Alexander.

postiejim

He looks like a manager that's been here for 3 years and he's ran out of ideas and not a manager that's in his first full season and be allowed to bring in several new players over the summer.its clear for all to see the formation and approach to games clearly isn't working the now and needs to be changed,the sooner it happens the better.

We have issues that run beyond the manager, I’ve said that before and I’ll say it again. I don’t care how many times we ‘overhaul’ our recruitment team, we are still incapable of making signings that make a difference.

That said Alexanders pig headed stubbornness when it comes to line ups and tactics is doing him no favours whatsoever.

• Like 1

4 3 3 is not working. Alexander seems incapable if seeing that. We're getting overrun in midfield every week which leaves us exposed defensively. We can't rely on the front 3 to take the pressure off so it's not working. We yet again allowed so many crosses into our box today. Surely after that debacle a formation change must happen. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richie said:

What worries me is the "We played well" soundbites.
We've been absolutely grim in the main.
Broadly brushed over after wins, but when you start losing playing that way its pathetic.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I said on another thread, I heard a pre-match interview where he said that 'Even although the last couple of results hadn't gone our way our stats were amazing and that gives us confidence for today'. That is just delusion, plain and simple.

1 minute ago, AllyMax said:

I said on another thread, I heard a pre-match interview where he said that 'Even although the last couple of results hadn't gone our way our stats were amazing and that gives us confidence for today'. That is just delusion, plain and simple.

The stats for the st mirren game were dire,they had like 60 odd percent possession,far more efforts at goal and alexander got confidence from that going into today's game against a team that were always going to have more shots and possession anyway.it looks like he's trying to bluff us with stuff about stats to cover his own failings as manager.

The guy doing the summing up on sky sports would give you a team on the park you would love to watch and could connect with.
Think Alex Neil or a similar character is what’s needed . Tactically savvy he spoke more sense in five minutes than Alexander could ever do . I’ve got to the point I can’t even listen to Alexanders waffle any more.

Even Faddy looks like he’s done with the tactics. Call it what you want Hoofball or Alexanderball but it certainly isn’t football that’s for sure

Do us all a favour Alexander and take your abysmal football training manual with you . It’s is a brutal watch . You must be the only person who thinks this is entertaining .

Can see a lot of fans turning there back on this crap till he’s gone . The fans ain’t daft and all Alexanders bullshit won’t  wash . 

Ive said before that the best way to defend is to keep possession of the ball. We simply dont do that, so we never have a platform to play from which limits the opportunity to create chances for our forward players.  Until we sort that aspect of our play out we will continue to see similar performances and results.

I dont really care what the formation is, but we need to set up in a way where we dont get overun in midfield and actually have numbers in there that allow us to keep the ball. Once we do that we can see about getting bodies forward to create chances, as I do believe we have players in the squad that can hurt teams and score goals.

It would be foolish to be shouting for the managers head at this stage, but he must be able to demonstrate that he can see that there is a problem and be astute enough to make the changes that will fix that problem.  

Unfortunately, Im starting to fear he is too stubborn to accept that......

12 minutes ago, mfc said:

The stats for the st mirren game were dire,they had like 60 odd percent possession,far more efforts at goal and alexander got confidence from that going into today's game against a team that were always going to have more shots and possession anyway.it looks like he's trying to bluff us with stuff about stats to cover his own failings as manager.

I agree with all the negative comments on Alexander but if you look at a few of the games prior to St Mirren the stats for shots and shots on target Vs the opposition have been pretty decent. However he has to look beyond that and think how much better would the stats be (and points tally) if he actually had the right formation, tactics And players.  We may have a 4 3 3 formation but we are not playing a 4 3 3 style of football because our middle 3 are not strong or skilled enough to play that style but what we do get is all of the negative downsides of not being able to implement 4 3 3 properly. Why he does not see that I’ll never know. 

54 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

We have issues that run beyond the manager, I’ve said that before and I’ll say it again. I don’t care how many times we ‘overhaul’ our recruitment team, we are still incapable of making signings that make a difference.

This.

