Aberdeen v Motherwell 6/11/2021

SteelmaninOZ

I think we need to stop criticising the players. The way we setup to play means their job is to close down the opponent, we are always out numbered in midfield and the tactics mean our full backs are always under pressure. 

Alexander needs to get his thumb out his arse and change us to a 3-5-2 pronto.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, johnstone said:

I think we need to stop criticising the players. The way we setup to play means their job is to close down the opponent, we are always out numbered in midfield and the tactics mean our full backs are always under pressure. 

Alexander needs to get his thumb out his arse and change us to a 3-5-2 pronto.

I think a lot of people on here agree with moving to 3-5-2. It seems a better system to get the best out of the players we have. However appears that GA doesn’t see it that way. I think we would have a solid back 3 with decent cover for any injuries etc. probably get more out of O’Donnell and Carroll would be a better fit on the left side and up front Tony Watt plus one would hopefully be getting more chances created for them.  I think the performances, individual and team wise would improve immensely moving from 4-3-3 to 3-5-2

9 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I think a lot of people on here agree with moving to 3-5-2. It seems a better system to get the best out of the players we have. However appears that GA doesn’t see it that way. I think we would have a solid back 3 with decent cover for any injuries etc. probably get more out of O’Donnell and Carroll would be a better fit on the left side and up front Tony Watt plus one would hopefully be getting more chances created for them.  I think the performances, individual and team wise would improve immensely moving from 4-3-3 to 3-5-2

Unfortunately 352 just leads to  playing 532 and still overrun especially if the full backs don't overlap. Also are we good enough to retain possession, if not 352 leaves huge gaps behind the wing backs for quick counter attacking teams

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

And for some reason that amount of work is not recognised by some. If Slattery had others around him who played a bigger part he’d be a terrific midfielder and up there with some of the best in the division. 

He's been shown to be out his depth in the last 5 games 

5 minutes ago, weeyin said:

A bit like your posts, but I imagine he'll keep playing and you'll keep posting.

I think it's very hard for u to judge as your only seeing it on your TV and the cameras are not focusing on Slattery.Unfortunately  I have to admit with the shite that's get served up on the park watching Slattery even off the ball has become a hobby  for me IMO he's not fit and can't play in 3 man midfield 

2 hours ago, Coatsy said:

Unfortunately 352 just leads to  playing 532 and still overrun especially if the full backs don't overlap. Also are we good enough to retain possession, if not 352 leaves huge gaps behind the wing backs for quick counter attacking teams

Well that’s thing it’s not so much the formations a team plays but more applying the principles of the game. Spread out when in possession and compact when not in possession. How do you transition between defense and attack or attack to defense. We are terrible at these basic concepts, because I think, the tactics seem to be howf it and chase. So your point is valid in that, regardless of formation, if we persist with the same tactics we are not going to make any formation work. 

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

Two interesting stats I read in today's Scotsman that I'll post here rather than in a new thread.

Callum Slattery has contested more defensive duels (121) than any other player in the Premiership this season. He also heads the list for most fouls won per 90 mins and total fouls won, as well as being the leader in total fouls conceded.

Liam Kelly is first for both saves and shots faced, (but not for goals conceded).

Stats? Pffft! No place for that kind of chat round these parts! who needs stats when you have under-qualified opinions and rants? 

12 minutes ago, David said:

Stats? Pffft! No place for that kind of chat round these parts! who needs stats when you have under-qualified opinions and rants? 

That's why its a fans forum :huh:. If your looking for something more serious think you need to look elsewhere. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how deluded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Well Well said:

That's why its a fans forum :huh:. If your looking for something more serious think you need to look elsewhere. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how deluded.

Completely agree with this.

The above is a shocker of a post from a mod. 

• Like 2

We can discuss all we like about using 352 or 442 of any other formation we think might work. But I would like a bet with William Hill that the manager will continue with his preferred 433 formation., no matter what.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I ain't holding my breath.

Not bothered about formations, I would like to see our players showing for the ball and people finding their man with their passes.  Keep the passes to 10 yards to eliminate the risk of error and progress the play forward.  At some point get someone to put it in the net.

34 minutes ago, ropy said:

Not bothered about formations, I would like to see our players showing for the ball and people finding their man with their passes.  Keep the passes to 10 yards to eliminate the risk of error and progress the play forward.  At some point get someone to put it in the net.

I agree with that,I do think we need a change in formation but it will mean nothing if we still sit back and allow the opposition all the possession they want and freedom in the wide areas.we must be the easiest team in the league to play against as we don't even do the basics,alexander has to have a serious rethink and come up with a new plan a,if he doesn't then this poor run were on will only continue.

18 hours ago, Well Well said:

That'll be a bit of a whoosh then? It was a sarcastic post, I'm not actually saying no one should post unless they have hard stats to back up their information! 

The stats in question are very telling, mind you.

Anyone think Alexander will change to a 3-5-2 for Dons game or his favoured 4-3-3.

Strikes me his stubborn side will win and it’ll be the later.

Im of the opinion we’ve  got the players for 3-5_2 and it would work .

At present our two full backs with all there inadequacies are being hung out to dry with the current formation 

The feeling I got from  the stands at last weeks debacle was that the fans are becoming very restless with 

1. The formation                       
2 The style of the football  and lack of creativity.                                         

Think we’re at a tipping point with Alexander and his tactics now. Could go either way in the next few weeks .

On a separate note is Lesley still involved with the first team . 

1 hour ago, David said:

That'll be a bit of a whoosh then? It was a sarcastic post, I'm not actually saying no one should post unless they have hard stats to back up their information! 

The stats in question are very telling, mind you.

you do know sarcasm has a smiley so that people understand where you are coming from, as far from a whoosh as you can get

• Sad 1