Aberdeen v Motherwell 6/11/2021

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, Mintymac said:

Anyone think Alexander will change to a 3-5-2 for Dons game or his favoured 4-3-3.

Strikes me his stubborn side will win and it’ll be the later.

Im of the opinion we’ve  got the players for 3-5_2 and it would work .

At present our two full backs with all there inadequacies are being hung out to dry with the current formation 

The feeling I got from  the stands at last weeks debacle was that the fans are becoming very restless with 

1. The formation                       
2 The style of the football  and lack of creativity.                                         

Think we’re at a tipping point with Alexander and his tactics now. Could go either way in the next few weeks .

On a separate note is Lesley still involved with the first team . 

Im with you 100% MINTY.

Agree 3-5-2 would be good - its easy to flex to 5-3-2 when under the pump

Also agree 100% - GA appears a stubborn so and so.   Don't see it changing. 

2 hours ago, Coatsy said:

Dose anyone else feel that the penny has dropped when alexander is talking about team pressing which has so far been sadly lacking with players standing so far off the opposition. Hoping for a drastic improvement this week

Giving the opposition the majority of possession will have come from Alexander, that’s being his game plan and it’s difficult to suddenly change that mentality. I don’t believe it was ever sustainable moving forward, it was always going to backfire at some stage. We really lost the game against Rangers right from the off, we might have taken the lead but the tactics were suicidal and he’s got to move away from that and show a more positive attitude. The wonderful things happening in training have to start being replicated on match days, too much quality in the squad to play the type of football we’ve seen this season other than the Hibs game which showed how we could play against a very good team with a different mentality.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

we have very capable players moving forward  who can cause damage. 

We do need to push the play further up the park and quite simply start passing rather than blootering it up the park and missing out the midfield. 

This.

Its not rocket science.

Got to agree. We can all pick any kind of alternative formation but until GA takes the shackles off and instructs our guys that its good to actually have a go and play football rather thsn sitting back being confident we can 'defend our own box', then we are going to keep seeimg the same shite served up.

10 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

my worry listening to the pre match vid is he talks about defending better. 

We wouldn't need to fecking defend if we kept the damn ball - as you say, not rocket science. 

Im hoping the "lessons learned" means that we press and defend from the front. That way we might not have to defend our own box so much as we will have more of the ball winning it higher up the field.

• Like 1

I’d like to think that by “defending better” GA means actually competing in the middle of the park and not standing off wide players allowing them to rain cross after cross into our box which we have proved time and again that we aren’t capable of defending. 

But I won’t hold my breath sadly.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

my worry listening to the pre match vid is he talks about defending better. 

We wouldn't need to fecking defend if we kept the damn ball - as you say, not rocket science. 

Absolutely, the defence and specifically the full backs come in for lots of stick but look at the amount of defending they actually have to do in 90 minutes. If we actually retained possession more often it would make a huge difference.

17 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Mcginley starts!!!, no offence to him but just makes no sense

Mcginley is dire,I'm not a big fan of carroll either but out of the two he is the better player.we can't keep persisting with these two much longer,a new left back is a must.

• Thanks 1

So, persisting with the crap formation, taking the only footballer out of midfield and leaving a badly underperforming centre half at left back.....

I'm not a sack the manager type normally, but this guy is a fucking idiot.

(Will happily eat my words/hat if required).

• Like 1

Well we carry plenty of height, would think that would be enough to get Carroll in as his delivery is decent.

Though Maguire has a decent delivery as well so with him in the team as well as Goss a third set piece taker isn't required.

McGinley is generally a better defender so I assume that's why Alexander has him in.

Surprised at the midfield trio. Not the combination I'd have expected.

See what happens I suppose.

I am usually a half glass full type of guy but that midfield gives me the fear. Happy with the defence other than McGinley and unless we are actually trying to keep the ball I can see them defending for the full 90 minutes as that midfield will be completely over run. Alamo springs to mind and we are not the Mexicans

I like Alexander's brash demeanor and his no nonsense style.

Unfortunately his team selections, formation and general football management ability seem to be rank rotten. McGinley starts AGAIN. 4-3-3 AGAIN. Either Watt or KVV shunted out the left AGAIN!

Fuck sake man. Gonna get absolutely pumped now.