Alexander.

postiejim

I'm willing to give it another go next season.

I think the quality of the squad individually is better with a team that really doesn't know how to get the ball down and pass, yet individually they have capabilities.

3 months max if we start badly.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Debate over ?

I've never been a fan of binning the manager this season, but I'll happily admit that this is a debate that is never over. And neither it should be.

He's done a great job overall this season. Top six finish, European football secured. Fantastic, and he and the team deserve a lot of credit.

But come the end of the season it's done and dusted. Ground zero, so to speak. It's then on him to make some good moves in the transfer market, identify where we've been lacking and address those issues, and the new season is a fresh slate.

If we're sitting 9th or 10th in October or November and the style of football and results haven't improved, his results this season will count for nothing. 

• Like 1

The last 2 results have been magic and to be in Europe is great achievement.  However,  we could have had Europe signed and sealed a while back if GA had got team selections, tactics correct.  I am still not convinced about him but you know what, I am hoping he has maybe learned a lot also in past 5 months and possibly and hopefully this could be a turning point.  I am prepared to give him the summer transfer window and the chance to bring in better quality and hopefully clear out players that are simply not good enough.   If come say October no improvement then change is required.  Anyway let's all enjoy the moment and prepare for Europe...COYW

I had my doubts we would get over the finishing line after recent results since January,  though happy to admit I was wrong

No question GA will be here next season,  and rightly so, without a doubt other results have went in our favour this season though could not care about that today

If Alexander isn't here next season it will be because a bigger club have come and taken him from us. I don't see it happening but it's a lot more likely than us getting rid of him.

He's done the job asked of him and more, that's the simple truth of it. There's things that we'd like to see more of, youth getting more of a chance and a more exciting brand of football being the obvious ones and I imagine the board would like to see some players being sold for profit as well.

So the debate (if there was one to be had) is settled for now, but with that said Robinson had just finished third and had done some excellent transfer dealings with young players to make the club some good money and he was still gone by January. McCall had back to back second place finishes but was gone by January-ish.

Right now the manager deserves his plaudits and has a job to rebuild for next year.

There aren't really many youths missing out. Cornelius has had his breakthrough season and is a real first team player now and Max Johnson has been playing for QOTS.  Sam Campbell on the bench last night is only 18, it's not like we have 19 ,20, 21 year olds kicking their heels, most of our best prospects in that age bracket left for transfer fees.  Dundee United have been played a few teenagers recently and hopefully we will take that approach with the next crop of youths who the club rate very highly.

Since the January restart I had the impression that Alexander was less than 100% committed to the job and might have been looking back down south.  The next few months are vital in terms of bringing in the correct quality of players, doing our best in Europe and being ready to compete for top 6 and Hampden from August rather than the transitional start we had to put up with this season. Hopefully he is focussed on that.

• Thanks 1

So let me get this right.We finish top half,no less than fifth,get into Europe and folk are still greeting people really need to get over this anti Alexander when it's clearly working.If it wasn't working then out the door but clearly it is.

Bailed out the cup by the worst red card of the season,finished higher than a few clubs with bigger budgets aswell.Whats even worse on Twitter reading so called fans a few games ago hoping we got beat and Alexander got sacked beyond a shameful.

Saved us last season from horrible mess Robinson left us in and get us in Europe top half finish following season and folk still crying.

God help him if he hasn't spilt the old firm next season then eh?. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, steelboy said:

There aren't really many youths missing out. Cornelius has had his breakthrough season and is a real first team player now and Max Johnson has been playing for QOTS.  Sam Campbell on the bench last night is only 18, it's not like we have 19 ,20, 21 year olds kicking their heels, most of our best prospects in that age bracket left for transfer fees.  Dundee United have been played a few teenagers recently and hopefully we will take that approach with the next crop of youths who the club rate very highly.

Since the January restart I had the impression that Alexander was less than 100% committed to the job and might have been looking back down south.  The next few months are vital in terms of bringing in the correct quality of players, doing our best in Europe and being ready to compete for top 6 and Hampden from August rather than the transitional start we had to put up with this season. Hopefully he is focussed on that.

What basis do you have for saying that?

27 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

So let me get this right.We finish top half,no less than fifth,get into Europe and folk are still greeting people really need to get over this anti Alexander when it's clearly working.If it wasn't working then out the door but clearly it is.

Bailed out the cup by the worst red card of the season,finished higher than a few clubs with bigger budgets aswell.Whats even worse on Twitter reading so called fans a few games ago hoping we got beat and Alexander got sacked beyond a shameful.

Saved us last season from horrible mess Robinson left us in and get us in Europe top half finish following season and folk still crying.

God help him if he hasn't spilt the old firm next season then eh?. 

As Alexander himself often says, it's about fine margins. No last second goal from Lamie, no top 6, no Europe. Highlights how close it's been between relative success and relative failure this season.

I think the football's been utterly stinking to watch, but total credit to everyone involved, they got us there in the end, so the manager deserves another go. My expectations for next season would be staying up, a general improvement in the ability levels within a sleeker squad and hopefully a decent run in one of the cups. More than that would be a bonus.

As for anyone saying they want us to get beat, whatever their supposed justification, they were never a fan in the first place.

