Alexander.

postiejim

I think the dignity with which McGhee handled the events after the tragic death of Phil O’Donnell is an abiding memory of his tenure.

He was rank rotten in his second stint in charge, but even then, some of the abuse he took was way over the top.

Alexander seemed to go from being a decent appointment to being bereft of ideas as soon as he signed his contract extension.

Agree that McGhee was excellent first time around .

Had us playing some terrific football . Even mcgarry looked like a top player 

GAs style was horrendous , somehow we managed to win games and went on a long streak playing the worst footy ever and got to 4th .

the club extended his contract knowing how poor the style of footy was - the blame lies with the club rather than GA . He was always quite up front about his approach .

10 hours ago, The African said:

I think the dignity with which McGhee handled the events after the tragic death of Phil O’Donnell is an abiding memory of his tenure.

He was rank rotten in his second stint in charge, but even then, some of the abuse he took was way over the top.

Alexander seemed to go from being a decent appointment to being bereft of ideas as soon as he signed his contract extension.

Agree totally, I think a lot of folk forget how he handled the Phil O'Donnell tragedy. He was a rock and helped the players. That cup tie at Tynecastle will forever be in my memory.

The big mistake was Burrows asking him back. Was never going to work

7 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

For me 2022 is probably the worst footballing year I have witnessed on the football side of things

It was dire from two different managers  was a total horror show.

Looking back it was a good learning season and just goes to show how important is the managerial appointment is. I have always thought that a half decent manager can do well in this league even with a bang average squad.

So was it pure luck to bring Kettlewell into the club or an inspired look into the future who knows but i am delighted it has worked out so well for him, however as much as i have critisied the recruitment the January transfers certainly made the difference as well. Hope we don't start next season with the same shambles Alexander left us with.

9 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

The big mistake was Burrows asking him back. Was never going to work

100% this. It was easily the worst of our many ‘jobs for the boys/old pals’ moves in the last decade.

Mark McGhee first time around was the best managerial appointment that John Boyle made in his time. The way he turned that team around in summer ‘07 to deliver some sublime football, a third placed finish, European football and all while dealing with the tragic death of Phil O’Donnell was an incredible feat. 

The problem thereafter was that from 2008 onwards McGhee had clearly decided that he was too good for us and spent the majority of the next season virtually making no secret about that. He was obviously going to leave that summer and when the Celtic and Aberdeen jobs became available on the same day he hung about here for as long as he could in the hope he would get the Celtic one, before eventually accepting Aberdeen. Meanwhile we were sitting with a squad of out of contract players and a manager with no intention of staying. That left a bad taste in the mouth as he basically treated the club with contempt.

To bring him back after all that in 2015 was a ridiculous move and his behaviour and attitude was no better. 

The quote that always stands out is “this is why, and please don’t misinterpret me here, I am managing Motherwell today and not Liverpool”. 

It takes a really special type of arrogant walloper to disrespect the club you are employed by during a press conference like that but that cap certainly fits McGhee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, MJC said:

100% this. It was easily the worst of our many ‘jobs for the boys/old pals’ moves in the last decade.

Mark McGhee first time around was the best managerial appointment that John Boyle made in his time. The way he turned that team around in summer ‘07 to deliver some sublime football, a third placed finish, European football and all while dealing with the tragic death of Phil O’Donnell was an incredible feat. 

The problem thereafter was that from 2008 onwards McGhee had clearly decided that he was too good for us and spent the majority of the next season virtually making no secret about that. He was obviously going to leave that summer and when the Celtic and Aberdeen jobs became available on the same day he hung about here for as long as he could in the hope he would get the Celtic one, before eventually accepting Aberdeen. Meanwhile we were sitting with a squad of out of contract players and a manager with no intention of staying. That left a bad taste in the mouth as he basically treated the club with contempt.

To bring him back after all that in 2015 was a ridiculous move and his behaviour and attitude was no better. 

The quote that always stands out is “this is why, and please don’t misinterpret me here, I am managing Motherwell today and not Liverpool”. 

It takes a really special type of arrogant walloper to disrespect the club you are employed by during a press conference like that but that cap certainly fits McGhee.

Remember the one after a defeat at Falkirk as well in his first spell 

“I’m not here to please the fans , I’m only here to manage the team “

I will say one thing about Marky boy , he had confidence in his own ability, my first thought when I heard he was coming back in 2015 was , aw naw no him again 

20 hours ago, Coatsy said:

Looking back it was a good learning season and just goes to show how important is the managerial appointment is. I have always thought that a half decent manager can do well in this league even with a bang average squad.

So was it pure luck to bring Kettlewell into the club or an inspired look into the future who knows but i am delighted it has worked out so well for him, however as much as i have critisied the recruitment the January transfers certainly made the difference as well. Hope we don't start next season with the same shambles Alexander left us with.

The addition of butcher and Casey can't be overstated, Sunday showed what the defence could've been like without them

Big Mugabe seems a cracking guy but he's just not got it

Not to forget it was Stevie hammel who recruited them , that's not to dismiss what ketts has done as well ...still say hammy was a victim of timing, hopefully he gets a chance somewhere along the line

1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Not to forget it was Stevie hammel who recruited them , that's not to dismiss what ketts has done as well ...still say hammy was a victim of timing, hopefully he gets a chance somewhere along the line

The problem was Hammy wouldn't change from his 4 at the back system, which was not working. Perhaps if he had, he might still be in a job, not sitting in the house.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Remember the one after a defeat at Falkirk as well in his first spell 

“I’m not here to please the fans , I’m only here to manage the team “

I will say one thing about Marky boy , he had confidence in his own ability, my first thought when I heard he was coming back in 2015 was , aw naw no him again 

I remember that, as well as “I want MY players to aim higher than Motherwell”.

I’ve no problem with players or managers having self confidence, even when it borders on arrogance. The great players and managers in the game have tended to have a degree of arrogance about them. The difference with McGhee was that his self confidence/arrogance was all about him on a personal level, not the club and that’s what I couldn’t stand about him. There was always this “I’m better than Motherwell” attitude about him and he made very little attempt to disguise that.