The standard of player that's being brought in has stunk beyond this manager and even the previous manager.

I've said for a while that our transfer policy needs looking at as we have often been linked with a player under one manager and then brought them in under a different manager.  

I also think our youth system has gone backwards but to be fair a lot of that is beyond Motherwell's control and much of the responsibility for that lies with the clowns that run Scottish football.  I think we should still be doing better though.

He needs to change things full stop. The football and lack of possession will lose him support over time regardless of results, it’s pretty grim to watch. We don’t have the midfielders for the formation and I’m really surprised. he’s still not changed that aspect when it’s clearly not working. Saying that I hate chopping and changing managers because it rarely works, how many time under Robinsons tenure did people want him out because of course the grass is always greener, it rarely is.  Nope we need to stick with him for the season and see how things develop. He’s supposedly gone with quality over quantity which most people wanted and as much as I’m sure many will say that’s not actually happened I believe it has.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Ive said before that the best way to defend is to keep possession of the ball. We simply dont do that, so we never have a platform to play from which limits the opportunity to create chances for our forward players.  Until we sort that aspect of our play out we will continue to see similar performances and results.

I dont really care what the formation is, but we need to set up in a way where we dont get overun in midfield and actually have numbers in there that allow us to keep the ball. Once we do that we can see about getting bodies forward to create chances, as I do believe we have players in the squad that can hurt teams and score goals.

It would be foolish to be shouting for the managers head at this stage, but he must be able to demonstrate that he can see that there is a problem and be astute enough to make the changes that will fix that problem.  

Unfortunately, Im starting to fear he is too stubborn to accept that......

Sums up our current position well.

Watched Newcastle v Cheslea las night who had all players too deep, got the ball, kicked it to the half way line giving the ball back to the opposition and repeat.

Couldn't help but see the similarities with our approach to every game this season.  These tactics don't work long term - unless you have a sensational team on the break - which we don't

28 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

He needs to change things full stop. The football and lack of possession will lose him support over time regardless of results, it’s pretty grim to watch. We don’t have the midfielders for the formation and I’m really surprised. he’s still not changed that aspect when it’s clearly not working. Saying that I hate chopping and changing managers because it rarely works, how many time under Robinsons tenure did people want him out because of course the grass is always greener, it rarely is.  Nope we need to stick with him for the season and see how things develop. He’s supposedly gone with quality over quantity which most people wanted and as much as I’m sure many will say that’s not actually happened I believe it has.

It's greener than it was when we were 11th and sitting on 19 points in January '21.

And Robinson had league runs of 1 win in 14 and another of 1 win in 13.  Alexander longest run is 5.

There is currently no comparison between Alexander and Robinsons performance.  If at any point there is, I certainly won't be defending him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It's greener than it was when we were 11th and sitting on 19 points in January '21.

And Robinson had league runs of 1 win in 14 and another of 1 win in 13.  Alexander longest run is 5.

There is currently no comparison between Alexander and Robinsons performance.  If at any point there is, I certainly won't be defending him.

if we continue like this, it could go that way, robbo seemed more tactically astute imo

I was all I favour of GA and not calling for his head....but.....there is a stubbornness and arrogance I don't like and seems totally clueless.  The 4 3 3 is a farce and the tactics of allowing opposition space to put in crosses is embarrassing.  I played amateur football for 25 years and never once remember a team talk of 'stand off opposition and let them put in crosses',  Alex Neil at game today....tell ye what,  if things don't lmprove I would give him a call 

• Like 1

Before Alexander arrived it was always stop the cross  coming in and deal with it when it comes into the box . That’s what you do 

A don’t think Alex Neil could believe what he was watching . And yes would take him as a manager in a heartbeat . No bullshit like current manager . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, postiejim said:

No not  "Alexander out.....yet. 

But do you think we've actually improved under Alexander, and if you don't think we have do you think we will?

Have you forgotten how bad we were before he arrived? We were in the relegation mix.

A rebuilt squad needs time to gel and if someone had told you we'd be equal 6th on points after the first round of fixtures you have side "that's fine". And common wisdom is that it takes 3 or 4 windows for a manager to get the squad he wants.