27 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

What basis do you have for saying that?

The bizarre team selections, a style of play and tactics that that made it impossible to believe that training was going well and the lack of subs which gave the impression that we were less than fully committed during matches. The January signings weren't great either and Alexander must have known they were not what we needed.

Whenever we have went off form to that extent in the past it always comes down the manager no longer being focused on the job. This squad aren't world beaters but they should never have been that bad either.

53 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

The 2 big questions for me are

1) What have we achieved ?  absolutely brilliant Graham, well done sir

2) how have we achieved it ?  eye bleeding at times Graham, must improve.

Job for this season done, please improve  the 'how' next season. 

Agree. Never getting sacked with a top 6 finish. But based on what we have seen some concern for next season is understandable and warranted. You would expect the others”bigger” teams will improve so it’s on GA and the players to improve us next season. 

After four months of torture and poor results Alexander finally changed the set up and the performances over those three games have been well worth the watch. Even at Utd where we were so unlucky to come away with nothing. So credit to the Manager, the Team, the Fans and everybody else who contributed to the turn around and the reward of a European adventure.

Listening to his recent interviews it was encouraging to hear Alexander accept that mistakes had been made and that included by him. Hopefully that acceptance will see a more flexible/proactive approach next season. I think that is what most of Alexander's detractors are looking for. Time will tell if that hope is well placed.

As we are all Well fans the last 2 games have been a pleasant turnaround from a brutal 2022 so far.   Last night was prime example of why we love the Well,  nail-biting from start to finish and a happy ending.  Also 4700 Well fans there which was great .   Just because we won last 2 games I don't think it should be case of saying to those that doubt Alexander (including myself)  "Ha Ha, you got it wrong".  There has been plenty legitimate and valid points for criticising GA which have been discussed lots so I won't bore everyone again.   However I also said I am willing to give him a transfer window as I feel penny has dropped for him on various fronts.   He needs to improve areas of the pitch urgently like Left-Back, Centre Half and another Striker.   At Centre-Half Lamie probably away (though full credit for great attitude since January and 2 HUGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  goals),  Bevis is fine if played there,  Johansen has went downhill after promising start and Ojala is huge mystery as now looks like a liability, his run last night for goal reminded me of Peter Reid trying to catch Maradona at 1986 World Cup!!!     Think we all need to unite and see how the new squad looks for next season and hopefully a dream of reaching Conference League groups.   Lets return in October and see where we are.    If big improvement we are all happy,  if things not going well then a decision needs to be made.   COYWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I would find it hard to believe any true Well fan whether you like Alexander or not would want us to lose last night and miss out on Europe.

I'm with you grizzly but unfortunately I think your wrong. Some strange people in our support as in life.

Booing from some last night at half time was unbelievable.  Saw a couple up at dingwall on Saturday who will make themselves ill by their shouting pish at our boss.

Never saw them at end of both games funnily enough.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I would find it hard to believe any true Well fan whether you like Alexander or not would want us to lose last night and miss out on Europe.

Maybe. There's certainly some characters on this forum who've not been as active since the full-time whistle last night as they would have been had we lost.

• Like 3

Graham Alexander has achieved a lot this season; steering us clear of relegation, a top 5 finish' euro qualification and a quarter final cup run. Ok the league cup was a washout.  So, he's going nowhere and neither should he.

On the debit side, by and large, the football hasn't been very entertaining.

I think what has made it a peculiar season is the distribution of results, which haven't been consitently spread out. A very good first half to the season; shockingly bad run from New Year to early May; and  mini revival in May.  That took its toll on the fans.

Over the summer recess, I hope he continues to reshape and strengthen the squad with the emphasis on the defence and to a lesser extent on the strikers/wingers. Hopefully too, the brand of football will improve. The defence needs more solidity and we need another option up front if KVV is unavailable. Our wing positions need improving. As the core of the squad will remain the same that should help continuity going forward.

No doubt a few players will move and a few will come in, but that shouldn't necessitate a complete annual rebuild Robinson style.

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

As we are all Well fans the last 2 games have been a pleasant turnaround from a brutal 2022 so far.   Last night was prime example of why we love the Well,  nail-biting from start to finish and a happy ending.  Also 4700 Well fans there which was great .   Just because we won last 2 games I don't think it should be case of saying to those that doubt Alexander (including myself)  "Ha Ha, you got it wrong".  There has been plenty legitimate and valid points for criticising GA which have been discussed lots so I won't bore everyone again.   However I also said I am willing to give him a transfer window as I feel penny has dropped for him on various fronts.   He needs to improve areas of the pitch urgently like Left-Back, Centre Half and another Striker.   At Centre-Half Lamie probably away (though full credit for great attitude since January and 2 HUGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  goals),  Bevis is fine if played there,  Johansen has went downhill after promising start and Ojala is huge mystery as now looks like a liability, his run last night for goal reminded me of Peter Reid trying to catch Maradona at 1986 World Cup!!!     Think we all need to unite and see how the new squad looks for next season and hopefully a dream of reaching Conference League groups.   Lets return in October and see where we are.    If big improvement we are all happy,  if things not going well then a decision needs to be made.   COYWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

And breathe grizzlyg :imsohappy:

• Haha 1