Aberdeen v Motherwell 6/11/2021

SteelmaninOZ

Aberdeen have beaten Hibs and Hearts in a week that saw them very unlucky not to leave The Temple of Doom with 3 points as well.

Very difficult to see anything other than a loss here unless there is a dramatic change in the way we set up and get our square and round pegs in the right holes.

You’d hope we’d see a decent reaction.

Last season when we had a really heavy defeat, the reaction was mixed:

Kilmarnock 4-1 (Mar 2021)
Picked up maximum points from next 3 games.

St Johnstone 3-0 (Feb 2021)
Picked up 7 points from next 3 games.

Hamilton 4-1 (Feb 2021)
Picked up 4 points from next 3 games.

Hamilton 3-0 (Jan 2021)
Picked up 2 points from next 3 games.

Hibernian 3-0 (Dec 2020)
Picked up 1 point from next 3 games.

Celtic 4-1 (Nov 2020)
Picked up 1 point from next 3 games.

Rangers 5-1 (Sep 2020)
Picked up 6 points from next 3 games.

We certainly got an improved reaction after Alexander took over but the fact we’re still getting heavy defeats more regularly than you’d normally expect is worrying, can’t see anything but an Aberdeen win.

This would be my team .Thoughts? 

Kelly 

Solholm            Mugabi        Ojala 

O’Hara 

Grimmy            Maguire    Slattery             Carroll 

Watt            VV 

We can all see there needs to be a change in tactics. But there is absolutely no way on earth this manager will change his 433, and as usual we will get overrun in midfield and Aberdeen will take over the middle of the park. 

We will allow them to put cross after cross into the box. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but the man is not for changing anything.

I also posted a while back how Goss was totally useless against Celtic, and was told in no uncertain terms," you can't judge him against Celtic", Who can you judge him against?

Thats one of the teams we play, and since then he has done virtually nothing in the next two games. Shouldn't be in the team, has brought nothing.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

We can all see there needs to be a change in tactics. But there is absolutely no way on earth this manager will change his 433, and as usual we will get overrun in midfield and Aberdeen will take over the middle of the park. 

We will allow them to put cross after cross into the box. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but the man is not for changing anything.

I also posted a while back how Goss was totally useless against Celtic, and was told in no uncertain terms," you can't judge him against Celtic", Who can you judge him against?

Thats one of the teams we play, and since then he has done virtually nothing in the next two games. Shouldn't be in the team, has brought nothing.

To be fair,  he had been injured and it was his first game back, so judging him on that game alone was a bit premature.  Thats not to say you were wrong in your assessment or that Goss will turn out to be any good for us. His performances since then havent really shown any marked improvement. However, he is being asked to play in a 3 man midfield that is outnumbered every week and its worthy of note that Slatterys performances are going backwards after the early promise he showed.  Its clear we need to be trying something different to try and get the best out of our players. If that happens ans Goss is still not showing any improvement after he has had 10 or so games under his belt then I would have to conceed that he maybe doesnt have the quality required to cut it at our level. 

2 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

Yep. I’m not writing him off yet but I don’t think he deserves to be starting games. 

I'd happily take a point from Pittodrie at the best of times, and that will never change. 

This is Scottish football though. I've seen us lose in the past, with everyone talking about how we'll never get anything from our next game against in-form team X, only for us to go in and win comfortably. 

11 minutes ago, Coatsy said:
-------------Kelly----------------
Mugabi  Solholm Lambie Carroll
Justin  Slattery  Donnelly  Goss
       Van Veen     Watt

GA needs to try a front two of KVV and Watt eventually. Think it’d really suit how both of them play while also allowing us to have an extra body in the defence or midfield.

Edited by ZT_1886

39 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

-------------Kelly----------------

Mugabi  Solholm Lambie Carroll

Justin  Slattery  Donnelly  Goss

Van Veen     Watt

You no watching the games we are getting over run in the midfield and u come up wae that . No chance 

----------Kelly-----------------

---Ojala--Mugabi----Lamie

Justin--------------------Carroll

--Slattery--O'Hara---Goss

-----KVV-------Watt

3-5-2 with Justin & Carroll up and down the flanks. KVV up front and not stuck out the left tracking back or left on the bench for a First Division player. Three in midfield but with a bit of support from the two wide men. McGinley nowhere to be seen.

While I agree Goss hasn't done much, he's kept the ball fairly well and has a decent set piece delivery about him. He needs to be much more creative than he has been in order to stay in the team, but with Watt and KVV up top maybe he'll have more movement in front of him than just Shields & co running into the channel.

We were absolutely garbage against St Mirren & Rangers, something has to change. We cannot persevere with 4-3-3 and the same imposters starting this game. If that happens I'll be hovering over towards the 'Alexander Out' camp.

The manager seems too stubborn to change unfortunately. It seems obvious to all of us that some version of 3-5-2 is worth a shot with the current squad and it surely can't be any worse than the shite served up the past wee while. The manager needs to be bold and the players need to step up big time. I would go for......

Kelly

Mugabi  Solholm Ojala

Grimshaw                                                      Carroll 

Donnelly O'Hara Slattery

Van Veen Watt

16 minutes ago, Walker86 said:

The manager seems too stubborn to change unfortunately. It seems obvious to all of us that some version of 3-5-2 is worth a shot with the current squad and it surely can't be any worse than the shite served up the past wee while. The manager needs to be bold and the players need to step up big time. I would go for......

Kelly

Mugabi  Solholm Ojala

Grimshaw                                                      Carroll 

Donnelly O'Hara Slattery

Van Veen Watt

Is this the same Donnelly that hasn’t been in the match squad for the last month ??? 

4 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Is this the same Donnelly that hasn’t been in the match squad for the last month ??? 

If he is injured again and i've missed that then fair enough. If he is fit he should be in the squad and playing. One of our most effective players before his injury. 

12 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Be interesting to see Slattery and Goss in a 4 4 2 rather than a midfield 3 which gets overrun every game.  Goss got good deliveries as shown for watt 1st goal against buddies and our goal yesterday.   

Both of them don't work hard enough so the question is have they ever played in a 3 man midfield when u have to put the graft in . Slattery never got near the 35 year old Steven Davies on Sunday and DT lead him a merry dance against Shellic ,both don't look fit enough  to be first picks 

24 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Both of them don't work hard enough so the question is have they ever played in a 3 man midfield when u have to put the graft in . Slattery never got near the 35 year old Steven Davies on Sunday and DT lead him a merry dance against Shellic ,both don't look fit enough  to be first picks 

Problem is Yodo we don't have many options.....grimshaw....Donnelly.  ..maguire......crawford.   none I would call creative midfielders

11 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Problem is Yodo we don't have many options.....grimshaw....Donnelly.  ..maguire......crawford.   none I would call creative midfielders

Totally agree with you but the fact is neither are Slattery & Goss we need players who will battle for the cause ....

• Like 1