If we're back in the relegation mix in March it might be time to re-assess, but right now we're doing better than I thought we would by October.

The simplest thing is get back to when we were winning. 

Back four of Mugabi, Sol, Ojala, Carroll. Tony Watt through the middle. 

There is obviously a lot of egotism involved in being a manager that means a new guy can come in and see all the previous managers errors but can't see where he goes wrong. 

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The simplest thing is get back to when we were winning. 

Back four of Mugabi, Sol, Ojala, Carroll. Tony Watt through the middle. 

There is obviously a lot of egotism involved in being a manager that means a new guy can come in and see all the previous managers errors but can't see where he goes wrong. 

Can’t ever see mugabi getting a game at right back ahead of SOD. 

I don’t think we’re playing any differently to when we had our run . Luck ran out.

The 1-1 game with rangers is a good example - they missed a ton of chances that day - vs today they buried them .

there’s been a case to change formation since pre season when  2nd tier teams controlled most of the game - but we got points earlier and put  up with the dross .

mid we start winning I suspect we will continue to accept points over performance - in short I don’t see GA having any flex to his very limited style 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Can’t ever see mugabi getting a game at right back ahead of SOD. 

I don’t think we’re playing any differently to when we had our run . Luck ran out.

The 1-1 game with rangers is a good example - they missed a ton of chances that day - vs today they buried them .

there’s been a case to change formation since pre season when  2nd tier teams controlled most of the game - but we got points earlier and put  up with the dross .

mid we start winning I suspect we will continue to accept points over performance - in short I don’t see GA having any flex to his very limited style 

Exactly, we've run out of luck. We didn't 'dominate' any of the teams we've beaten this season and pretty much everyone has dominated us in terms of possession and chances. We were just lucky enough to have taken the couple of chances we had, while they didn't.  If you spend 70% of every game frantically defending in and around your own box, then it's going to back fire more often than not.

The better footballers in the side like Watt must be frustrated as fuck with being asked to get on the end of long balls and draw fouls and a centre forward like KVV must wonder why the fuck he's being asked to collect ball on the halfway line and the touchline constantly. It makes no sense.

I am not an Alexander out man yet but his team selections are shocking . O, Donnell played 9 league games we got 6 points he missed 3 games we got 9 points . Carroll has 2nd most assists in league yet missed last 8 league games had 3 assists in 4 games . His replacement does not tackle , does not block crosses and thinks he’s a central defender as never in his position yet plays every week . Until Alexander ditches the current 2 full backs we are going nowhere at least 1 suspended next game 

37 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Exactly, we've run out of luck. We didn't 'dominate' any of the teams we've beaten this season and pretty much everyone has dominated us in terms of possession and chances. We were just lucky enough to have taken the couple of chances we had, while they didn't.  If you spend 70% of every game frantically defending in and around your own box, then it's going to back fire more often than not.

The better footballers in the side like Watt must be frustrated as fuck with being asked to get on the end of long balls and draw fouls and a centre forward like KVV must wonder why the fuck he's being asked to collect ball on the halfway line and the touchline constantly. It makes no sense.

KVV must wonder why he was signed  - our style of play just doesn't work for him.

Just looked through some of the stats.  We''ve ranged from 25% possession when we beat Aberdeen to max of 50%. Against the OF it's less than 30%, against most its 40%.  

More worrying is we allow the opposition somewhere between 5-15 shots on our goal. We're lucky that the standard of most teams has been poor.

Why GA thinks this is a good tactic is beyond me.  What we work on in training (other than pure fitness) is also baffling .  I just don't see any signs of us working on playing football. 

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Have you forgotten how bad we were before he arrived? We were in the relegation mix.

A rebuilt squad needs time to gel and if someone had told you we'd be equal 6th on points after the first round of fixtures you have side "that's fine". And common wisdom is that it takes 3 or 4 windows for a manager to get the squad he wants.

If we're back in the relegation mix in March it might be time to re-assess, but right now we're doing better than I thought we would by October.

Good post weeyin, it’s all about opinions .