Aberdeen v Motherwell 6/11/2021

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Totally agree with you but the fact is neither are Slattery & Goss we need players who will battle for the cause ....

Ross Tierney the new messiah?

GA quote “He’s an attacking midfielder who can play in the front three, he creates opportunities and can score. He works his socks off and he is still only 20”

just got to hold out until January ☹️

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

GA quote “He’s an attacking midfielder who can play in the front three, he creates opportunities and can score. He works his socks off and he is still only 20”

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

That reminds me of the Malpas season when he was telling everyone about the Irish trio of Danny Murphy, Paul Keegan and Trevor Molloy who were joining in the January and they were going to save our season. 

Come to think of it Alexander is about as inspiring to listen to as Malpas was.

12 hours ago, Yodo said:

Won't matter the formation if Slattery & Goss are in the team we will lose honestly don't get this love in wae Slattery 

Think they would both be fine in a 4 man midfield they are both good passers of the ball if given the time to do so.

Think Sunday’s 3 + Grimshaw doing the donkey work would be an improvement 

Tony Watt + Another up front 

19 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Think they would both be fine in a 4 man midfield they are both good passers of the ball if given the time to do so.

Think Sunday’s 3 + Grimshaw doing the donkey work would be an improvement 

Tony Watt + Another up front 

I would have Slattery in the team

49 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

We have one decent experienced central midfielder in Slattery  but he can't do it all by himself.

personal view is the issue isn't the players - the 3 man midfield is a nonsense.   Slattery has limitations , this is why he plays for us not Southampton. 

Donnelly, O'Hara, Slattery & Goss should all be good enough to do a job but only playing 3 isn't setting them up for success.

Appreciate it's old fashioned but a 4-4-2 worked for over a century - can''t be that ridiculous an idea. 

33 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

personal view is the issue isn't the players - the 3 man midfield is a nonsense.   Slattery has limitations , this is why he plays for us not Southampton. 

Donnelly, O'Hara, Slattery & Goss should all be good enough to do a job but only playing 3 isn't setting them up for success.

Appreciate it's old fashioned but a 4-4-2 worked for over a century - can''t be that ridiculous an idea. 

Should’ve stopped reading at O’Hara and good enough to do a job in the same sentence…

Pray tell how 4-4-2 betters the current 3 midfield unless you’re matching up similar opposition?

59 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Was 2-3-5 when I started going to the games. Must be older than I think I am. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Should’ve stopped reading at O’Hara and good enough to do a job in the same sentence…

Pray tell how 4-4-2 betters the current 3 midfield unless you’re matching up similar opposition?

Appreciate we all see things differently . 

many of the games our midfield get over run and there’s little link play moving forward .

having 4 or 5 through midfield would give us more strength and I think we can afford to go with 2 up front .

just an opinion - not that it matters hugely as GA likely to continue with 4-3–3

29 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Appreciate we all see things differently . 

many of the games our midfield get over run and there’s little link play moving forward .

having 4 or 5 through midfield would give us more strength and I think we can afford to go with 2 up front .

just an opinion - not that it matters hugely as GA likely to continue with 4-3–3

I’d disagree. Midfield currently not set up to be as combative/dominant as most would like with stats aligning with that. The retaining shape over retaining the ball isn’t being overrun hence,  the repeated tactic. 

4-4-2 or variation doesn’t equate to more strength? Leaves 2 central midfielder inevitably against 3 who are being overlapped by fullbacks taking a high line - that’s being overrun. St Mirren exploited that.

12 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Why not go for a 2-3-5 it lasted even longer?

Two interesting stats I read in today's Scotsman that I'll post here rather than in a new thread.

Callum Slattery has contested more defensive duels (121) than any other player in the Premiership this season. He also heads the list for most fouls won per 90 mins and total fouls won, as well as being the leader in total fouls conceded.

Liam Kelly is first for both saves and shots faced, (but not for goals conceded).

17 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Two interesting stats I read in today's Scotsman that I'll post here rather than in a new thread.

Callum Slattery has contested more defensive duels (121) than any other player in the Premiership this season. He also heads the list for most fouls won per 90 mins and total fouls won, as well as being the leader in total fouls conceded.

Liam Kelly is first for both saves and shots faced, (but not for goals conceded).

And for some reason that amount of work is not recognised by some. If Slattery had others around him who played a bigger part he’d be a terrific midfielder and up there with some of the best in the division.