Aberdeen v Motherwell 6/11/2021

SteelmaninOZ

A thoroughly enjoyable second half. Goss and KVV making the difference. Ricki Lamie too, what a performance. He is extremely solid for us when called upon which is remarkable considering how genuinely horrific he was for the first few months of his Motherwell career.

I can only hope one day to love somebody as much as Lewis Irons loves Liam Kelly.

• Like 1

Well that was as brilliant a result as it was unexpected. The least said about the first half the better but in the second half we actually looked like a team that could compete and two very well taken goals by the big man.

We always seem to get big results against Aberdeen when we need them, that has been a bit of a trademark of ours over the past few years.

As ever get it RIGHT up Aberdeen, their dour pussed followers and their army of cheerleaders on Radio Scotland. I’m away to pour a G&T and listen to Richard Gordon’s crestfallen dulcet tones.

Credit to Lamie coming on and playing well. He’s looked solid this season so far. Bevis again having a good game at right back. Woolery contributed well when he came on to take pressure off the defense and we managed the last 10 mins pretty well. If only we can fix the midfield. Did see a wee bit more from Goss this week so maybe he will continue to contribute more as each game goes by.  Thought O’Hara put in a power of work but still no “football” from the midfield and still too many slack passes but certainly more tolerable when you get the 3 points. 

Great 3 points,I love our ability to get a big result over that lot.the second half was much better,we pressed when we needed too and scored 2 really well worked goals,I thought we sat back a little bit to much towards the end of the game but we defended our box brilliantly,we kept our shape which was impressive.i had the fear a bit when ojala went off as he was playing really but lamie done ever so well when he came on,it was great to see kelly at his best too.

Honestly I had us down for getting pumped this weekend.  It was certainly a game of two halves, the frustrating thing was when we came out firing straight out the blocks in the second half they just didn't look comfortable at all and we got two quick goals, nice to see some real quality as well, before scoring it looked like we were denied a stonewall penalty as well. Delighted with the result and three points, also great to see the Aberdeen melt down on social media as well.

9 minutes ago, David said:

5th in the table after beating Aberdeen 2-0 away from home?

Not bad considering our manager apparently hasn't got a clue what he's doing, eh?

Was that sarcasm again by the way?   Can you please keep using the correct emoji ,just so as I know.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

How many games is SOD suspended for?

let’s hope it’s for few!

Well Bevis has given GA that problem to deal with. Does he drop him after another good display in that position?  Im still not keen on McGinley. Dare we put Lamie there or is Lamie only reliable at middle o defense?  I prefer Carroll over McGinley but obviously GA doesnt. Hard to argue with top 6 placing after away win at Aberdeen, 2 games into second round of fixtures. 

Lamie was brilliant when he came on, threw himself at everything. I've moved on from thinking he's a bombscare, he's a solid center back.
I thought McGinley was fine too, he got overrun when they switched to a back 4, but bringing on Carroll nullified that. Once mugabi realizes he can just run through people up the right wing he's going to be a fun right back to watch.

Solholm was really shaky in the first half, and almost cost us a couple of times. He was better in the second half, and Ojala was solid until he had to go off

The midfield was awful. One day I'll understand the tactics around it. The win column suggests it works, bit it is not fun at all to watch. Slattery willost likely be back for the next game.

Those finishes from VV were excellent, and Goss played his part in both goals. If we can get decent deliveries into the box Watt and VV will score plenty.

Kelly is the man.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AllyMax said:

So, persisting with the crap formation, taking the only footballer out of midfield and leaving a badly underperforming centre half at left back.....

I'm not a sack the manager type normally, but this guy is a fucking idiot.

(Will happily eat my words/hat if required).

Big plate of words and hats for dinner tonight. Yum :-)

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:
Hopefully he does, international defender who not only gets lambasted by his nation, but also by his own support, makes you wonder why we signed him and made him captain. It was not only one player changed today, No Slattery, KVV started up front, Mcguire in midfield along with  O'hara defending right hand side in front of Bevis, who kept it simple by not overlapping or putting in crosses and in some instances dropping to make a 3 at the back. As I said earlier, if SOD had made a bollocks of the pass back in the first half he would have been slated, but fortunately Kelly bailed him out. It was a typical Alexander backs to the wall perfomance. Unlike St Mirren where a Bevis and Kelly mistake let them back in the game. But hay ho Bevis is brilliant. 

It’s the captain’s curse.
I felt he did alright last season without being spectacular but got a lot of undeserved criticism due to his involvement in the Scotland setup creating higher expectations.

This season the stats don’t lie, 1 win in 9 league games with SOD at right back. 4 wins in 4 with Mugabi there. Mugabi isn’t perfect at the back but he is better than SOD at driving forward with the ball, something we’ve desperately needed these past couple of weeks.

Edited by ZT_1886

22 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Hopefully he does, international defender who not only gets lambasted by his nation, but also by his own support, makes you wonder why we signed him and made him captain. It was not only one player changed today, No Slattery, KVV started up front, Mcguire in midfield along with  O'hara defending right hand side in front of Bevis, who kept it simple by not overlapping or putting in crosses and in some instances dropping to make a 3 at the back. As I said earlier, if SOD had made a bollocks of the pass back in the first half he would have been slated, but fortunately Kelly bailed him out. It was a typical Alexander backs to the wall perfomance. Unlike St Mirren where a Bevis and Kelly mistake let them back in the game. But hay ho Bevis is brilliant. 

No not a case of Bevis is brilliant but results speak for themselves, I was an O'Donnell fan last year he was a big upgrade on Grimshaw who was in that position, but you have got to agree he has been no where near as effective this year. Whether that's a hang over from the Euro's  and the slaughtering that he got from some parts i don't know but he will know himself that he needs to pick his game up.  Nice guy and comes over well off the pitch but i don't think he is Captain material on-field.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

A thoroughly enjoyable second half. Goss and KVV making the difference. Ricki Lamie too, what a performance. He is extremely solid for us when called upon which is remarkable considering how genuinely horrific he was for the first few months of his Motherwell career.

I can only hope one day to love somebody as much as Lewis Irons loves Liam Kelly.

Enjoyable for 10 mins, great result but we a re hard to watch. After the absolute pish of the previous 5 games the result was always going to be  more important than the performance but we play some amount of mind numbing stuff.