be toxic but you have an element like that at every club.

We need an appointment that can really get the fans on board. I don't think someone like say Tommy Wright is going to get the fans excited and thankfully the Robbo one looked like a non story.

I would say, when fans of other clubs comment on the state of our home fans berating the team you have a bigger problem than an element like that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

I would say, when fans of other clubs comment on the state of our home fans berating the team you have a bigger problem than an element like that.

Will take your word for it pal, I don't read comments from other fans. But can't disagree that there is an element where behaviour is shocking 

We appear to have a proven working academy which produces a couple of players a year. There is a clear pathway to the first team but unfortunately, as we all know, the cream of the crop leaves before we even see them and all we can hope for is that they generate future income but at the moment it seems like it’s the Well society that’s paying for the academy. 
The other youngsters who make it through to the first team are the hard working young players who will become professional players at or around our level, decent players who sometimes make mistakes but on the whole put in a shift and hopefully don’t get to much abuse. There very unlikely to be stars who go on to greater things but if we’re lucky they might just exceed everyone’s expectations. 
As said these guys need more experienced guys around them and this is where the club has to target it’s small resources alongside taking a punt on one or two guys who can generate a return. 
Bottom line is that free flowing exciting football plays second fiddle to the reality of trying to stay in the premiership. 

Ideally everyone promoted from the academy can go on to have a decent professional career, whether it's for us or elsewhere.

There will be some that get plucked before getting a game for us, and others that will excel and go for a few quid after a good season, maybe two. But we could really do with bringing through a few that are decent at our level and can rack up 100+ games. I'd rather have players we've brought through filling those roles than an endless cycle of English lower league jobbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

Yes, but we are talking about OUR club!

TBF though the guy's comment was targeting a posters comment on how "we have one of the worst supports in football", which is an absolutely wild opinion IMO, yes we have arseholes in our support but considering the regular behaviour of the Old Firm and some of the behaviour of Aberdeen, Hibs and St Mirren fans on their respective visits to Fir Park last season we are no where near being the worst in our own country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

That we are agreed on. 

This was a separate issue and nothing in the context of this debate. Appreciate its not a good look & regrettable for both parties but, matter has been concluded amicably.

11 hours ago, pretzel said:

TBF though the guy's comment was targeting a posters comment on how "we have one of the worst supports in football", which is an absolutely wild opinion IMO, yes we have arseholes in our support but considering the regular behaviour of the Old Firm and some of the behaviour of Aberdeen, Hibs and St Mirren fans on their respective visits to Fir Park last season we are no where near being the worst in our own country.

One of the worst for berating mistakes and players instantly, it goes from 0-10 very quickly, no one is questioning whether we have arseholes in our support, we have a reputation for getting on the team's back quickly

It does blow my mind how a manager saves you from relegation gets you a top six finish but has to put up with regular abuse to a manager Ie Robinson left us in said relegation mess,football was just as bad if not worse gets a standing ovation when he returns with St Mirren Something not right with that.Seem to have a fan base with a very selective mind.

Worst fans I don't think so,some toxic entitled fans it's the kinda folk who have the I paid my money mentality so I can act as I want mindset all clubs have them.

49 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

It does blow my mind how a manager saves you from relegation gets you a top six finish but has to put up with regular abuse to a manager Ie Robinson left us in said relegation mess,football was just as bad if not worse gets a standing ovation when he returns with St Mirren Something not right with that.Seem to have a fan base with a very selective mind.

Worst fans I don't think so,some toxic entitled fans it's the kinda folk who have the I paid my money mentality so I can act as I want mindset all clubs have them.

did robbo not get us out of relegation bother after Mcghee and 2 cup finals and a 3rd place finish? so i suppose , in the main, he will be remembered fondly...

10 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

It does blow my mind how a manager saves you from relegation gets you a top six finish but has to put up with regular abuse to a manager Ie Robinson left us in said relegation mess,football was just as bad if not worse gets a standing ovation when he returns with St Mirren

Alexander started well,  saved us from going down, last season got us of to a great start in the league, sitting 3rd by Christmas , then it all went wrong, fallouts with senior players , top goal scorer moving to a rival team mid season and our results were shocking, we will never know what started it but for me the dressing room was gone then.

Due to other teams being a shite as us we managed to scrape into the top 6 with the last kick of the ball at livingston and eventually claimed a Euro spot.  However that only covered up the problems Alexander came across as arrogant and unwilling to change his ways to get results, not playing senior pros ie SOD and generally looking like he did not giving a feck he was out of ideas.

In some ways the Sligo defeats as embarrassing as they were done the club a massive favour by finally getting rid of him, because if he had stayed we would be getting more of the same from him this season.  So will he be remembered fondly if he ever turns up at Fir park with another team no chance, for me he will be remembered as the manager who ruined a potentially good season by his arrogance and inability to manage a team and got us pumped by an Irish league team.

• Like 2

Alexander had the chance to sort things out this summer and blew it. He chose to pick fights with Woolery and O'Donnell that weakened the squad and didn't have the players match fit for a game with a lot of prize money at stake. 

We don't know what his discussions and targets were with Burrows and the board for the beginning of this season but if they weren't telling him we need better results than he's produced since January and we need to show up in Europe then something is very wrong. 

• Like 1